8 players the NY Jets gave up on way too soon

Bronx

Davis is a weird one for this list, as the story they tell is pretty far off from the reality.  Davis didn't finally have a breakout season until his 6th year in the league, and that was actually with the Jets.  Granted, I could very easily see the argument that they should've been the the ones to give him a new deal after that season, but it was by no measure "giving up" when trading to get him back nor is 6 years "too soon".  He was a disappointment throughout his entire rookie contract, then did nothing in Cleveland for them to even let him see the second year of his deal, but then the Jets still saw enough in him to bring him back for another chance and were proven right.

Considering the ridiculous amount of money spent on LB since then all for worse players, letting him walk was certainly not the right move, but it isn't exactly giving up either when he had his breakout season and then got his first real payday as an established starter.

In truth though, most of those names listed also had their breakouts while with the Jets, even if they didn't stay.  For as much as some like to pretend otherwise, very rarely do we ever see failed Jets players go on to have success elsewhere.

Davis is a weird one for this list, as the story they tell is pretty far off from the reality.  Davis didn't finally have a breakout season until his 6th year in the league, and that was actually with the Jets.  Granted, I could very easily see the argument that they should've been the the ones to give him a new deal after that season, but it was by no measure "giving up" when trading to get him back nor is 6 years "too soon".  He was a disappointment throughout his entire rookie contract, then did nothing in Cleveland for them to even let him see the second year of his deal, but then the Jets still saw enough in him to bring him back for another chance and were proven right.
Considering the ridiculous amount of money spent on LB since then all for worse players, letting him walk was certainly not the right move, but it isn't exactly giving up either when he had his breakout season and then got his first real payday as an established starter.
In truth though, most of those names listed also had their breakouts while with the Jets, even if they didn't stay.  For as much as some like to pretend otherwise, very rarely do we ever see failed Jets players go on to have success elsewhere.
Davis last year with the Jets he dominated. Sad the team let him go to Cleveland. I remember one game against that Pats that year where it seemed like he made every tackle.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

Just so you don't have to read it, all the players mentioned for one reason or another we're not worth keeping and we def did not give up too soon. Maybe revis and k Johnson they mentioned, you could argue would have played well for us but then you completely disregard the money, compensation, circumstances etc. Anyway terrible take.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ooh let me try!  Just gonna go back thru the last 20 years or so:

Dewayne Robertson, Chad Pennington, Anthony Becht, David Barrett, Jon McGraw, B.J. Askew, Justin McCareins, Chris Baker, Adrian Jones, Derrick Strait, Eric Smith, Vernon Gholston, David Clowney, Mark Sanchez, Dustin Keller, John Conner, Jason Taylor, Santonio Holmes, Kyle Wilson, Wayne Hunter, Aaron Maybin, Clyde Gates, Patrick Turner, Stephen Hill, Matt Simms, David Nelson, Ryan Quigley, Jeff Cumberland, Kenrick Ellis, Darrin Walls, Calvin Pryor, Dexter McDougle, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brandon Marshall, Devin Smith, Rontez Miles, Buster Skrine, Dee Milliner, Wesley Johnson, Lorenzo Mauldin, Matt Forte, Quincy Enunwa, Lac Edwards, Darron Lee, Josh McCown, Eric Tomlinson, Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Josh Martin, Trumaine Johnson, Sam Darnold, Nathan Shepherd, Le’Veon Bell, Jamison Crowder, Trevon Wesco, Ryan Griffin, Chris Herndon, Braxton Berrios, Kyle Phillips, Vyncint Smith, Blake Cashman, Joe Flacco, Ty Johnson, Denzel Mims, La’Mical Perine, Braden Mann, Alex Lewis, Greg Van Roten, James Morgan, Bryce Hall, Michael Carter, Corey Davis, Kenny Yeboah, CJ Mosley, Zach Wilson, Ashtyn Davis.

76!  Not far off!

A few of you may need to read thru the list carefully to understand why you’re tagged below:

@jgb

@Bleedin Green

@CTM

@ZachEY

@pointman

@Sperm Edwards

@CrazyCarl40

@Warfish

@dbatesman

@BornJetsFan1983

@T0mShane

@Pac

@bitonti

@JiF

@The Crusher

@slats

@Dunnie

@Hal N of Provo

@johnnysd
@FidelioJet

@Paradis

@jetsrule128

@DWC 

Screenshot_20230626_050352_Google.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

James Farrior is another name that I would have liked to keep.  Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis were getting older at the time and we kept the vets while Farrior went to Steelers and played well.

i always liked farrior.        he left for more $ and he wanted to win a super bowl.          he knew the jets were NOT  going to win a SB anytime soon.     he helped the steelers win a SB  🤨

• Upvote 1

My boy Santana....I remember being so bummed about that trade.

