Mekhi Becton Isn’t Alone When it Comes to Jets Durability Concerns at OT

Written by Glenn NaughtonMax-Mitchell-2-scaled.jpg

While plenty has been made of Mekhi Becton and his lengthy injury history, there are plenty of durability concerns up and down the offensive tackle depth chart for Robert Saleh’s New York Jets.  Becton of course, has missed all but a handful of snaps over the past two seasons but he’s not along in missing large chunks of time.

From all indications Becton is ready to roll for 2023, as he’s looking better now than he has at any point since becoming a Jet.  But there are questions beyond Becton.

Starting left tackle Duane Brown missed five games before ending the year on injured reserve with a torn rotator cuff.  Robert Saleh recently commented on Brown’s status as the team’s starting left tackle and said Brown will be a “hard out”, but given his age (38) and injury history, there will be lingering concerns.

One of the biggest surprises of this offseason was the @nyjets not bringing in a more durable backup at OT where their group missed a ton of time in 2022.

2022 games missed:

Becton: 17
Mitchell: 11
Turner: 9
*Warren: 9
Cajuste: 7
Brown: 5

*University of Pitt

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) June 16, 2023

Rookie tackle Max Mitchell outplayed his draft slot in 2022 when a rash of injuries rushed him in to action, but that was short lived as Mitchell himself would land on IR as a result of blood clots, missing eleven contests.  Becton, Brown and Mitchell would end up missing a total of 33 games.

With the offseason now behind them, the Jets made some moves to add some depth at left tackle but most of those imports have had injury issues of their own.  Rookie tackle Carter Warren out of Pitt missed nine games of his own while Billy Turner, formerly of the Packers and Broncos, missed nine weeks.

Yodny Cajuste is the least likely tackle to make the final roster and if he does, his list of red flags rivals that of  Becton’s.  Cajuste missed five games last season which for him, was a banner year.  Since being drafted in 2019, Cajuste has missed two full seasons for multiple injuries while playing in a total of just 17 games.

The post Mekhi Becton Isn’t Alone When it Comes to Jets Durability Concerns at OT appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

5 hours ago, JetNation said:

Written by Glenn NaughtonMax-Mitchell-2-scaled.jpg

While plenty has been made of Mekhi Becton and his lengthy injury history, there are plenty of durability concerns up and down the offensive tackle depth chart for Robert Saleh’s New York Jets.  Becton of course, has missed all but a handful of snaps over the past two seasons but he’s not along in missing large chunks of time.

From all indications Becton is ready to roll for 2023, as he’s looking better now than he has at any point since becoming a Jet.  But there are questions beyond Becton.

Starting left tackle Duane Brown missed five games before ending the year on injured reserve with a torn rotator cuff.  Robert Saleh recently commented on Brown’s status as the team’s starting left tackle and said Brown will be a “hard out”, but given his age (38) and injury history, there will be lingering concerns.

One of the biggest surprises of this offseason was the @nyjets not bringing in a more durable backup at OT where their group missed a ton of time in 2022.

2022 games missed:

Becton: 17
Mitchell: 11
Turner: 9
*Warren: 9
Cajuste: 7
Brown: 5

*University of Pitt

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) June 16, 2023

Rookie tackle Max Mitchell outplayed his draft slot in 2022 when a rash of injuries rushed him in to action, but that was short lived as Mitchell himself would land on IR as a result of blood clots, missing eleven contests.  Becton, Brown and Mitchell would end up missing a total of 33 games.

With the offseason now behind them, the Jets made some moves to add some depth at left tackle but most of those imports have had injury issues of their own.  Rookie tackle Carter Warren out of Pitt missed nine games of his own while Billy Turner, formerly of the Packers and Broncos, missed nine weeks.

Yodny Cajuste is the least likely tackle to make the final roster and if he does, his list of red flags rivals that of  Becton’s.  Cajuste missed five games last season which for him, was a banner year.  Since being drafted in 2019, Cajuste has missed two full seasons for multiple injuries while playing in a total of just 17 games.

