Mosley ranked #9 off ball LB; Q #4 DT in 4th annual ESPN poll

4 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Other positions due out over next week or so.

Poll of NFL execs, coaches & players.

Off ball LB are the MIKES in a 3-4 and all LBs in a 4-3.  So excludes Edge Rushers.

Jets might not have had anyone on these lists last year.

To me, this is much more credible than Pro Bowl or other lists.  

Link?

The schedule: Off-ball linebackers (July 8), defensive tackles (July 9), edge rushers (July 10), cornerbacks (July 11), safeties (July 12), tight ends (July 13), running backs (July 14), offensive tackles (July 15), guards and centers (July 16), quarterbacks (July 17) and wide receivers (July 18).

——————————-

CBs:  I would guess Sauce makes the list :). Will be interesting if DJ Reed sneaks on (honorable mention?)

QBs:  Do the people in League circles agree with @FidelioJet that Rodgers has dropped off significantly?

Offensive Skill:  Do Garrett & Breece start out in the Honorable Mention category?

Guards:  Does last year’s injury keep AVT off the list?  I’m guessing yes (too small a sample)

Been saying this all offseason, Jets fans hate Mosley for some reason but the league feels very differently.  Q. Will is probably ranked appropriately.  Donald > Jones > Q. Will, Wilkins, Simmons.  All right about there. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

NFL GM’s and Jet-hating media would love nothing more than see the Jets overpaying CJ & QW.                                                         Hoping JD can find a fair deal with QW reps and a $5m+ refund from CJ.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

Been saying this all offseason, Jets fans hate Mosley for some reason but the league feels very differently.  Q. Will is probably ranked appropriately.  Donald > Jones > Q. Will, Wilkins, Simmons.  All right about there. 

Hate is a strong word.  I haven’t read that.  Paid grossly above fair market value or overrated would be more fair representations of the opinions I’ve read here.  In a few cases, there have been arguments he’s below average.  

But your forest thru the trees point about the league seeing it differently is spot on.  I’ve admittedly been one who feels he is a liability waiting to happen in coverage yet I posted this happily because he’s our team leader and I actually like him on the team (just not at a $17M salary).

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Been saying this all offseason, Jets fans hate Mosley for some reason but the league feels very differently. 

Hate is strong.  Hate the contract, yes, but I don't hate the player.

In a vacuum:  Mosley is a very good leader who is pedestrian at best in pass coverage but is very good at tackling RBs 6 yards from the LOS. 

He recorded just 5 TFLs, 1 INT, 1.0 Sacks, 3 QB Hits and 0 FFs in his 2nd team All-Pro season last year while allowing an opposing QB Rating of 94.2 and an OK 7.4 yards per target when targeted in pass coverage.  Though at least his Pass Deflections were up (7 last year vs 4 total over the prior 2 seasons).  

Football-reference.com gave him an AV score of 13 as opposed to 6 the prior year so clearly he did some things well.  I just fail to see him earning the ranking this thread is giving him as well as the 2nd Team All-Pro accolades unless he is being given points for being the "QB of the defense".  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In a vacuum:  Mosley is a very good leader who is pedestrian at best in pass coverage but is very good at tackling RBs 6 yards from the LOS. 

He recorded just 5 TFLs, 1 INT, 1.0 Sacks, 3 QB Hits and 0 FFs in his 2nd team All-Pro season last year while allowing an opposing QB Rating of 94.2 and an OK 7.4 yards per target when targeted in pass coverage.  Though at least his Pass Deflections were up (7 last year vs 4 total over the prior 2 seasons).  

Football-reference.com gave him an AV score of 13 as opposed to 6 the prior year so clearly he did some things well.  I just fail to see him earning the ranking this thread is giving him as well as the 2nd Team All-Pro accolades unless he is being given points for being the "QB of the defense".  

Most of the NFL : Mosely is a very good football player. 

80: leadership skillzzz lol

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Most of the NFL is wrong.

Ladies and gentlemen in the blue corner we have a panel of league executives, coaches, scouts, and players. 

in the red corner we have a guy that can look up stats on the google machine. 

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Hate is a strong word.  I haven’t read that.  Paid grossly above fair market value or overrated would be more fair representations of the opinions I’ve read here.  In a few cases, there have been arguments he’s below average.  

But your forest thru the trees point about the league seeing it differently is spot on.  I’ve admittedly been one who feels he is a liability waiting to happen in coverage yet I posted this happily because he’s our team leader and I actually like him on the team (just not at a $17M salary).

Should have said, Jets fans "love to hate on" CJ Mosley...

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Seems like a lot of hate, hater.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Larz said:

Ladies and gentlemen in the blue corner we have a panel of league executives, coaches, scouts, and players. 

in the red corner we have a guy that can look up stats on the google machine. 

League executives, coaches and players are as subjective as anyone else.  They consider Mosley a “good old boy” of sorts and are grading him based on his career accomplishments as much as anything else.

He’s a very good LB.  Just not elite.  Is that such a crime to state?  Do I need to sic @Sperm Edwards on you on this one?  Because I’d probably trust his take over a “majority league vote” any day of the week, and he agrees with me here.  

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Mosley is pretty good, but his contract really sucks. Many feel it would be better to get rid of him and his contract than keep him despite him being good.

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

League executives, coaches and players are as subjective as anyone else.  They consider Mosley a “good old boy” of sorts and are grading him based on his career accomplishments as much as anything else.

He’s a very good LB.  Just not elite.  Is that such a crime to state?  Do I need to sic @Sperm Edwards on you on this one?  Because I’d probably trust his take over a “majority league vote” any day of the week, and he agrees with me here.  

Nobody said he’s elite. Nobody said he’s a good old boy. Nobody is judging him in his career. old school is not good old boy. 

Sperm is wrong too. For the same reasons. 

you can just admit that you are biased   It happens 

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Nobody said he’s elite. Sperm is wrong too. For the same reasons. 

Apparently the All-Pro voters did when they said he’s the 6th or 7th best LB in the league (behind Fred Warner, Roquan Smith, Matt Milano, Micah Parsons and Matt Judon).  Yet you and I apparently agree he isn’t.  So what’s the issue?  lol.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Apparently the All-Pro voters did when they said he’s the 2nd best at his position.  Yet you and I apparently agree he isn’t.  So what’s the issue?  lol.  

"I don't think people realize how good he is since he's not flashy and a bit of a throwback," an AFC scout said. "But he can do it all. Just a really [good] football player."

No need to hide. You’re just wrong. 

1 minute ago, Larz said:

"I don't think people realize how good he is since he's not flashy and a bit of a throwback," an AFC scout said. "But he can do it all. Just a really [good] football player."

No need to hide. You’re just wrong. 

“Just a really good football player”.  That’s the best you’ve got when I’ve agreed with that very statement?  We’re arguing over nothing, lol. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

“Just a really good football player”.  That’s the best you’ve got when I’ve agreed with that very statement?  We’re arguing over nothing, lol. 

Thank you for conceding. This was getting tiring. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Don't forget the nozzle plays where he jumped and cost us plenty then he smiled his ass off like he just did something good. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Larz said:

Nobody said he’s elite. Nobody said he’s a good old boy. Nobody is judging him in his career. old school is not good old boy. 

Sperm is wrong too. For the same reasons. 

you can just admit that you are biased   It happens 

Terrible post. One of the worst this year.

• Haha 3