per PFF - Jets OL ranked in bottom half

jtomm

Billy Riccette 
June 21, 2023 

There’s obvious excitement in the air surrounding the new-look offense for the New York Jets now that Aaron Rodgers is behind center. But to get that offense moving, the Jets will hope for better luck from their offensive line than they had in 2022.Injuries crushed the unit last season, including Mekhi Becton’s knee injury during training camp and Alijah Vera-Tucker’s triceps injury in the middle of the season. The Jets look much healthier this time up front and that could go a long way toward helping the Jets make a run this season.

However, in the eyes of Pro Football Focus’s Sam Monson, the Jets will have to overcome a unit that is among the bottom ten of the league. In his recent rankings of the 32 offensive line groups, the Jets come in at No. 23.

Projected Starting Lineup

LT Duane Brown
LG Laken Tomlinson
C Joe Tippmann
RG Alijah Vera-Tucker
RT Mekhi Becton – Missed all of 2022 injured

• The tackles are the biggest concern for the Jets. Duane Brown is now almost 38 and visibly declining, while Mekhi Becton has played fewer than 800 snaps in three years.
  • Aaron Rodgers‘ arrival could immeasurably help the overall performance of the line. He is as good at manipulating a pocket as any quarterback in the game.
Best Player: Alijah Vera-Tucker
  • Alijah Vera-Tucker, unfortunately, played in just seven games last season, but he has shown elite play inside at guard. He allowed only one sack across 276 pass-blocking snaps.

The line was definitely concerning last season, both in terms of injuries and play on the field. But with better quarterback play, the shortcomings could be masked somewhat as the Jets could be more explosive on offense. It may not be ideal to have a 38-year-old that dealt with shoulder issues at left tackle, but that gets balanced out a little by having a potential breakout star in Vera-Tucker. This is another chance for the Jets to prove people wrong.

>>   https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2023/06/21/jets-offensive-line-ranked-in-bottom-half-by-pff/

I was told that we have a 5x probowler at LT, and he played with one arm last season.  
We also have a pro bowl caliber LG
We drafted the best Center prospect in the draft.
And the other 2 positions may actually be the highest ceiling players for their respective positions, in AVT and Becton. 

I even thought that we did well to add competition for the backup positions to ensure that even our depth got significantly improved. 

I say no worse than top-5 with a veteran QB. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Rankings and predictions have to be closely aligned with recent performance. Based on that logic, putting Jets OL in bottom half makes sense. 

Including Mitchell, 4 potential starters didn’t complete last season. How do you justify giving the Jets a higher ranking. 

You justify it with the “P” word. Jets certainly have the potential to be a top quarter OL. And we all hope they live up to their potential. But…. We’ve been here before to our regret. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

I get the concern over Brown and his age, but "visibly declining?"  He did need shoulder surgery.  We knew that from early on and he has had it.  Maybe he is declining.  Maybe he was just hurt.  

I guess they felt he already had a down year in 2021, but they mocked him to Indy.  

Brown’s 71.5 PFF grade in 2021 was his lowest mark since his rookie season in 2008, but the 36-year-old is still a reliable pass protector who does a good job of avoiding negative plays in the run game. We’ve seen high-end tackles like Andrew Whitworth and Jason Peters play well into their late 30s. There’s no reason Brown can’t join that group and be a strong short-term starting option on a Colts offensive line that already has plenty of other pieces in place.

The 15-year veteran started all 17 games for the Seahawks in 2021 and has only missed 4 starts in the last three NFL seasons—despite playing in the always physical trenches.

Per PFF this past season (subscription), Brown was their 37th best graded offensive tackle with a +71.5 overall grade. In pass protection, he surrendered 8.0 sacks and 33 total QB pressures during 585 total pass blocking snaps.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/3/12/22973645/pff-lists-seahawks-lt-duane-brown-as-perfect-free-agent-match-for-colts

I bet Matt Ryan wished they'd made that move.  Maybe Reich would still be employed. 

And? Based on last seasons play it’s hard to get too excited over the oline. They should be good but so much depends on becton finally playing the way he should, avt and brown coming back strong from injury, Tomlinson wanting to prove last season was an anomaly. How they ultimately play will depend on how much time they actually spend as a unit and without serious injuries.