Also I think when mentioning Abraham you have to mention Mangold, which is essentially what we got back for him.  As great as Johnny Abe was for us and after for Atlanta, you could still argue it was more than worth it to pull the trigger.  A starting C who played 11 seasons for the team, making 7 PBs and being named to the AP team 3 times.  One of the rare "everyone is happy with this" trades.  

But yeah, some of the names on the list are ridiculous.  Offseason content, I guess. 

11 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Tony Martin, Terrance Mathis, Raheem Mostert, Atari Bigby, Stevon Moore, Jeff Blake, John Riggins, Jonathan Goodwin, 

Honorable Mention:  Will Montgomery, John Abraham, Khalif Raymond, Jason Pinnock.

How about Hugh Douglas?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ooh let me try!  Just gonna go back thru the last 20 years or so:

Chad Pennington, Dewayne Robertson, Doug Brien, Derek Pagel, Anthony Becht, David Barrett, Jon McGraw, B.J. Askew, Justin McCareins, Chris Baker, Adrian Jones, Derrick Strait, Ben Graham, Eric Smith, Vernon Gholston, Jay Feely, David Clowney, Mark Sanchez, Dustin Keller, John Conner, Jason Taylor, Santonio Holmes, Kyle Wilson, Wayne Hunter, Aaron Maybin, Clyde Gates, Patrick Turner, Stephen Hill, Matt Simms, David Nelson, Ryan Quigley, Jeff Cumberland, Kenrick Ellis, Darrin Walls, Calvin Pryor, Dexter McDougle, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brandon Marshall, Devin Smith, Rontez Miles, Buster Skrine, Dee Milliner, Wesley Johnson, Lorenzo Mauldin, Matt Forte, Quincy Enunwa, Lac Edwards, Darron Lee, Josh McCown, Eric Tomlinson, Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Josh Martin, Trumaine Johnson, Sam Darnold, Nathan Shepherd, Le’Veon Bell, Jamison Crowder, Trevon Wesco, Ryan Griffin, Chris Herndon, Braxton Berrios, Kyle Phillips, Vyncint Smith, Blake Cashman, Joe Flacco, Ty Johnson, Denzel Mims, La’Mical Perine, Braden Mann, Alex Lewis, Greg Van Roten, James Morgan, Bryce Hall, Michael Carter, Corey Davis, Kenny Yeboah, CJ Mosley, Zach Wilson, Ashtyn Davis.

80!  Not far off!

A few of you may need to read thru the list carefully to understand why you’re tagged below:

@jgb

@Bleedin Green

@CTM

@ZachEY

@pointman

@Sperm Edwards

@CrazyCarl40

@Warfish

@dbatesman

@BornJetsFan1983

@T0mShane

@Pac

@bitonti

@JiF

@The Crusher

@slats

@Dunnie

@Hal N of Provo

@johnnysd
@FidelioJet

@Paradis

@jetsrule128

@DWC 

No need to hate on Lac like that.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

My boy Santana....I remember being so bummed about that trade.

Also I think when mentioning Abraham you have to mention Mangold, which is essentially what we got back for him.  As great as Johnny Abe was for us and after for Atlanta, you could still argue it was more than worth it to pull the trigger.  A starting C who played 11 seasons for the team, making 7 PBs and being named to the AP team 3 times.  One of the rare "everyone is happy with this" trades.  

But yeah, some of the names on the list are ridiculous.  Offseason content, I guess. 

Vs. Abraham + Jonathan Goodwin ? 

I'd rather play the HOF EDGE than center.  Mangold played 11 seasons.  He was a great Jet and I don't begrudge him anything, but he wasn't on his rookie deal forever.  Once he was off it they were paying big money for a center.  When people complain about the talent level dropping off after 2010, a big part of it was having to deal with the contracts of Mangold, Ferguson and Revis.  You can't just draft well.  You have to continually draft well and you have to choose right on the guys you pay.  I'm not going crazy to complain about the spend on Mangold, but having the highest paid center is not something that is great for team building. 

