Ranking 10 Worst Contracts in NFL Ahead of 2023 Season : CJ Mosley Ranked #7

Guess who's No. 5....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10079004-ranking-10-worst-contracts-in-nfl-ahead-of-2023-season

7. C.J. Mosley, LB, New York Jets

4 OF 10

FLORHAM PARK, NEW JERSEY - JUNE 6: Linebacker C.J. Mosley #57 of the New York Jets talks to reporters after the teams OTAs at Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on June 6, 2023 in Florham Park, New Jersey. (Photo by Rich Schultz/Getty Images)
Rich Schultz/Getty Images

Remaining contract: Two years, $34 million

The New York Jets were hoping to get a high-production field general who could set the tone and lead their defense when they signed C.J. Mosley to a a huge contract in 2019. While they may have eventually got something close to that, it took a while to reach this point.

Coming off a fantastic run with the Baltimore Ravens—the 2014 first-round pick earned four Pro Bowl and four second-team All-Pro nods in his first five seasons with the club—the Alabama product scored a five-year, $85 million deal from Gang Green on the open market. That massive deal for an off-ball linebacker—a position that many teams will not invest large sums of cash into—hasn't exactly paid dividends for New York.

Mosley has been hindered with injuries for much of his tenure with the organization, including missing 30 of a possible 32 games in the two years that followed the signing. When he finally returned to action in 2021. Mosley looked like a shell of his former self. Although he did secure 168 tackles and recorded a pair of forced fumbles and sacks, he finished the year with an atrocious 42.0 PFF grade.

Things looked a bit better for Mosley and the Jets last year, as he returned to Pro Bowl form while starting all 17 games. Despite the accolades, Mosley still only notched a 69.8 PFF grade, a mark that indicates he's an average talent at this late stage of his career. It's certainly not production worthy of a $17 million salary in 2023. If he slips, Gang Green may decide to cut Mosley in 2024 when he's on the books for $21.5 million but has a dead cap number of $10.4 million.

5 hours ago, juxsta said:

None of it guaranteed.

It might come down to taking a pay cut or being cut for Mosley as soon as this year. He wouldn’t get half of that on the open market, maybe not even a quarter. In the end, I expect him to accept a reduction. 

• Upvote 4

Bet he gets restructured, traded or cut, but if you think about it the Jets don’t have anyone to replace him 
Exactly this ... He's a great locker room leader guy that is past his prime.

I'm guessing pay cut.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

1. Mosley is overpaid at this stage, but a great locker room guy...even if just above average at MLB

2. Mosley is far from a problem on this team, and we have no one to replace him

3. Mosley isn't keeping us from signing anyone, the jets have tons of flexibility

4. Next year is next year

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Exactly this ... He's a great locker room leader guy that is past his prime.

I'm guessing pay cut.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

JD clearly shows how he values LBs on this team,  offering starting gigs at the last minute to street free agents and limiting his drafts to Day 3 developmental guys.  This Mosley Macc deal must irritate the piss out of him...

2 hours ago, slats said:

None of it guaranteed.

It might come down to taking a pay cut or being cut for Mosley as soon as this year. He wouldn’t get half of that on the open market, maybe not even a quarter. In the end, I expect him to accept a reduction. 

This definitely needs to happen, and very soon.  It needs to be before he even steps out onto the practice field for a single snap in camp, as an injury would make this mess even worse.  The restructuring of Mosley last year was obviously a bad move from the moment it happened, and JD has shown himself to be guilty of the sunk cost fallacy on a few occasions already.  Maccagnan was obviously at fault for the initial awful contract, but JD owns responsibility for the amount of dead money still being carried around for CJ, so gets no more excuses in his need to address it.

CJ is little more than a JAG at this point, despite his rah rah demeanor, so he needs to paid accordingly or sent packing.  That contract is without question the #1 place the remaining money needs to come from for them to be able to make Rodgers' contract a real one.

• Upvote 1

He certainly is over paid at this stage but it has already been pointed out they don’t have a replacement yet and if he is cut then they have to absorb some pretty hefty dead cap.  But does restructuring actually help much? I’m no capologist but if they restructure doesn’t that push money even further out so the dead cap doesn’t come off the books until later? I think the only way they restructure is if they need cap space to sign a player this season. They seem to have a decent amount of space now although they haven’t dealt with qwill and Rodgers yet.

