should jets add more help ?

jtomm

With training camp less than a month away, Jets general manager Joe Douglas is done with the heavy lifting when it comes to building his 2023 roster. And obviously, the biggest building block was the trade for Aaron Rodgers.But while the main roster pieces are in place, there are still plenty of other decisions to be made between now and the start of the regular season. And with the Jets now viewed as true contenders — in Las Vegas and among the talking heads — they are suddenly an attractive option to add veterans who care about winning and still have something to contribute.

So which players make sense for the Jets? Here are a few players who are still looking for a home that would fit well in Florham Park.

RB Kareem Hunt

The Jets have been linked to other more notable free agent running backs, including Ezekiel Elliott and Dalvin Cook. But Hunt might be the best potential option to give them insurance and depth as Breece Hall returns from a torn ACL. Hunt is coming off a rough season in which he averaged a career low 3.8 yards per carry and 6.0 yards per reception and the Browns didn’t try to re-sign him after reportedly believing he has lost speed. That should make the price right for Hunt, who turns 28 in August and will be highly motivated to prove he still can be an explosive, dual-threat weapon out of the backfield.

DT Linval Joseph

The Jets hosted Joseph for a workout last October, before he ultimately ended up signing with the Eagles and playing a key role in their run to the Super Bowl. But it could be a better fit this time around with the Jets now viewed as contenders with Rodgers at quarterback and after they lost two of their top run stuffers this offseason in Sheldon Rankins and Nathaniel Shepherd. Joseph would fit in with the Jets pass rushing rotation and after starting his career helping the Giants win a Super Bowl, doing the same with the Jets to end it would be a sweet bookend.

DE Justin Houston

Carl Lawson looks great two years removed from a ruptured Achilles, and John-Franklin Myers, Bryce Huff, 2022 first-round pick Jermaine Johnson and rookie first-round pick Will McDonald will all be staples in the pass-rushing rotation. But the Jets could always use a veteran to give them added depth and options. And Houston is an intriguing option. The 34-year-old is coming off a 9.5-sack season — he’s had more sacks in a season just once since 2014 — despite playing a career-low 44 percent of the snaps. But he might be looking for more than the $4.5 million he earned in Baltimore last year.

QB Teddy Bridgewater

There’s a history between the Jets and Bridgewater, who relaunched this career in Florham Park back in 2018 after a horrific knee injury — they traded him to the Saints that preseason and kept Josh McCown to backup then-rookie Sam Darnold. Bridgewater never got back to being the promising starter he showed flashes of early in his career, but he’s a reliable backup and gives the Jets a non-Zach Wilson option in case Rodgers misses any time.

>>  https://www.nj.com/jets/2023/06/should-jets-add-more-help-for-aaron-rodgers-these-available-veterans-would-be-a-good-fit.html

6 minutes ago, jtomm said:
  • P

QB Teddy Bridgewater

There’s a history between the Jets and Bridgewater, who relaunched this career in Florham Park back in 2018 after a horrific knee injury — they traded him to the Saints that preseason and kept Josh McCown to backup then-rookie Sam Darnold. Bridgewater never got back to being the promising starter he showed flashes of early in his career, but he’s a reliable backup and gives the Jets a non-Zach Wilson option in case Rodgers misses any time.

Love how this was downvoted to Hades when I first suggest it months ago and now the media are all hopping on board

Its Happening Ron Paul GIFthe me

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Love how this was downvoted to Hades when I first suggest it months ago and now like 5 national outlets are on board.

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

I'd downvote pretty much all of these too.  Kareem Hunt lost speed?  Perfect!  The Jets have 5 guys that are "staples in the pass rush rotation?"   Let's sign a 34 year old looking for $5M+ per season!  Joseph made sense before they signed Jefferson and Woods.  Bridgewater is pretty meh for me.  I get the desire, but for me most of the money should go to lower Rodgers hit next  year or add real pieces - probably at WR.  Houston is the only one of those guys I'd consider a get, but they are pretty stocked at DE.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'd downvote pretty much all of these too.  Kareem Hunt lost speed?  Perfect!  The Jets have 5 guys that are "staples in the pass rush rotation?"   Let's sign a 34 year old looking for $5M+ per season!  Joseph made sense before they signed Jefferson and Woods.  Bridgewater is pretty meh for me.  I get the desire, but for me most of the money should go to lower Rodgers hit next  year or add real pieces - probably at WR.  Houston is the only one of those guys I'd consider a get, but they are pretty stocked at DE.

