Jets are bracing for an involuntary Hard Knocks assignment

The NFL apparently will not be listening to the preferences of the HC of the NYJ .

Per a league source, the Jets are bracing for the preseason Hard Knocks assignment, despite making known publicly (and privately) their lack of interest in serving as the focal point of this year’s show.

The Jets, Saints, Bears, and Commanders fit the criteria for being required to do the show in the 2023 preseason. Under a formula developed several years ago, the teams that can be compelled to do it include those without a new head coach, those who have not been to the playoffs in either of the last two years, and those that have not been the subject of the show for the last ten years.

The Jets, Saints, and Bears have made it clear that they don’t want to do it this year. The Commanders, we’re told, would do it, if assigned . (We’re also told the league prefers to wait until after the sale of the team is finalized, and that the Commanders could be this year’s in-season option.)

The league had commenced talking to some of the other 28 teams, hopeful to find a volunteer. The Lions were approached about a second straight appearance. They declined.

The Jets technically can’t decline, although the NFL typically does not make a team submit to Hard Knocks when it doesn’t want to.

Most fans would prefer the Jets. With high expectations, the presence of quarterback Aaron Rodgers, and the memories of a successful run in 2010 (when coach Rex Ryan had the Jets eating goddamn snacks), the Jets are definitely the most interesting of the four teams that can be required to do it — and more interesting than most if not all of the other 28 teams.

If the Jets get the short straw, it could actually make for a more compelling presentation, with a possible attitude emanating from the coaching staff and the rest of the team that they don’t want the cameras and microphones there. Now that would be a reality show.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jets-are-bracing-for-an-involuntary-hard-knocks-assignment

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

The Jets are already playing 6 prime time games including the ridiculous Black Friday   game. The Jets played one of the inaugural Thanksgiving night games back in 2009-2010. They were already on Hard Knocks.  It's time Woody played his "good soldier" hand and put an end to the Jets being the NFL's guinea pigs.  Force someone else to do it.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I wouldn't.

No distractions.  Hard Knocks BS is a distraction.

Are we going to be forced to do the NFL Gambling Special TV Extravaganza & Player Public Punishment Festival this year too?

F' the NFL and their money-whore ways.

I think he meant most NFL Hard Knocks fans and not specifically Jets fans.    

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Any way to go back to the “light” theme of the website?

Hard to read some of these posts in dark mode.

(Don’t know how mine got switched of if it switched for everybody.)

Top right on the screen, by your login/screen name, there is a little toggle called the "Customizer".

Click it to open, top option is Dark vs. Light theme for the forum.

Or even simpler, same place you should see a moon or lightbulb as the right-most icon. 

Moon changed to Dark Mode.  Lightbulb Changes to Light Mode.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I think the opportunity for ratings is just too much with the personality of Rodgers here.

I'm just tired of the NFL crapping on the Jets.  Woody has to tell them NFW.  Screw the ratings and the rest. The Jets are trying to win games and have some success and that is more important to the players, the fans, and management than some stupid TV show.  The NFL will get their ratings if the Jets are good on those 6 prime time games.  Let the Jets minimize distractions in the preseason.  Force Chicago or Washington or some other team to do it and deal with the potential of a less interesting show.  

6 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I'm just tired of the NFL crapping on the Jets.  Woody has to tell them NFW.  Screw the ratings and the rest. The Jets are trying to win games and have some success and that is more important to the players, the fans, and management than some stupid TV show.  The NFL will get their ratings if the Jets are good on those 6 prime time games.  Let the Jets minimize distractions in the preseason.  Force Chicago or Washington or some other team to do it and deal with the potential of a less interesting show.  

Pretty sure every team could make the "trying to win games" argument. The last time the Jets were on hard knocks they went to the AFCCG, so it didn't seem to hurt.

I get they don't want the cameras but it sounds like the rules prevent them from declining. 🤷‍♂️

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I wouldn't.

No distractions.  Hard Knocks BS is a distraction.

Are we going to be forced to do the NFL Gambling Special TV Extravaganza & Player Public Punishment Festival this year too?

F' the NFL and their money-whore ways.

I think mean nationally not Jets fans 

One thing I don’t think they were too distracted in 2010.  Thy won 11 games and went to the AFCCG.

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, slats said:

What does this even mean? 

If the Jets don’t want it, they should tell the league to **** off. We’re not letting your cameras in the building, bite me. 

"and if you dare to attempt force entry, we will break you like a pretzel."

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Don’t see what all the fuss is about over doing hard knocks. There’s extra cameras around who cares. Just go about your business as usual. Don’t understand how it’s a distraction.