The post Mekhi Becton Isn’t Alone When it Comes to Jets Durability Concerns at OT appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

I'm not too concerned going into this year.  I understand that Tippman is a center, but if need be, we could always insert Tippman at center, move our current center to guard, and move Vera Tucker to tackle.  In addition, we drafted a tackle in the 4th round, so he would be another backup.  Becton, Brown, Max.  If one goes down, we are still in good shape.  If 2 go down, again, we can move Tucker to tackle.  And beyond that, we signed these other guys that can fill in.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Adrian Amos, Duane Brown, Billy Turner, CJ Mosely, Aaron Rodgers

the 2023 Jets is a roster full of players who were great 2-3 years ago and are probably too old now 

Can Aaron Rodgers beat Duane Brown in the 40? It's gonna be close, but my $'s on Brown

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Can Aaron Rodgers beat Duane Brown in the 40? It's gonna be close, but my $'s on Brown

aside from the speed loss, how does a guy rehabbing his shoulder for 2 years do any upper body workouts? 

the answer is he can't

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Brown is a bull moose who played thru a torn rotator cuff. Now that he's had surgery, he'll be fine. He's played what, 20 years? without missing any time. A true warrior.

Max Mitchel had Covid-19 vaccine blood clots (he survived, most didn't) so he'll be fine going forward. He'll be on blood thinners the rest of his life, so as long as he doesn't get a paper cut and bleed out in the huddle, we have our RT of the future. 😡

Becton lost 754🤣 pounds and is down to his fighting weight, so hopefully his twice repaired knee cap will hold up just fine.

The other dudes I know nothing about, but I'm sure they are all great since they are now on the JETS and Aaron had the most fun he's had in years. Can't have fun if you're counting light bulbs!

Unlikely he’s on blood thinners. You don’t play a violent game like football  on blood thinners - that’s asking for a serious bleed. Probably stayed on anticoagulant for about 3-6 months assuming he has no intrinsic clotting disease. Your point is well taken that it probably was vaccine induced which is why he won’t have to stay on anticoagulants longterm

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Durability, Becton is like a brand new car you drive out dealership and it get totalled the moment you leave.

A "lemon" is a term for a car with a significant defect or malfunction that makes it unsafe to drive, although the exact definition can vary from state to state. Examples include non-working or faulty brakes, engines, transmission, or lights.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

aside from the speed loss, how does a guy rehabbing his shoulder for 2 years do any upper body workouts? 

the answer is he can't

So you're saying that a guy can play football in the NFL where he uses his arms to run and pass block every play against 300 lb monsters but cant lift weights or do anything to strengthen his arm and shoulder?   Think about that for a minute.

And taking your statement at face value, did you see evidence that he was impacted in his on field performance by his shoulder injury?  Did his lack of "upper body workouts" impact his play?

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The Jets Tackle situation has to be one of the worst in the NFL.

It's as bad as I can remember.

I have to disagree.  They have three quality starter caliber players, a decent backup, and a highly regarded rookie.  

They do all have injury history though. 

57 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

So you're saying that a guy can play football in the NFL where he uses his arms to run and pass block every play against 300 lb monsters but cant lift weights or do anything to strengthen his arm and shoulder?   Think about that for a minute.

And taking your statement at face value, did you see evidence that he was impacted in his on field performance by his shoulder injury?  Did his lack of "upper body workouts" impact his play?

Yeah dude. They give em drugs to play football. They pay the price during the week (and don't practice), and then they do it again. 17 times in Brown's case. 

Also yes his on the field performance was impacted by the injury. He's not a bad player but he's certainly not what he used to be either. 

Strength is the last thing to go (hence the phrase, old man strength. Brown might be getting healthier but the ordeal of the last season (and the 12 before that) means he's also getting weaker. This playing through pain, constant rehab it comes at a price. 

put it another way everyone's relying on Duane Brown to be this Pro Bowl player he used to be, and Saleh's talking him up, but that's all hype. At 37 or 38 he's basically done. Most OL are done around 30. How Brown has managed to hang on this long is a wonder but I say this with no sarcasm or irony Becton is probably a better NFL player than Brown at this point in Brown's career. Even with Becton missing 2 years of games. That's how little gas is left in the tank on Brown 

5 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Brown is a bull moose who played thru a torn rotator cuff. Now that he's had surgery, he'll be fine. He's played what, 20 years? without missing any time. A true warrior.

