Barnwell: Jets have the 22nd ranked skill position group

16 hours ago, Claymation said:

He played 19 games the past 2 seasons. You can try tell me why that happened but he still missed 15 games in '21 &'22 combined. You can't help the team when you are standing on the sideline.

I just did.  He was suspended 6 games last year.  But please keep pretending Hopkins is as injury prone as OBJ

22 hours ago, Claymation said:

Breece Hall was averaging nearly 6.0 yards per carry to start his career when he tore an ACL in October. There are questions about whether he will be ready for the start of training camp.

Who had questions?  

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I just did.  He was suspended 6 games last year.  But please keep pretending Hopkins is as injury prone as OBJ

Why not, you guys are pretending he’s a top 10 WR when on the field.  He wasn’t a year ago.  People are questioning his age.  His ability to get separation.  His lack of speed.  
So, he got suspended for PEDs, came back as an average WR.  Let’s throw money at him.  Or bring OBJ into this, as if it’s relevant 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why not, you guys are pretending he’s a top 10 WR when on the field.  He wasn’t a year ago.  People are questioning his age.  His ability to get separation.  His lack of speed.  
So, he got suspended for PEDs, came back as an average WR.  Let’s throw money at him.  Or bring OBJ into this, as if it’s relevant 

Well. . .  he was 10th in yards per game last year  Not a perfect stat because Kingsbury throws so much, but much of that time it wasn't even coming from Murray - it was Colt McCoy and even Trace McSorley. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

If he is merely a game manager this season then the FO made another major QB mistake.

He’s never had a 5k passing season. Hasn’t thrown for over 300 yards since like week 10 of the 2021 season. What are you honestly expecting? Rodgers is at his best when he’s in a balanced offense. This team is going to want to set up the pass with the run. When I say game manager, I don’t mean Trent dilfer-like. I mean that he’ll be a functioning piece in the offense. He’s the driver, not the car. He won’t be the entire offense. Obviously an opinion but I’m thinking the jets will be very happy and executing their plan if they are winning ball games with a 55% run to 45% pass ratio.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well. . .  he was 10th in yards per game last year  Not a perfect stat because Kingsbury throws so much, but much of that time it wasn't even coming from Murray - it was Colt McCoy and even Trace McSorley. 

True, but those yards per game were at only11 yards a pop.  And only 3 TDs

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Hopkins doesn’t need to be top 10.  He just has to be way better than Lazard and David which he absolutely is.  Hopkins had more receiving yards than Davis last season and almost as many yards as Lazard despite missing 6 games with a suspension.

If that’s “average” according to you then Davis and Lazard must really suck

35 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Hopkins doesn’t need to be top 10.  He just has to be way better than Lazard and David which he absolutely is.  Hopkins had more receiving yards than Davis last season and almost as many yards as Lazard despite missing 6 games with a suspension.

If that’s “average” according to you then Davis and Lazard must really suck

Hopkins was good last year on a per game basis especially considering the lousy QB situation in Arizona. I don’t see JD paying the required price but he’s got some good football ahead of him.

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2023 at 9:49 AM, jgb said:

Hopkins was good last year on a per game basis especially considering the lousy QB situation in Arizona. I don’t see JD paying the required price but he’s got some good football ahead of him.

Hopkins was putting up good numbers with POS Colt McCoy throwing to him

• Upvote 2

On 6/26/2023 at 10:15 PM, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I mean hard to disagree with the man.

after GW the wrs are average at best. And Breece is coming off a major injury. This is why many of us wanted to sign DHop and or cook.

Saying “after Garrett Wilson the Jets are average at best” is like saying after D Adams the Raiders WRs are average at best.   Or after Mahomes, the Chiefs qbs are average at best.   You dont subtract one of the best young players in the game when making these evaluations.  

On 6/26/2023 at 7:00 PM, MichaelBolton said:

Sorry Mods, but felt the need to post this. It is an ESPN insider article so I can’t copy and paste. 

Barnwell is just not impressed with the Jets. He had them as the 24th best skill group last year and didn’t think they improved much. 

I don’t claim to be as smart as Barnwell. The guy gets paid to write this stuff for a reason. However, I’d argue the Jets skill position talent will take a big jump this year simply from not having the worst QB in the NFL. 

Keep in mind Barnwell is usually right about this stuff. He was the first one to give up on Sam Darnold. 

He may be right, but I would at least like to focus on the other side of the coin.  You have quantity of skill players, and you have quality.  Wilson might turn out to be a top 5 wide receiver this year; Breece Hall might turn out to be a top 5 running back this year, and Sauce might might continue to turn out to be a top 5 cornerback this year.  Rodgers might still be a top 5 quarterback this year, we will see.  There may not be the quantity of many other teams, but the quality of the players I just mentioned cannot be denied.  

In the end, it just comes down to wins and losses anyway.  New England didn't win 6 Superbowls by having the best skill players on the team, just Tom Brady and a few select others.  I remember a couple years where the Patriots had a bunch of no-name wide receivers, and no big names at running back.  But, they had Tom Brady and Gronk, and they were pretty damn good!