..checklist : 3 things team needs to accomplish before training camp

jtomm

Story by Nick Faria 

we have officially entered the dead period of the NFL season where offseason practices have concluded and most players go on vacation before the start of training camp. While the New York Jets are one of the teams to cancel a part of their program altogether, that doesn’t mean they don’t have things to accomplish during this period of relative quiet.In fact, unlike most teams, the Jets have some essential items to check off before the start of training camp in late July. Failure to get even one of these things accomplished could very well alter how the team does during the regular season. 

Here are three things the team needs to accomplish during the next month to put them on the right track for the start of camp. 

1. Extend Quinnen Williams…finally

It’s the big ticket item now that Aaron Rodgers is a member of the New York Jets. Williams wants to be paid like the second-best interior defensive linemen and for good reason. The First-Team All-Pro tackle recorded double-digit sacks last season and is widely considered the best of his position outside of Aaron Donald.The fact that a deal has not been agreed to is alarming in itself. The Jets have plenty of ways to manipulate the cap to better serve them to bring back Williams on the deal he wants. The longer the team waits to get a deal done, the harder, and more pressure they will be under once camp draws closer.New York needs to get a deal done…and fast.

2. Restructure Aaron Rodgers’ contract

Here’s another key part of the Jets’ offseason checklist that they need to figure out quickly. Bringing Rodgers to New York was a major win for the franchise, but keeping him here for the next two years, while building a championship team around him is the next part of the goal.Rodgers may carry a simple cap hit of just over $1 million in 2023, but that number balloons to over $100 million next season, if a contract restructures isn’t worked out in the near future. That would effectively hurt the Jets’ chances of adding key pieces they need for next season, as well as starting to sign current starters to contract extensions.In short, if they don’t get Rodgers’ deal altered, the Jets could very well be in cap hell next season. 

3. Bring in an additional third safety

We have not received an update on the type of injury that Chuck Clark sustained, only that it is potentially season-ending. New York reacted quickly by bringing in Adrian Amos but that signing isn’t enough.The Jets had one of the worst overall groups of safeties in the NFL last season, ranked just 28th according to Pro Football Focus. Having Jordan Whitehead and Amos as their starters won’t be enough either. Ashtyn Davis and Tony Adams are serviceable backups, but if New York wants to be considered true contenders, and their defense to be the best in the league, improving their depth in the back end is incredibly important.Top names still available in free agency include John Johnson, Marcus Allen, and even former Jets safety, LeMarcus Joyner.Bringing Joyner back would be an interesting question for New York to answer, but it’s clear that they need to address the safety position more than they’ve already done so to this point. 

>>  Jets checklist: 3 things team needs to accomplish before training camp (msn.com)

8 hours ago, jtomm said:

Story by Nick Faria 

we have officially entered the dead period of the NFL season where offseason practices have concluded and most players go on vacation before the start of training camp. While the New York Jets are one of the teams to cancel a part of their program altogether, that doesn’t mean they don’t have things to accomplish during this period of relative quiet.In fact, unlike most teams, the Jets have some essential items to check off before the start of training camp in late July. Failure to get even one of these things accomplished could very well alter how the team does during the regular season. 

Here are three things the team needs to accomplish during the next month to put them on the right track for the start of camp. 

1. Extend Quinnen Williams…finally

It’s the big ticket item now that Aaron Rodgers is a member of the New York Jets. Williams wants to be paid like the second-best interior defensive linemen and for good reason. The First-Team All-Pro tackle recorded double-digit sacks last season and is widely considered the best of his position outside of Aaron Donald.The fact that a deal has not been agreed to is alarming in itself. The Jets have plenty of ways to manipulate the cap to better serve them to bring back Williams on the deal he wants. The longer the team waits to get a deal done, the harder, and more pressure they will be under once camp draws closer.New York needs to get a deal done…and fast.

2. Restructure Aaron Rodgers’ contract

Here’s another key part of the Jets’ offseason checklist that they need to figure out quickly. Bringing Rodgers to New York was a major win for the franchise, but keeping him here for the next two years, while building a championship team around him is the next part of the goal.Rodgers may carry a simple cap hit of just over $1 million in 2023, but that number balloons to over $100 million next season, if a contract restructures isn’t worked out in the near future. That would effectively hurt the Jets’ chances of adding key pieces they need for next season, as well as starting to sign current starters to contract extensions.In short, if they don’t get Rodgers’ deal altered, the Jets could very well be in cap hell next season. 

3. Bring in an additional third safety

We have not received an update on the type of injury that Chuck Clark sustained, only that it is potentially season-ending. New York reacted quickly by bringing in Adrian Amos but that signing isn’t enough.The Jets had one of the worst overall groups of safeties in the NFL last season, ranked just 28th according to Pro Football Focus. Having Jordan Whitehead and Amos as their starters won’t be enough either. Ashtyn Davis and Tony Adams are serviceable backups, but if New York wants to be considered true contenders, and their defense to be the best in the league, improving their depth in the back end is incredibly important.Top names still available in free agency include John Johnson, Marcus Allen, and even former Jets safety, LeMarcus Joyner.Bringing Joyner back would be an interesting question for New York to answer, but it’s clear that they need to address the safety position more than they’ve already done so to this point. 

