Pat Fitzgerald fired

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know much about this, but a quick check of wikipedia tells me this version isn't going to last long.  Sort of like when the wiki for the movie Seabiscuit said that it starred Sarah Jessica Parker.

Dennys lol.

image.png

• Haha 4

It's interesting because guys like James Franklin and Kirk Ferentz have survived similar types of scandals but Northwestern seemingly panicked and fired an overwhelmingly popular coach who has been the greatest winner in the history of the program. Involved with all but one of their bowl appearances and all but one of their 10 win seasons. 

NU is the type of snooty academic institution where alumni won't care -- my wife is an NU alum.

They'll go back to being a perennial bottom feeder in the B1G forever.

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's interesting because guys like James Franklin and Kirk Ferentz have survived similar types of scandals but Northwestern seemingly panicked and fired an overwhelmingly popular coach who has been the greatest winner in the history of the program. Involved with all but one of their bowl appearances and all but one of their 10 win seasons. 

NU is the type of snooty academic institution where alumni won't care -- my wife is an NU alum.

Did you read the report?  It was vile what was going on there, and how much he was likely aware of.  Not on a Sandusky level but certainly a couple notches below.  

It wasn't hazing, which is ill-advised but at least can be condoned in some instances if given a certain level of restraint and maybe even some friendliness behind it.  This was sexual assault and it isn't even a question.

After reading that I would want no part of hiring him in any capacity any time soon.  Urban Meyer vibes....but arguably worse.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did you read the report?  It was vile what was going on there, and how much he was likely aware of.  Not on a Sandusky level but certainly a couple notches below.  

It wasn't hazing, which is ill-advised but at least can be condoned in some instances if given a certain level of restraint and maybe even some friendliness behind it.  This was sexual assault and it isn't even a question.

After reading that I would want no part of hiring him in any capacity any time soon.  Urban Meyer vibes....but arguably worse.

What are you referring to? Because I've pretty much heard the opposite.

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah some level of mild hazing like making rookies carry the vets’ pads can actually enhance a team’s culture. But this NW report…

Oh My God Reaction GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

What are you referring to? Because I've pretty much heard the opposite.

Sportico has a few details (nudity and degrading forced sexual acts (dry humping victim)).

The article alluded to Fitzgerald making a clap to point out which player would be hazed.

Northwestern Fires Pat Fitzgerald Over Hazing Scandal But Will he Sue? – Sportico.com

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Thanks for posting this, I didn't see the report. Not sure what was happening there at all. 

Just now, PFSIKH said:

Sportico has a few details (nudity and degrading forced sexual acts (dry humping victim)).

The article alluded to Fitzgerald making a clap to point out which player would be hazed.

Northwestern Fires Pat Fitzgerald Over Hazing Scandal But Will he Sue? – Sportico.com

Interesting. I'd heard the "clap" piece specifically debunked on the Cover 3 Podcast from CBS -- essentially that it had nothing to do with hazing and that players had adopted that part of it on their own. I'd also heard the feedback from players (who unanimously signed a letter supporting PF) that the dry humping stuff was BS although some of the other stuff (naked bear run) was accurate and that the disgruntled player had a "vendetta" against PF.

It is what it is, not great stuff. The President's own statement indicated they had no evidence PF knew about anything and he's seemingly already retained counsel to sue them, so it's going to be a costly mess that will destroy the prorgam.  

Just now, jgb said:

The reputational fallout might have something to do with that 

Eh, not really. The Sandusky Scandal at Penn State is about as bad as it gets and they rebounded to a top 10 program.

NW is a small private school with little alumni interest in a conference full of massive state schools obsessed with football -- PF made them a real program that was playing in the Big Ten Title game three years ago. Regardless of the allegations I'm just saying that the absolute best years of NW football have come to an end and they're going to be back to being perennial bottom dwellers.

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Eh, not really. The Sandusky Scandal at Penn State is about as bad as it gets and they rebounded to a top 10 program.

NW is a small private school with little alumni interest in a conference full of massive state schools obsessed with football -- PF made them a real program that was playing in the Big Ten Title game three years ago. Regardless of the allegations I'm just saying that the absolute best years of NW football have come to an end and they're going to be back to being perennial bottom dwellers.

Forever is a long time

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

Sure. But any kind of football success is a huge outlier for them historically.

Candidly, I think Pat Fitzgerald gets another gig in fairly short order and without the academic constraints of NW ends up being really successful.

Maybe so. America loves a redemption story. Well unless you are Bill Cosby. He’s ****ed.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Bill Cosby or Jared from Subway. Certain lines can't be crossed.

New reality show idea “the irredeemables.” Like big brother with the biggest scumbags on earth.

Season 1: Jared, Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, OJ, Adam Gase 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Gary Barnett and Randy Walker both won Big Ten titles at NW before Fitzgerald. Barnett won two.  And they did it after building NW up from one of the two or three worst power 5 programs in the country.

Fitz was able to elevate the programs floor, but his highs weren’t as good as Barnett or Walker.  He was romanticized because he was a standout player and turned down opportunities to go elsewhere.  He was a good coach, but I think people oversell how dire NW was before he got there.  Gary Barnett is the person that elevated that program from the abyss, not Fitzgerald.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Gary Barnett and Randy Walker both won Big Ten titles at NW before Fitzgerald. Barnett won two.  And they did it after building NW up from one of the two or three worst power 5 programs in the country.

Fitz was able to elevate the programs floor, but his highs weren’t as good as Barnett or Walker.  He was romanticized because he was a standout player and turned down opportunities to go elsewhere.  He was a good coach, but I think people oversell how dire NW was before he got there.  Gary Barnett is the person that elevated that program from the abyss, not Fitzgerald.

Barnett has also been involved in plenty of scandals 

59 minutes ago, jgb said:

New reality show idea “the irredeemables.” Like big brother with the biggest scumbags on earth.

Season 1: Jared, Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, OJ, Adam Gase 

Gase on that list lol. Nice.

The national journalists who write about the Big 10 actually have sway there because of the administrations, especially at NW. Piling on football is seen as a good thing. The person from the school paper I’m sure didn’t like football. They also look down on the SEC (which is good and bad for the league) as their controversies the schools seem to move on from eg Arkansas basketball and George football (where people actually died). I guess it depends on how far you think the coaches responsibility goes and who’s covering it.

Movie Speech from A Few Good Men - Colonel Nathan R. Jessup ...

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.
  • Haha 3

Interesting. I'd heard the "clap" piece specifically debunked on the Cover 3 Podcast from CBS -- essentially that it had nothing to do with hazing and that players had adopted that part of it on their own. I'd also heard the feedback from players (who unanimously signed a letter supporting PF) that the dry humping stuff was BS although some of the other stuff (naked bear run) was accurate and that the disgruntled player had a "vendetta" against PF.

It is what it is, not great stuff. The President's own statement indicated they had no evidence PF knew about anything and he's seemingly already retained counsel to sue them, so it's going to be a costly mess that will destroy the prorgam.  

Multiple players reported suicidal ideation but sure otherwise NBD.

FFS.

• Upvote 1