I only quoted the Teddy B bit. Zach is garbage. Teddy would be an elite QB2. No one is pushing him as our starter.

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Is this still true? I wonder. 

He looked awful last year as Miami's #2

He threw 79 passes last year. He was more than fine as a starter the year prior. Sample sizes, my friend.

Just now, jgb said:

He was more than fine as a starter the year prior. Sample sizes, my friend.

True. I just remember being shocked at how bad he looked. 

I also think it's a little surprising he's still available. I remember there being some chatter about the Lions signing him as a backup during free agency. 

Either way, I think the Jets would have already brought a backup QB in if they were going to do it. Once they let Zach take the #2 reps in OTAs, I figured that dream was dead. The only thing I could see happening now is Zach just being so bad in camp that they have to make a move. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

True. I just remember being shocked at how bad he looked. 

I also think it's a little surprising he's still available. I remember there being some chatter about the Lions signing him as a backup during free agency. 

Either way, I think the Jets would have already brought a backup QB in if they were going to do it. Once they let Zach take the #2 reps in OTAs, I figured that dream was dead. The only thing I could see happening now is Zach just being so bad in camp that they have to make a move. 

Well he only threw 79 passes. Even "looking awful" he completed 62% of them for 4 TDs/4 INTs and a passer rating of 85. That right there is not terrible for a QB2 anyway. I think impressions of last year are heavily influenced by the fact he kept getting hurt. As a 15-game starter the year prior he was 65% / 18 TDs / 7 INTs, passer rating 95. That's elite QB2 territory. 

53 minutes ago, jgb said:

Love how this was downvoted to Hades when I first suggest it months ago and now the media are all hopping on board

Its Happening Ron Paul GIFthe me

You can continue harping on it in every thread every day but there is no indication that Zach will not be  #2 on opening day and for the season

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You can continue harping on it in every thread every day but there is no indication that Zach will not be  #2 on opening day and for the season

That doesn't mean it's not colossally stupid.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, jtomm said:

With training camp less than a month away, Jets general manager Joe Douglas is done with the heavy lifting when it comes to building his 2023 roster. And obviously, the biggest building block was the trade for Aaron Rodgers.But while the main roster pieces are in place, there are still plenty of other decisions to be made between now and the start of the regular season. And with the Jets now viewed as true contenders — in Las Vegas and among the talking heads — they are suddenly an attractive option to add veterans who care about winning and still have something to contribute.

So which players make sense for the Jets? Here are a few players who are still looking for a home that would fit well in Florham Park.

RB Kareem Hunt

The Jets have been linked to other more notable free agent running backs, including Ezekiel Elliott and Dalvin Cook. But Hunt might be the best potential option to give them insurance and depth as Breece Hall returns from a torn ACL. Hunt is coming off a rough season in which he averaged a career low 3.8 yards per carry and 6.0 yards per reception and the Browns didn’t try to re-sign him after reportedly believing he has lost speed. That should make the price right for Hunt, who turns 28 in August and will be highly motivated to prove he still can be an explosive, dual-threat weapon out of the backfield.

DT Linval Joseph

The Jets hosted Joseph for a workout last October, before he ultimately ended up signing with the Eagles and playing a key role in their run to the Super Bowl. But it could be a better fit this time around with the Jets now viewed as contenders with Rodgers at quarterback and after they lost two of their top run stuffers this offseason in Sheldon Rankins and Nathaniel Shepherd. Joseph would fit in with the Jets pass rushing rotation and after starting his career helping the Giants win a Super Bowl, doing the same with the Jets to end it would be a sweet bookend.

DE Justin Houston

Carl Lawson looks great two years removed from a ruptured Achilles, and John-Franklin Myers, Bryce Huff, 2022 first-round pick Jermaine Johnson and rookie first-round pick Will McDonald will all be staples in the pass-rushing rotation. But the Jets could always use a veteran to give them added depth and options. And Houston is an intriguing option. The 34-year-old is coming off a 9.5-sack season — he’s had more sacks in a season just once since 2014 — despite playing a career-low 44 percent of the snaps. But he might be looking for more than the $4.5 million he earned in Baltimore last year.