On 6/17/2023 at 9:09 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Jamal should be # 1 on that list.

Russ is going to have a bounceback year under Sean Payton and Stafford is a SB-winning QB.  Both of those guys are, stupidly, higher on their list than Adams, a Box Safety who can’t cover and who has missed as many games (25) as he’s played in in Seattle.  

Agree about Russ and it’s a no brainer Adams is the NFL’s worst contract. But I think Stafford is done.

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2023 at 1:41 PM, juxsta said:

Guess who's No. 5....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10079004-ranking-10-worst-contracts-in-nfl-ahead-of-2023-season

7. C.J. Mosley, LB, New York Jets

4 OF 10

FLORHAM PARK, NEW JERSEY - JUNE 6: Linebacker C.J. Mosley #57 of the New York Jets talks to reporters after the teams OTAs at Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on June 6, 2023 in Florham Park, New Jersey. (Photo by Rich Schultz/Getty Images)
Rich Schultz/Getty Images

The New York Jets were hoping to get a high-production field general who could set the tone and lead their defense when they signed C.J. Mosley to a a huge contract in 2019. While they may have eventually got something close to that, it took a while to reach this point.

Coming off a fantastic run with the Baltimore Ravens—the 2014 first-round pick earned four Pro Bowl and four second-team All-Pro nods in his first five seasons with the club—the Alabama product scored a five-year, $85 million deal from Gang Green on the open market. That massive deal for an off-ball linebacker—a position that many teams will not invest large sums of cash into—hasn't exactly paid dividends for New York.

Mosley has been hindered with injuries for much of his tenure with the organization, including missing 30 of a possible 32 games in the two years that followed the signing. When he finally returned to action in 2021. Mosley looked like a shell of his former self. Although he did secure 168 tackles and recorded a pair of forced fumbles and sacks, he finished the year with an atrocious 42.0 PFF grade.

Things looked a bit better for Mosley and the Jets last year, as he returned to Pro Bowl form while starting all 17 games. Despite the accolades, Mosley still only notched a 69.8 PFF grade, a mark that indicates he's an average talent at this late stage of his career. It's certainly not production worthy of a $17 million salary in 2023. If he slips, Gang Green may decide to cut Mosley in 2024 when he's on the books for $21.5 million but has a dead cap number of $10.4 million.

I'm kind of surprised Stafford  made this list at #2. He won a Championship for them his forst year and had an off season his next. Also The Rams bad season wasn't  all on Stafford, the D was pretty bad as well. They averaged giving up slightly over 23 points a game.

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2023 at 8:39 PM, peekskill68 said:

JD clearly shows how he values LBs on this team,  offering starting gigs at the last minute to street free agents and limiting his drafts to Day 3 developmental guys.  This Mosley Macc deal must irritate the piss out of him...

This is why I wanted the Jets to take a LB in the forst round. I was fairly certain the Jets were going defense even though everyone had them taking an OT. We will see how things work out but LB was a need. 

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Agree about Russ and it’s a no brainer Adams is the NFL’s worst contract. But I think Stafford is done.

Agreed, just was thinking it all paid off with the SB win so even if the contract was bad, at least it was for a SB-winning QB.  No real comparison between that and a Box Safety who has actually been outplayed by other Safeties on the roster the times he’s been hurt…which have been often.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Agreed, just was thinking it all paid off with the SB win so even if the contract was bad, at least it was for a SB-winning QB.  No real comparison between that and a Box Safety who has actually been outplayed by other Safeties on the roster the times he’s been hurt…which have been often.  

It’s like Rodgers.  If he were to deliver a SB this year would anyone, anywhere care about how much we paid him?  

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Chances are he will never play a full season again. Unless Seattle starts winning games and he feels it will help his brand, he won’t see the field. Pretty sure he has done what he set out to do. Inflate his brand and get paid. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It’s like Rodgers.  If he were to deliver a SB this year would anyone, anywhere care about how much we paid him?  

