Jump to content

Barnwell: Jets have the 22nd ranked skill position group


Recommended Posts

Sorry Mods, but felt the need to post this. It is an ESPN insider article so I can’t copy and paste. 

Barnwell is just not impressed with the Jets. He had them as the 24th best skill group last year and didn’t think they improved much. 
 

I don’t claim to be as smart as Barnwell. The guy gets paid to write this stuff for a reason. However, I’d argue the Jets skill position talent will take a big jump this year simply from not having the worst QB in the NFL. 
 

Keep in mind Barnwell is usually right about this stuff. He was the first one to give up on Sam Darnold. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean our best WR is a second year player, then lazard and Davis are 700-800 ceiling kind of guys.  hardman is a gadget / package WR that never really broke out with the best QB in football throwing to him. Our best RB, hall, is coming off a serious leg injury and only proved he is capable of having a big game. Our RB2 carter, looked awful last year. Then you have a rookie RB that hasn’t played a down. TE group is also at best, middle of the pack as far as what previous production shows. There is potential and high ceilings for sure but that’s all it is at this point. Can’t be good on paper, have to prove it on the field. 

  • Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That just seems to be hating for the sake of it. Jets have better skill positions than:

Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Browns, Texans, Jaguars, Titans, Colts, Broncos, Giants, Commies, Packers, Bears, Lions, probably the Vikings, Falcons, Panthers, Cardinals.

what the hell was this stooges list lol. Some above I guess are arguable but cmon

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who cares?

For us to pretty much stay the same from his 2022 prediction, a lot of other teams must have somehow acquired a young & electric #1 WR the likes of Garrett Wilson AND a stud playmaking RB the likes of Breece Hall.  I’ll discount the latter a bit since there are question marks about when he will be fully healthy.

Both guys were leaders for OROY and surpassed any reasonable expectations for their rookie years (Hall injury aside).

Guys like this don’t grow on trees nor do QBs like Aaron Rodgers who make all skill players better, immediately reversing the lousy QB driven down arrows on guys like Tyler Conklin, Corey Davis & CJ Uzomah.

Or is it possible such predictions are a crapshoot and this guy isn’t very good at predicting?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

People love to excuse garbage QB performance because of "lack o' dem weaponzzz" but actually, it's crappy bullets that hold skill players back. While true we didn't have any major additions, a non-trash QB is a tide that lifts all boats.

Pray for Rodgers' health. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would probably need to take a closer look at other teams for direct comparison, but the truth is outside of GW it's definitely a very average group of players, so I'd think overall they're middle of the pack.

The key difference is those who are returning Jets should see a significant upgrade in their QB play.  GW I'm sure will only further improve, Davis' season will probably be more dependent on health than anything, and even Conklin has a real chance at a career year for himself, even if not upper tier.

On the other hand, Lazard is likely to be exactly what he's always been and Hardman has hardly been lacking in the QB talent department himself, so right now there's not much reason to think they'll be much different than what they've already shown, but we'll see.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MichaelBolton said:

Sorry Mods, but felt the need to post this. It is an ESPN insider article so I can’t copy and paste. 

Barnwell is just not impressed with the Jets. He had them as the 24th best skill group last year and didn’t think they improved much. 
 

I don’t claim to be as smart as Barnwell. The guy gets paid to write this stuff for a reason. However, I’d argue the Jets skill position talent will take a big jump this year simply from not having the worst QB in the NFL. 
 

Keep in mind Barnwell is usually right about this stuff. He was the first one to give up on Sam Darnold. 

As bad as Sam was, he was way ahead of Wilson at the same stage. We would’ve been better off with Sam plus the second overall pick, which would’ve been Ja’Marr Chase or Penei Sewell based on needs. 
 

Regardless, Sam wasn’t lighting anything on fire just like Geno Smith wasn’t back in the days. Different story now with legit offense around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

As bad as Sam was, he was way ahead of Wilson at the same stage. We would’ve been better off with Sam plus the second overall pick, which would’ve been Ja’Marr Chase or Penei Sewell based on needs. 
 

