Twitter Message: Nothing to see here - yet

I wanted to bump the originial Twitter thread that I started last year but I forgot it was locked for the political talk.  Just want to point out a real-world example of how limiting access to Tweets isn't an actual "good idea" that Musk had. But more something that he is doing out of necessity. Blocking guests and limiting views is a hosting issue.

He is in over his head and taking the company down with him. Cage fights, penis measuring contests, hey I am all for keeping things loose but this guy is driving a 44 billion dollar investment into the ground.

We are just one site of 8 billion that gets Twitter more exposure by embedding tweets. Now that is blocked. Bad move, amongst many bad moves.

No politics. We should be able to discuss Twitter and even the new Instagram option Threads, without people getting political. Rather than lock this, we will just ban people that don't comply. Thanks.

image.png.60f9a9d8e4cb762d571e34314b5591

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Maxman said:

We are just one site of 8 billion that gets Twitter more exposure by embedding tweets. Now that is blocked. 

I don't understand what you mean by this.  Where is embedding blocked. 

If I try to embed a tweet into this post...it works...

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I don't understand what you mean by this.  Where is embedding blocked. 

If I try to embed a tweet into this post...it works...

Sorry, embed was the wrong word. They are blocking API access which prevents us from pulling tweets in on the front page. Things like that.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It functionally works exactly the same if you have an account. 

I pay for Twitter Blue, so I don't have a problem with that. But they still put in rate limits (caps) and Musk told people to go outside. Seemed sooth like to me. Just not a good move.

13 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Sorry, embed was the wrong word. They are blocking API access which prevents us from pulling tweets in on the front page. Things like that.

Ahh....I see, I see.

I'm on threads now....it is ok, but until they provide PC/Mac access and allow you the option to only see posts from followers, it's going to be hard for them to maintain the momentum they currently have against Twitter.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Ahh....I see, I see.

I'm on threads now....it is ok, but until they provide PC/Mac access and allow you the option to only see posts from followers, it's going to be hard for them to maintain the momentum they currently have against Twitter.

Totally agree. Sounds like they rushed the release which was smart. Get the userbase and strike while the iron is hot.

Hate that Zuck gains from all this though.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Totally agree. Sounds like they rushed the release which was smart. Get the userbase and strike while the iron is hot.

Hate that Zuck gains from all this though.

Competition is good. And I got FB stock so hopefully it takes off. But threads becoming a circle j of journalists won’t work as they’ll need someone to dunk on. Twitter will be fine. And if there’s any indication, Jim Cramer is down on twitter so that means it’s only going to skyrocket 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I have had twitter for over a decade and its just as good today as it was then.  I mean, if u need to read over 800 tweets a day, it might be time to get some hobbies.

Twitter has always been stupid. It's been amusing to watch people melt down when their precious echo chamber got breached. The schadenfreude by these lifetime nobodies is also pretty enjoyable to observe. LOL if you think Elon Musk cares one iota what you think. Newsflash: it says way more about you than him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Maybe Instagram would be better off fixing their own crap instead of starting Threads. Totally ruined it, they're so desperate to copy Tik Tok, they want everyone to just post reels, and their latest move? Killing the search by hashtag. Used to originally be "Top posts" and "Recent posts". Now? "Top posts" and "Top recent posts." 

It's like going to Twitter and trying to see the what's happening with regards to a news story, and instead of getting the latest updates, you get a post from a week ago because it's by a top influencer.

They're all the same, Youtube, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Nothing but contempt for the people who use their stuff.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

....this guy is driving a 44 billion dollar investment into the ground.

Good. 

Meanwhile, while people cry about Twatter, dude has almost single handedly saved the US Space Program and by association,  the area I now call home. The Space Coast is BOOMING, development, jobs, and lots of $$$ because he said gfy to entrenched has-beens like Boeing, Thiocol, Raytheon and Pratt-Whitney that can't seem to get their Artemis crap out of the hanger. Just a few years ago, if the United States wanted to put people into Earth Orbit, we had to go hat in hand and the checkbook out to Putin to get a lift on a Soyuz... 

Oh, as an aside, I was recently in an L3Harris development building  (as well as Renesas) where they were assembling satellites.... to be taken up to orbit on SpaceX Falcon 9s. 

Elon and SpaceX (who all the old timer 1960s era Aerospace Companies laughed at) for the win, baby.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Meanwhile, while people cry about Twatter, dude has almost single handedly saved the US Space Program and by association,  the area I now call home.

Leonardo DaVinci was a terrible chess player. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I have had twitter for over a decade and its just as good today as it was then.  I mean, if u need to read over 800 tweets a day, it might be time to get some hobbies.

I agree with the second sentence, but as for the first, Twitter is statistically and demonstrably worse than it was pre-Elon. 

• More Ugh 1

The second Threads adds the ability to search for topics, not just accounts, I’m done with the poor man’s version of Frankenstein that Musk turned Twitter into for good.

I don’t even care about anything else re: Musk, I just despise what he’s turned my favorite form of social media into.

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

The second Threads adds the ability to search for topics, not just accounts, I’m done with the poor man’s version of Frankenstein that Musk turned Twitter into for good.

I don’t even care about anything else re: Musk, I just despise what he’s turned my favorite form of social media into.

You have no idea  what you are talking about.   All social media isn’t what you think it is.      

• Upvote 1