Can't wait for the OL to look solid due to Rodgers' influence only for [mention=28731]Dunnie[/mention], [mention=28455]FidelioJet[/mention], etc to stumble in whining about the OL "never playing that well for Zach".  
So to be clear .. your assertion is that you need a hall of fame QB to field an average OL??

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

So to be clear .. your assertion is that you need a hall of fame QB to field an average OL??

This post just shows how little you understand the dynamic between a QB and his OL and why Sacks Taken are considered a "QB stat".  

The QBs job includes:

• Making effective pre-snap reads
  • Making the right decision on where to throw
  • Stepping up into the pocket as necessary
  • Extending plays when necessary
  • Getting the ball out quick as often as possible

If a QB sucks at all of those things (which Zach did and likely still does), he makes that OLs job quite difficult.  Yes, he even sucks at "extending plays when necessary", because he 1) Would do that entirely too often, thus cutting the field in half for himself, and 2) Making poor decisions even in those instances. 

Every time you assert that Zach Wilson was "running for his life out there" (he wasn't, and the numbers demonstrate he actually had an above average amount of time to throw per NFL standards), in actuality it was his own damn fault most of the time that it appeared that way, because he sucks at all 5 objectives above.

Rodgers is good at all of those things so he's going to make his OL look good next season.

To answer your question:  No, it does not require a hall of fame QB to make an OL look "average".  It requires at least a competent QB to do that in most instances.  But sure, certainly Rodgers being HOF-caliber will make the Jets OL (about an average NFL unit) look like a top 10 or 12 one.  Because that's what good QB's do:  Make everyone else around them better.  Bad QBs like Zach Wilson do the opposite.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

It’s a real risk. We added 2 OL in the draft (1 likely to play a significant role this year). JD added Amos quickly when Clark went down; I’m guessing that he is watching and planning on OL help as camp begins, performance develops and certain players become available.

• WTF? 1

16 hours ago, Morrissey said:

I don't think he's wrong. Not sure how you can count on or be super confident in any of these guys. Brown is old sh--t, Tomlinson was bad last year, Tippman is a rookie, AVT is coming back from injury (I like him obv) and Becton is a loser.

^^  this   😎

• Thumb Down 1

15 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Good QB's often make o-lines look better. It's a mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship. Then there's the other side of that coin ...

And Zach Wilson couldn’t read a blitz if Tom Brady was behind him specifically pointing it out for him and White and Flacco both were less mobile than my grandmother who is in a wheelchair 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The way the stats world selectively chooses to view sacks is bizarre sometimes. It’s been known for years that it’s *almost* definitively a QB driven number and even the numbers guys that literally cite the sh*t that report that finding still blame the OL. 

Is it maybe an individual versus team thing?  Sacks as a team stat are often really the QBs fault.  As an individual stat, I think it may lean more on being the weak link.  If your QB gets the ball out quick and you are giving up sacks, you suck.  If you QB holds the ball all day and you are the guy giving up sacks, you might be okay, but are probably the weak link of your line.  

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

No.  I’m thinking the assertion is anyone who does what’s needed to help an OL like make the right presnap reads, where to go in the face of a blitz, to step up in the pocket to avoid the sack would help the OL.  No one said you need a HOF QB, just Zach hasn’t proven he can do it while most others can at this point.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Looking over the front page of JN, does the OP start any threads that don’t include the words worst, bottom etc? 

No because they are trying to point out the negative... Joins Bit and Fib as bitter old men that are unhappy with anything the team does.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

And Zach Wilson couldn’t read a blitz if Tom Brady was behind him specifically pointing it out for him and White and Flacco both were less mobile than my grandmother who is in a wheelchair 

And even then, they took sacks on less than 5 % of plays.  

Compare that to super athletic off platform scrambling extending plays Zach Wilson, who took sacks on 9 % of snaps.  

This has all been explained to folks like @Dunnie numerous times but somehow he still sees pass blocking as this big issue.  It isn't.  It's a QB issue.

"Running for his life out there" is a term that needs to die a swift death.  Competent QBs rarely have to do this.  Yes, some OLs out there are really bad but that wasn't the case here.  And even if they ARE really bad it isn't always an enormous hindrance.  Justin Herbert set the rookie passing TD mark behind the # 32 graded OL in the league.  And he isn't some mobile freak out there.  Joe Burrow has had OL issues since he entered the league.  Didn't stop him from success.

• Upvote 1