QB Teddy Bridgewater

>>  https://www.nj.com/jets/2023/06/should-jets-add-more-help-for-aaron-rodgers-these-available-veterans-would-be-a-good-fit.html

These idiots said the same thing about leveon as they are saying about hunt. As for the other guys, maybe a dlinemen is warranted. Bridgewater played some good games but is he better than a John Johnson or other journeymen that can be found. And let’s not forget that Zach did win five games last season and also had a couple of fourth quarter comebacks.

another point is these players will still most likely be available at the start of training camp.  One week I and the jets should know if they need additional depth or upgrade.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be against adding some more OL depth.  That being said - there aren't many good ones out there and none of them are tackles.  Dalton Risner is still a free agent and is an above average pass blocker but I am not sure he is worth the coin.  Rodgers has to stay on his feet - Bottom line.  The one thing that calms me more than other years is it is overly apparent that Rodgers is wayyyyyyy smarter and has tons more experience than the QB's that were on the field last year.  If he see's it coming he wont take the hit.

IMHO it's time to be patient and wait until mid-preseason. Wait until the pressure of roster cuts have guys on other teams who are not now  available come loose, and any FA's still out there will be ready to cut a deal to get on a team. I figure every front office has a new wall chart with all the guys who could help that will be $$ casualties or displaced by younger/cheaper players. Play it close to the vest, settle the Q and AR contracts, and be prepared for an opportunity.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

These idiots said the same thing about leveon as they are saying about hunt. As for the other guys, maybe a dlinemen is warranted. Bridgewater played some good games but is he better than a John Johnson or other journeymen that can be found. And let’s not forget that Zach did win five games last season and also had a couple of fourth quarter comebacks.

another point is these players will still most likely be available at the start of training camp.  One week I and the jets should know if they need additional depth or upgrade.

I think the point is that we'd want them in to learn the system.  If we would know if they suck and we need more one week into training camp, doesn't that indicate that the "It was stupid to cancel mini-camp" crowd has a point?

28 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the point is that we'd want them in to learn the system.  If we would know if they suck and we need more one week into training camp, doesn't that indicate that the "It was stupid to cancel mini-camp" crowd has a point?

I think I initially thought cancelling didn’t matter much but I am more inclined to think this team needs all the off season work it can get. Saleh had better be right about this.

21 hours ago, jgb said:

I only quoted the Teddy B bit. Zach is garbage. Teddy would be an elite QB2. No one is pushing him as our starter.

What does "elite QB2" mean? A really bad starting QB? 

Bridgewater didn't look great last year. On top of a not great performance, he sustained two concussions and a broken finger that ultimately required Miami to start their QB3 the last game of the season. Maybe you have a different standard, but I wouldn't call losing both games you start, leaving two games with injuries and forcing the team to play a QB3 "elite" or even really good. If Bridgewater isn't winning games as a backup, there's really no difference between playing Bridgewater, ZW, or Boyle and certainly no reason to pay a premium for a team with four QBs already on the roster.

Regardless, ZW is guaranteed money. He's on the roster unless somebody trades for him. 

12 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

doubtful on RB.  unless progress has taken a big step back for hall

It’s June and he hasn’t been cleared to practice yet. If he returns to his former self he would be one of 3 RBs to do that in recent years. Most are not as good first year back. Rodgers when he was with Hack threw to the backs a lot. 

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

What does "elite QB2" mean? A really bad starting QB? 

A guy who could start in spurts without fans vomiting, is a start.

Bridgewater didn't look great last year.

Sample sizes. Year prior he was much better over significantly greater sample size with much worse weapoinzz

On top of a not great performance, he sustained two concussions and a broken finger that ultimately required Miami to start their QB3 the last game of the season.

Compared to Iron Man Wilson?

Maybe you have a different standard, but I wouldn't call losing both games you start, leaving two games with injuries and forcing the team to play a QB3 "elite" or even really good.

Again sample size with some egregious recency bias. I can’t get one Zachophant to acknowledge or even try to explain away Teddy’s 2021 season as an 15-GAME NFL STARTER with pretty efficient production. They just ignore it and hammer on his measly 79 pass attempts last year.

If Bridgewater isn't winning games as a backup, there's really no difference between playing Bridgewater, ZW, or Boyle and certainly no reason to pay a premium for a team with four QBs already on the roster.

Who said anything about “a premium?” Just a subtle attempt to shift the narrative. If you want to debate someone who’s arguing to pay above market value for a steady-hand JAG QB, you should go find them. And I will bet you right now that Teddy, at 30 years old will surpass every meaningful stat of 23-year-old Zach Wilson for the remainder of their respective careers. Zach is absolutely terrible, I mean like historically awful. He’s Rosen Redux. What the hell are people watching?

Regardless, ZW is guaranteed money. He's on the roster unless somebody trades for him. 

Sunken cost fallacy. I’m not saying cut him, but do we really need to put him one concussion away from the field in a Super Bowl or bust year?