48 minutes ago, jtomm said:

i always liked farrior.        he left for more $ and he wanted to win a super bowl.          he knew the jets were NOT  going to win a SB anytime soon.     he helped the steelers win a SB  🤨

I’m not so sure about the Super Bowl aspect. He was on late 90’s teams and they were pretty strong. Maybe he didn’t like playing for Al Groh.

11 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Tony Martin, Terrance Mathis, Raheem Mostert, Atari Bigby, Stevon Moore, Jeff Blake, John Riggins, Jonathan Goodwin, 

Honorable Mention:  Will Montgomery, John Abraham, Khalif Raymond, Jason Pinnock.

Terrance Mathis absolutely blew up in Atlanta

21 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I’m not so sure about the Super Bowl aspect. He was on late 90’s teams and they were pretty strong. Maybe he didn’t like playing for Al Groh.

i'm not sure anyone likes playing for al groh   :badmood:

9 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Interesting read.  Demario Davis will always bother me, especially considering we let him go TWICE.

Seems like a big reach to say that Leonard Williams has been a “star” with the Giants.

An enormous reach.  I had a feeling Gettleman got duped when he traded for Leo on an expiring deal and then handed him $21M per.

His last 2 seasons (29 games) with the Giants combined:  9 Sacks, 10 TFLs, 26 QB Hits, 16 QB Knockdowns, 0 Pro Bowls/All-Pro selections.

Those are good but not elite numbers. 

Juxtapose those with Quinnen's last 2 seasons (31 games):  18 Sacks, 19 TFLs, 40 QB Hits, 21 QB Knockdowns, 1 Pro Bowl, 1 All-Pro (1st-Team) selection.

We may not have gotten tons of draft capital back for Leo but by not paying him and instead ending up with an elite Quinnen in his spot....we won that trade.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Vs. Abraham + Jonathan Goodwin ? 

I'd rather play the HOF EDGE than center.  Mangold played 11 seasons.  He was a great Jet and I don't begrudge him anything, but he wasn't on his rookie deal forever.  Once he was off it they were paying big money for a center.  When people complain about the talent level dropping off after 2010, a big part of it was having to deal with the contracts of Mangold, Ferguson and Revis.  You can't just draft well.  You have to continually draft well and you have to choose right on the guys you pay.  I'm not going crazy to complain about the spend on Mangold, but having the highest paid center is not something that is great for team building. 

You're right, you have to choose the right guys to keep and continue to draft well.  We chose the right guys to build around but we drafted horribly.  Look at our 1st rounders from '08-16.  That was probably the worst stretch of drafting in my lifetime.  Gholston, Keller, Sanchez, Kyle Wilson, Wilkerson, Coples, Milliner, Richardson, Pryor, Leonard Williams, Darron Lee.  The only guy we really hit on was Wilkerson, and even then he was one of those "gotta make sure you choose the right guys to pay", as he clearly wasn't.  Guys like Sanchez, Keller, and Williams had their moments but all ultimately disappointed.  

Not crazy to see why we were a SB contender with the core of Brick and Mangold while we were drafting well, and once we stopped everything started going downhill.  Are we a SB team with Johnny Abe on those '09 and '10 teams with an average FA center?  Maybe.  Probably not though.  Our offense was what ultimately held us back from getting over that hump.  As nasty as Abraham was(especially in 2010), I don't see how he would have changed anything for us.  So yeah, in hindsight, I'm completely happy with that trade.  We lost a great player but got another.  Arguably one of the greatest Jets of all time.  

• Upvote 2

John Riggins basically quit football. That's how badly the Jets handled him.

Hugh Douglas is #1 for me. As much as Parcells should get credit for turning the Jets around, some of his decisions would ultimately cost the team a chance at a title. None worse that going into 1999 without a legitimate backup QB was first and foremost. But trading Douglas is right up there.

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Terrance Mathis absolutely blew up in Atlanta

Tony Martin hurt me more.  What kind of idiots draft a small school QB in the 5th to move him to WR, don't give him a chance to develop and then cut him loose to go to a division rival?  The Jets kind of idiots.  The guy is top 100 all-time.  Four 1,000 yard seasons.  Eight seasons over 500 yards.  Led the league in receiving TDs in '96 (14).  Meanwhile the Jets were excited to pick up Chris Burkett and burned a 2nd on Reggie Rembert (who was crazy and traded for Joe Kelly without playing a game) and a supplemental first on Rob Moore (the pick that cost us Brett Favre).  

• Upvote 1