You and I usually agree, but I think you are missing the point here.  The article is rating contracts heading forward.  Past performance is irrelevant.  It's analyzing what contracts are bad based on the return the team will get in the future - what production the players will provide in relation to the cost .  When you consider that, the Wilson is an absolute albatross that will hamstring the Broncos for years. They can't get out of the contract until 2027.  And the Stafford contract is pretty bad too, costing the Rams $40 million per through 2025.  Stafford may be done.  

The worst thing an NFL team can do is overpay for past performance for players that are done or declining.  It's worse than a missed draft pick because the rookie contracts are cheap.  That is why signing older players like Hopkins and Cook is an issue for many teams and why those players are having a hard time finding a landing spot.  A big part of the game for GMs is paying a player based on what he will give you going forward and not based on what he did in the past.  

So yes - Jets fans will be more than happy to pay Rodgers his $ if he delivers a SB in 2023.   But if he doesn't, things could get very ugly in 2024 and 2025 with that contract to pay while Rodgers plays golf in Malibu. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm kind of surprised Stafford  made this list at #2. He won a Championship for them his forst year and had an off season his next. Also The Rams bad season wasn't  all on Stafford, the D was pretty bad as well. They averaged giving up slightly over 23 points a game.

Presumably the reason he's on the list is he got that new contract extension after they won a championship. If he doesn't bounce back in a big way, that extension is brutal for them. Prior to that it looks like he had 1 year left at $23MM for 2022.

Yeah easy to say in hindsight, but that's what this list is. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2023 at 10:00 PM, Larz said:

Will and Mike 

He was playing in the middle at his very best with Tampa.

I don't have a big concern he'd be such a visible downgrade from Mosley, so much as 2022 was the first time other than his first 2 seasons in '15 & '16 that Alexander didn't miss multiple games to injury (if not outright finishing the regular season on IR, as he did in '18, '19, and '20). 

31 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You and I usually agree, but I think you are missing the point here.  The article is rating contracts heading forward.  Past performance is irrelevant.  It's analyzing what contracts are bad based on the return the team will get in the future - what production the players will provide in relation to the cost .  When you consider that, the Wilson is an absolute albatross that will hamstring the Broncos for years. They can't get out of the contract until 2027.  And the Stafford contract is pretty bad too, costing the Rams $40 million per through 2025.  Stafford may be done.  

The worst thing an NFL team can do is overpay for past performance for players that are done or declining.  It's worse than a missed draft pick because the rookie contracts are cheap.  That is why signing older players like Hopkins and Cook is an issue for many teams and why those players are having a hard time finding a landing spot.  A big part of the game for GMs is paying a player based on what he will give you going forward and not based on what he did in the past.  

So yes - Jets fans will be more than happy to pay Rodgers his $ if he delivers a SB in 2023.   But if he doesn't, things could get very ugly in 2024 and 2025 with that contract to pay while Rodgers plays golf in Malibu. 

I agree.  Except when we’re talking QBs who improve a team greatly, could get that team to the playoffs and more.  I agree with the fiasco in Denver but to me the issue was thinking he had enough left to make up for their swing and miss.  
I get what you’re saying, i didn’t want to overpay for Adams, Bell, etc and don’t just like I don’t want to overpay for Cook.  
It is a gamble with Rodgers but I think, hope, he has enough left to make watching our Jets more enjoyable and at least entertaining and relevant again.  It’s been to friggen long.  I miss the days when on my way to games I thought we would win

47 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah easy to say in hindsight, but that's what this list is. 

Exactly.  This list is totally hindsight.  When we signed Mosley even to that big deal I don’t remember anyone in the media complaining about what he was paid.  Or that he wasn’t worth it.  It was we were getting a stud from the Ravens D, who new how to play the game, that he was a pro bowl, all pro.  Made the pro bowl 4 of his first 5 seasons, etc etc.  

Then he was injured in his first game killing year 1 and he opted out because of COVID while he had 2 elderly parents living with him.  The year 3 version was ok, along with whatever he adds to the team.  Now the numbers don’t work for the return, especially after getting nothing back in his 1st 2 seasons

Just like with Russ and Stafford.