Max Mitchel had Covid-19 vaccine blood clots (he survived, most didn't) so he'll be fine going forward. He'll be on blood thinners the rest of his life, so as long as he doesn't get a paper cut and bleed out in the huddle, we have our RT of the future. 😡

Becton lost 754🤣 pounds and is down to his fighting weight, so hopefully his twice repaired knee cap will hold up just fine.

The other dudes I know nothing about, but I'm sure they are all great since they are now on the JETS and Aaron had the most fun he's had in years. Can't have fun if you're counting light bulbs!

Good post except for the covid vaccine fake out. Mitchell has a diagnosed genetic disorder called factor V thrombophilia. It causes blood clots aka thrombosis.

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

he's messing around with bands and what not he's not bench pressing 

You don't know his exact injury or what kind of surgery he had.  Everything you are saying is completely without basis in fact or evidence. 

Bands are used  early in rotator cuff surgery rehab, not at 6 months post surgery.

On 6/17/2023 at 2:50 PM, Kleckineau said:

Good post except for the covid vaccine fake out. Mitchell has a diagnosed genetic disorder called factor V thrombophilia. It causes blood clots aka thrombosis.

Which is why he should NEVER have taken the vacc. The same vacc that's been banned from England due to blood clots. 

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Which is why he should NEVER have taken the vacc. The same vacc that's been banned from England due to blood clots. 

Good morning Doctor. Maybe you should just stop. He was born with this genetically acquired disorder. Your uninformed voo doo based opinion is worthless.

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2023 at 10:21 AM, bitonti said:

Adrian Amos, Duane Brown, Billy Turner, CJ Mosely, Aaron Rodgers

the 2023 Jets is a roster full of players who were great 2-3 years ago and are probably too old now 

Yes, you can say that it does seem like there are quite a few 35+ oline men starters all through the nfl so I don’t think I’d be that concerned about brown. I am concerned about becton although this is a contract year so he has every incentive to play hard.

27 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Good morning Doctor. Maybe you should just stop. He was born with this genetically acquired disorder. Your uninformed voo doo based opinion is worthless.

Maybe. Yes maybe Mitchell’s issues are genetic in nature but you can apply genetics to just about every human condition known and not be entirely wrong. As for the vax, the research needs to be done to see if it is causing problems. It usually takes years to prove out new vaccines.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Yes, you can say that it does seem like there are quite a few 35+ oline men starters all through the nfl so I don’t think I’d be that concerned about brown. I am concerned about becton although this is a contract year so he has every incentive to play hard.

there's actually NO 35+ age starting OL in the NFL other than Duane Brown 

DBrick retired at age 30 that's like the industry standard

LT Duane Brown - 37
C Jason Kelce - 35
LT Trent Williams - 34
RT Riley Reiff - 34
RT Kelvin Beachum - 34

Duane Brown is the oldest "starter" In the league by 2 years - well done 

in fact the case can be made he's not really a starter anymore that's how done he is as a player 

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

OK Grasshopper....so a person born with a genetically acquired disorder for deadly blood clots should take an experimental Vacc which is known to cause blood clots 🤣. Got it! Thanks!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

There are at least two of us here with that "genetically acquired disorder for deadly blood clots."  Probably a sh*t load more since nobody actually knows because they don't generally test you until you start getting clots.  I went well over 50 years without knowing or even having a slight issue that I was aware of, so did the rest of my family who presumably passed down this "genetically acquired disorder for deadly blood clots."

The thing I don't understand is how they intend to let him play?  The treatment is blood thinners.  Then when you are on the blood thinners they tell you no contact sports.  They even told me basketball was a contact sport, though I called bullsh*t when the hematologist told me "well, you can't play full court."  He seemed confused when I told him that there is way more contact in half court.  I guess they can keep him off the thinners and just monitor him, but all the travel probably will take some toll too. 

• Upvote 1