Try selling that to our Court system where cameras are never allowed.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I think mean nationally not Jets fans 

One thing I don’t think they were too distracted in 2010.  Thy won 11 games and went to the AFCCG.

When people here say "we fans", I almost always take that as "Jets Fans".

If people say "fans" without the "we", then sure, I could see that.

FWIW

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Pretty sure every team could make the "trying to win games" argument. The last time the Jets were on hard knocks they went to the AFCCG, so it didn't seem to hurt.

I get they don't want the cameras but it sounds like the rules prevent them from declining. 🤷‍♂️

Doesn't prevent them from saying "we've done it before, the DC Team hasn't.  Pick them, we're not doing it, and if you pick us, we will not cooperate whatsoever".  Hard line, but this is all behind the scenes stuff, where you can bluster a bit.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Doesn't prevent them from saying "we've done it before, the DC Team hasn't.  Pick them, we're not doing it, and if you pick us, we will not cooperate whatsoever".  Hard line, but this is all behind the scenes stuff, where you can bluster a bit.

they may have already tried that. according to the article they've already expressed publicly and privately they don't want to do it.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That's anecdotal.  Look at the bigger picture.  No team on Hard Knocks has ever played in the Super Bowl and only 5 of 18 teams have made the playoffs. The Jets brought Rodgers in to play in the Super Bowl or - at a bare minimum - make the playoffs. The odds of either happening in a Hard Knocks season are terrible.  Woody needs to tell Goodell it isn't happening. The Jets are doing their part to help the NFL brand this season with 6 prime time games including  the inaugural Black Friday game.  The Jets have done their part in years past as well, including Hard Knocks. It is some other team's turn, plain and simple.  

46 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Anything that stinks for the team, by definition, is NOT good for us fans.

Unless your primarily interest is tabloid TV melodrama BS, and not winning, of course.

I wanna see Michael Clemons face when someone hands him a shake weight! 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Any way to go back to the “light” theme of the website?

Hard to read some of these posts in dark mode.

(Don’t know how mine got switched of if it switched for everybody.)

Stay in Dark Mode.  It worked for Rodgers.

• Haha 2

You guys are a bunch of drama queens with this and the new uniforms. The vast majority of the cameras are passive and the Jets approve all released footage. We went to the AFCCG the year we did it and personally I enjoyed the crap out of it. The Jets this year SHOULD be the Hard Knocks team. Saleh just needs to deal with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

48 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Jets are already playing 6 prime time games including the ridiculous Black Friday   game. The Jets played one of the inaugural Thanksgiving night games back in 2009-2010. They were already on Hard Knocks.  It's time Woody played his "good soldier" hand and put an end to the Jets being the NFL's guinea pigs.  Force someone else to do it.  

If I was Woody, I would say, "I would love to do it Roger. However only if we get the Tom Brady treatment. No more phantom BS calls against us. And we get a call or two like the Chiefs got in the Super Bowl. Oh by the way, Aaron can't be touched...no grabbing, no diving at his legs and especially no tea-bagging. Agree to my terms and by all means bring your cameras to Florham Park. If you are unable to agree, then send them to the home of Daniel Snyder for all I care. Plus you can forget that lifetime supply of Neutrogena and Toy Story Band-Aids."

14 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That's anecdotal.  Look at the bigger picture.  No team on Hard Knocks has ever played in the Super Bowl and only 5 of 18 teams have made the playoffs. The Jets brought Rodgers in to play in the Super Bowl or - at a bare minimum - make the playoffs. The odds of either happening in a Hard Knocks season are terrible.  Woody needs to tell Goodell it isn't happening. The Jets are doing their part to help the NFL brand this season with 6 prime time games including  the inaugural Black Friday game.  The Jets have done their part in years past as well, including Hard Knocks. It is some other team's turn, plain and simple.  

3030529-inline-prjk5ql.png

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You guys are a bunch of drama queens with this and the new uniforms. The vast majority of the cameras are passive and the Jets approve all released footage. We went to the AFCCG the year we did it and personally I enjoyed the crap out of it. The Jets this year SHOULD be the Hard Knocks team. Saleh just needs to deal with it.

We will get plenty of angles of Saleh running the bleachers 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

No team on Hard Knocks has ever played in the Super Bowl and only 5 of 18 teams have made the playoffs.

Confirmation bias. For example, last year, the Lions were predicted to be a bottom 5 team when they were on Hard Knocks. So for context, how many of the other 17 were actually predicted to make the playoffs in the year they were on Hard Knocks? If it was a vast majority, then there might actually be something to the "distraction" angle. Otherwise, it's a moot point.