>>  Jets checklist: 3 things team needs to accomplish before training camp (msn.com)

Bring back L Joyner - the midget safety .   I told you the guy was garbage but all Jet fans told me the Raiders didn’t play him at his natural Fs .   Well I was right( doesn’t happen much ) but I nailed that one.     Well not hard to do when see a player play for your team.     
You don’t bring back a liability because he’s familiar with the team . If you have serious Super Bowl aspirations you have to upgrade those weaknesses . Go out and get a safety that will be an upgrade whether it’s signing someone eventually cut, or trade for one. 

Bring back L Joyner - the midget safety .   I told you the guy was garbage but all Jet fans told me the Raiders didn’t play him at his natural Fs .   Well I was right( doesn’t happen much ) but I nailed that one.     Well not hard to do when see a player play for your team.
You don’t bring back a liability because he’s familiar with the team . If you have serious Super Bowl aspirations you have to upgrade those weaknesses . Go out and get a safety that will be an upgrade whether it’s signing someone eventually cut, or trade for one. 

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, varjet said:

John Johnson should be on the team already.  The Jets are trying to be cute. 

Agreed. There is no reason not bring him in, especially at the low salary he will get. Plus you can create savings after signing him by simply cutting Ashtyn Davis.

• Upvote 1

The three points seem right. They need to make sure qwill is signed before training camp so he’s ready to play on game one. Same thing with Rodgers although that seems more about salary structure so they don’t get too hamstrung in future years. And they probably do need a safety with Clark being injured.  But is there someone already on the team? Maybe this is Davis’s breakout season. Can Bryce hall play safety?

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

The three points seem right. They need to make sure qwill is signed before training camp so he’s ready to play on game one. Same thing with Rodgers although that seems more about salary structure so they don’t get too hamstrung in future years. And they probably do need a safety with Clark being injured.  But is there someone already on the team? Maybe this is Davis’s breakout season. Can Bryce hall play safety?

Maybe Guidry moves to safety 

7 hours ago, rangerous said:

2 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Maybe Guidry moves to safety 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

That’s my point. They have quite a few dbs in camp and it’s possible one shakes out as a safety.

They do have quite a few DBs in camp.  Why does the one that shakes out as a safety have to be a corner?  Guidry seems like a singularly poor choice for safety.  A teeny fast slot corner does not seem like a great choice for safety.  They already replaced Clark.  They signed Adrian Amos.  They have Tony Adams.  Maybe Jimmy Moreland or Jarrick Bernard Converse might switch from corner.  They both have played S before, but why move a failed corner with a poor athletic profile like Hall?  Even JBC seems questionable since he succeeded more in man than zone.  They have a couple of UDFA that are interesting too in Trey Dean and Marquis Waters.  I don't get why everybody thinks Adams is not going to be good enough, but they made such a huge blunder not protecting Pinnock.

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

They do have quite a few DBs in camp.  Why does the one that shakes out as a safety have to be a corner?  Guidry seems like a singularly poor choice for safety.  A teeny fast slot corner does not seem like a great choice for safety.  They already replaced Clark.  They signed Adrian Amos.  They have Tony Adams.  Maybe Jimmy Moreland or Jarrick Bernard Converse might switch from corner.  They both have played S before, but why move a failed corner with a poor athletic profile like Hall?  Even JBC seems questionable since he succeeded more in man than zone.  They have a couple of UDFA that are interesting too in Trey Dean and Marquis Waters.  I don't get why everybody thinks Adams is not going to be good enough, but they made such a huge blunder not protecting Pinnock.

Because Guidry is a hard hitter that is tight and compact and has the speed to catch up to mistakes and he likes to hit and he is athletic... He is not good enough to be a corner which is why FS would be perfect.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/javelin-guidry/32004755-4911-3029-e5ed-6225f14e0e33

12 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Because Guidry is a hard hitter that is tight and compact and has the speed to catch up to mistakes and he likes to hit and he is athletic... He is not good enough to be a corner which is why FS would be perfect.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/javelin-guidry/32004755-4911-3029-e5ed-6225f14e0e33

Look, I'm pretty aware of the prospect.  I was a big fan of picking up him and not that Lamar Jackson as UDFA.  If you think he is a good safety prospect, fair enough.  What kind of safety do you envision him being?  I can see him as a sort of slot corner/S hybrid which is kind of how I saw Joyner.  I think Carter II can swing to that role as well.  

I am completely confused as to why you would use that draft profile.  I clicked on it expecting to read how he would be a good prospect to move to safety, but the way I read that he sounds like an awful safety prospect.  "lacking necessary feel for both man and zone coverages...his anticipation is not yet fully developed... " 

Liking his speed seems like something you'd want at the back end, but the list of his weaknesses scream that he would be a terrible fit for that and they mention his lack of size/strength at the point of attack.  You don't want drag down tacklers that get steam rolled by bigger backs in the box and you don't want poor instincts and a lack of ball skills and pattern recognition in centerfield.  It literally reads like @pointman's scouting report on Ashtyn Davis at safety.  You could still be right, Zierlein really isn't the best source, but I don't see why you would think that profile helps the case.  If you want a ballhawking safety, I think Jimmy Moreland is the guy.  He certainly was in college and he has NFL experience.  Though he wasn't great he had 10 starts and has played S and CB.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1