Next Gen Top 10 Coverage Players of 2022: You'll be SHOCKED at who is # 2 (OK not really)

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/

Next Gen Stats' top 10 coverage players of 2022: James Bradberry reigns, but what a debut for Sauce!

Rank

wuijnrfo8hrjtncdimpc

New York Jets · CB
  • Passer rating allowed: 62.9
  • Catch rate allowed below expectation: -8.4%
  • Tight-window percentage: 30.9%
  • Target rate: 15.7%
  • Average separation: 2.5 yards
  • TARGETED EXPECTED POINTS ADDED: -28.8

The Defensive Rookie of the Year ballot was little more than a formality by the time the regular season ended, and if anyone thinks Sauce earned that honor based on nickname notoriety, these numbers stand as proof that Gardner is much more than just hype (and a sweet wing sauce deal). Gardner embodied the shutdown corner moniker in 2022, blanketing opposing pass catchers at an elite rate and denying scoring opportunities at a premier level in his debut NFL season.

Gardner's NFL-high 20 passes defensed and two interceptions made for one of the top ballhawk rates in the entire league (24.7%), and opposing offenses who deemed it advantageous to attack a rookie soon learned they'd made a grave mistake. Of 81 targets as the nearest defender, Gardner allowed just 39 receptions. His coverage success rate was excellent.

Opposing quarterbacks know one thing heading into the 2023 season: Throwing in Sauce's direction isn't the wisest decision.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

48 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Man I realize Sauce played very well but not that well!!!!! 

And I was one of the JN members advocating for one of the OT’s 

Thank you JD Thank you 

I hope McDonald is a helluva player. I wanted Christian Gonzales this year. Can you imagine that duo?