ESPN lays off on-air talent including Keyshawn, Jeff Van Gundy, others

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

And yet some of the guys remaining on the air, with big paychecks no less, are just mind-boggling.

The state of sports broadcasting has reached an all-time low IMO.

Related topic rant:  You have to pay extra on Sirius for NFL Network.  The other day, I had a 6-minute drive.  NFLN was on commercial when I started....they were still on commercial when I got home.  Unless Ross Tucker had to drop a surprise dookie that is unacceptable.  Classic Rock and Classic Rewind were also on commercials.  I had to listen to Yacht Rock channel or something like that.  

NFL radio is horrible. Sirius has almost as many of commercials as regular radio now. These hosts make too much money. 

• Upvote 4

One of the big media companies here in Canada (Bell) just axed a whole bunch of stations and programming including the only decent sports radio station in Edmonton.  No warning whatsoever to listeners or employees.  Of course they were crying poor about loses in those sectors while pulling down record profits everywhere else.  Same f'ckers that got paid millions for covid employee benefits.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, islesmb said:

Suzy Kolber too, maybe Joe Willie can cheer her up with a kiss.  Just kidding, I hate to see these people losing jobs.

I have a friend who went to HS with Suzy.  He knows her and her family pretty well.  Said she knew this was likely coming for months.  Her decision is whether she wants to simply retire (her family is very well off) or find something else that's enjoyable, maybe in digital media, etc. where she's not in the pressure environment that was ESPN management and the House of Mouse (Disney).

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Only thing worse than watching Steven A Smith on TV is watching Steven A Smith and Max Kellerman on TV together.

Max should have stuck with boxing, his show was more appealing then. Steven A. is a narcissistic bozo.

• Upvote 2

Not Suzy kolber too?  Honestly I can’t think of one espn program I watch because of the talking heads.  Van Grundy is a really good basketball analyst but even he can be replaced.

I don’t have a feel for this pat mcafee fellow. There’s something about a guy who wears a wife beater. It looks like Disney is looking to improve their streaming presence.

steve Young still employed? Could it be he’s a Norman just like Disney?

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

would have gotten rid of Steve smith and greenberg before him

I mean Stephen A and Greeny are the cornerstones they're building around. They're firing these people so they can pay Stephen A. $10 million per year and Greeny $6.5 million.

Todd McShay fired, which I wouldn't have seen coming.

Sad to see Suzy Kolber go.

At a certain point you need some actual anchors and reporters and not just loudmouth "personalities" don't you?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean Stephen A and Greeny are the cornerstones they're building around. They're firing these people so they can pay Stephen A. $10 million per year and Greeny $6.5 million.

Every time I hear Greeny on the radio he’s having a coughing fit 

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

At a certain point you need some actual anchors and reporters and not just loudmouth "personalities" don't you?

Sports news is going the way of cable news. It is entertainment rather than informative.  Greeny is a complete joke and Smith is a clown. Everything they say and do is for entertainment rather than informational.  If you want news, you have to search for it yourself online.  

• Upvote 3