Regardless, Sam wasn’t lighting anything on fire just like Geno Smith wasn’t back in the days. Different story now with legit offense around. 

Don’t think the idea of going back to draft a QB was to get one who sucks as bad or worse than Darnold.  The idea was to hopefully better than Darnold.  The idea wasn’t wrong.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, extmenace said:

I mean our best WR is a second year player, then lazard and Davis are 700-800 ceiling kind of guys.  hardman is a gadget / package WR that never really broke out with the best QB in football throwing to him. Our best RB, hall, is coming off a serious leg injury and only proved he is capable of having a big game. Our RB2 carter, looked awful last year. Then you have a rookie RB that hasn’t played a down. TE group is also at best, middle of the pack as far as what previous production shows. There is potential and high ceilings for sure but that’s all it is at this point. Can’t be good on paper, have to prove it on the field. 

So I suppose QB1 doesn't count as a skill position? 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry Mods, but felt the need to post this. It is an ESPN insider article so I can’t copy and paste. 
Barnwell is just not impressed with the Jets. He had them as the 24th best skill group last year and didn’t think they improved much. 
 
I don’t claim to be as smart as Barnwell. The guy gets paid to write this stuff for a reason. However, I’d argue the Jets skill position talent will take a big jump this year simply from not having the worst QB in the NFL. 
 
Keep in mind Barnwell is usually right about this stuff. He was the first one to give up on Sam Darnold. 
No.....I was the first one to give up on Sammy pants.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Based on last year's production, it's a fair ranking.  The hope is that a big jump in quarterback play will elevate everyone else on offense.

The Jets replaced Moore with Lazard and Berrios with Hardman.  The TE group is essentially the same with the addition of a 7th round red shirt rookie.  The RB group is essentially the same with the addition of a 5th round rookie and their star player coming off a torn ACL.

I wouldn't say the Jets improved their skill positions much.  Perhaps marginally, but they are definitely operating under the premise that quarterback play was the main thing holding them back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

So I suppose QB1 doesn't count as a skill position? 

Exactly. The most important of all skill positions, who distributes the ball to the other skill positions and audibles at the line to prevent the team from being at a disadvantage. We have gone from last to arguably a top 10 Qb. That has to elevate some very talented skill players.

In the end, it will all come down to the performance of the OL and a very questionable coaching staff.

#SayNoToHardKnocks”!
 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

That just seems to be hating for the sake of it. Jets have better skill positions than:

Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Browns, Texans, Jaguars, Titans, Colts, Broncos, Giants, Commies, Packers, Bears, Lions, probably the Vikings, Falcons, Panthers, Cardinals.

what the hell was this stooges list lol. Some above I guess are arguable but cmon

Yeah, not having the article to see who he has above/below and what he's basing the criteria off makes this a little challenging but it seems bogus.   Moving up 2 spots seems harsh too, IMO, Lazard and Hardman are significant upgrades.  How many teams have a true blue stud WR 1 w/ 3 guys who can all give you 60-70, 800 yards and 5 TD's?  Cobb as a #5 and then  2 very solid veteran TE, 2 youngsters w/ upside.  I dont think there are as many teams as the Jets w/ depth on offense. 

The only team that comes to mind off the rip is the Jags - Kirk, Jones, Engram w/Entienne, is that really that much better then the Jets or did they just have awesome coaching and QB play?  They added Ridley so that tips the scale but still  I'd take the 49ers skills players over the Jets but I dont even think they go as deep at WR.  The Vikings have Jefferson and then what?  Jags galore.  They just cut Cook.

Off the rip, the team who I would take over the Jets w/ out much debate;  Eagles, 49ers, Dolphins, Bengals, Seahawks, Jags.

And then these teams are all about equal, you're pulling hairs to tell me there is a difference: Chargers, Saints, Bucs, Denver, maybe the Colts, maybe Buffalo? 

I mean, that's top 10 range right there. so very interesting to see the details of this hit piece. 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...