Insider Survey: Rodgers was rated top NFL QB entering last year

Survey of execs, coaches, scouts and players.

#1 entering 2022; #2 entering 2021 behind Mahomes.  Will be interesting to see how far AR has dropped after a subpar year in 2022.  QB survey rankings entering 2023 do out July 17.  

Do the people who manage, coach, scout and play this game for a living see big red flags or do they feel a broken finger, subpar receiving corps, and other factors explain the production dip?

Here are ESPN's top 10 quarterbacks heading into 2022 season, based on its survey of experts:
  • Aaron Rodgers.
  • Patrick Mahomes.
  • Josh Allen.
  • Tom Brady.
  • Joe Burrow.
  • Matthew Stafford.
  • Justin Herbert.
  • Russell Wilson.

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Just remember Mekhi Becton was like the #7 tackle entering 2021.

Haha -- true dat.  But he kind of did look like he might have been entering year 2 based on his rookie year where he was a dominant run blocker and showed a lot of promise as a pass blocker.  Who the F knew injuries would make him miss the next 2 years and he'd blow up to over 400 pounds last year (which didn't help the stability of his knee)?

These surveys are imperfect, no doubt.  But it's interesting to me that it's coming from League rather than message board experts or lazy narrative driven media.  

It does seem like reputations give a biased inflation to certain players, like Jalen Ramsey :).  Also Xavien Howard was Honorable Mention above DJ Reed yet most people who KNOW football recognize Howard has already trended down, is boom or bust while Reed at 26 might still not have peaked.     

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

That was a long time ago. 

1 year ago is a long time ago but not really.  He was #1 entering last season, #2 the season before.

in any event, he wasn’t great last year but do those who play against him feel it was age or extenuating circumstances.  That’s why I’m curious about his upcoming ranking.  

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I Rodgers going to be Tom Brady or Russel Wilson that is the big question.

Yep- a key question for sure.  I also wonder how much his unhappiness in GB caught up with him in the face of aformentioned obstacles PLUS his age.

Motivation at his age would seem to be an extremely critical factor toward success.  I’m ootimistic he seems happy, hungry, and in great shape.  

• Upvote 1

Coming off two mvp seasons it’s hard to see how Rodgers would’ve been anything but number one. But that was a season ago and then he played with injuries and a bunch of no name receivers.  He’s got a better situation with the jets and should be able to maintain a top five status.

• Upvote 2