If you were Woody ... JD/Saleh's futures

jgb

JD/Saleh's futures  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Under what circumstances would you fire JD after the season?

• If no SB
    • If no AFC title game
    • If one-and-done in playoffs
    • If no playoffs
    • If <.500
    • If last place in division
    • Depends on circumstances / no specific mandate
    • I wouldn't
  2. 2. Under what circumstances would you fire Saleh after the season?

• If no SB
    • If no AFC title game
    • If one-and-done in playoffs
    • If no playoffs
    • If <.500
    • If last place in division
    • Depends on circumstances / no specific mandate
    • I wouldn't

They're both pretty cool right now on the seat, but I believe at least Saleh has to show some sort of improvement recordwise from last season. Especially with Rodgers.

JD something would have to happen to get him fired. Not the lack thereof of anything

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Best young GM/HC in the league.  Neither is going anywhere.

I agree with this statement.  We had a very average team with a few stars last year with sh*t QB play and were competitive.  Preparation and motivation are not an issue with this coaching staff.  JD has done a great job and everyone will forget about the Beckton thing if he is dominant this year (I still think the dude is a head case and feels like the jets owe him something for being a lazy piece of sh*t).

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No playoffs in 2023, both are let go.

This is year 5 of the JD Era.  12 years since we've made a postseason and counting.

And he has Aaron Rodgers.

There are no acceptable excuses for sub-playoff play from this team.

not sure there is another answer other than this one.

maybe if they win 11 games and somehow don't make the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No playoffs in 2023, both are let go.

This is year 5 of the JD Era.  12 years since we've made a postseason and counting.

And he has Aaron Rodgers.

There are no acceptable excuses for sub-playoff play from this team.

Rodgers injury is the only excuse that would potentially be valid. Although GM also chooses the backup QB so…

“We inherited a mess” can only spare you for so long 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Larz said:

When are their contracts up ?

Seems like a next year decision 

Most teams don't let gm and hc do their jobs as lame ducks. This is a 24 offseason decision 

And if you don't fire these guys that means they are getting raises 

JD is 20 and 46 that's not really worthy of getting a raise 

• Upvote 1

For me it would take a whole lot of suck to fire JD but Saleh has a shorter leash.

But barring a significant injury to Rodgers....under .500 or last place would be a hard pill to swallow, and if Douglas was fired for that, I'd get it. 

This is supposed to be the culmination of a well-built roster.  The QB being the final piece to the puzzle.  It should not fail that miserably without some serious organizational issues.

But yes, I'd fire Saleh MUCH easier than Douglas.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Aye, something odd like that might be the only scenario they would survive.

For me it's simply a matter of "typical NFL business".

1. JD is going into his 2nd to last year of his 6 year contract in 2023.

2. 99% of the time, NFL Owners do not have their GM's work on the "lame duck" final year of their contracts.

3. This one of two things is likely to happen during or after the 2023 season.

a. JD gets extended another 4-6 years.

b. JD is let go.

Thus the calculus is simple.  If JD has not produced a playoff team after 5 years of his 6 year deal, Woody is (IMO) likely to move on rather than re-up another 4-5 years of contract for JD, knowing a failure to make the playoffs again in 2024 would assuredly result in his firing anyway.

But I think we can be assured, something will happen before the 2024 season.  And 2023 is the make-or-break year that will decide what that something is, ultimately.

Yep.  It's a lot like dating.  At some point you have to have the stones to say "I'm marrying this girl/guy" or you break up.  You can't hem and haw or kick the can down the road any further.

It's bad business to prolong the question mark.  Either you're all in on JD after this season or you're all out and there's really no in between.  As you say:  It's gonna be year 6 in 2024.  You really ought to know what you have in your GM by then.  

• Upvote 3

JD’s future is on the Rodgers restructure and Q.  If he gets to week one without having to cut anyone and Rodgers cap hit next year is under 55 million that’s impressive. 

Saleh’s future is on the basics of are they ready to go every week, do they play hard for 60 minutes, penalty differential and clock management.  I’d like him to be more aggressive and he needs to fix how his team gets blown out after having extra rest. 

I think bringing in Rodgers has bought them the next 2 yrs.   You wouldnt want to change coaching staffs for the last year of Rodgers time here.   Continuity and familiarity are critical for having him perform at his best.

If Woody is unsure about them long term, I could see 1-2 yr extensions while he decides  on longer term deals.

Personally I think they are both the best we have had in a while and neither is going anywhere.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I think bringing in Rodgers has bought them the next 2 yrs.   You wouldnt want to change coaching staffs for the last year of Rodgers time here.   Continuity and familiarity are critical for having him perform at his best.

If Woody is unsure about them long term, I could see 1-2 yr extensions while he decides  on longer term deals.

Personally I think they are both the best we have had in a while and neither is going anywhere.

I don't think Rodgers bought them anything.  I think they are now at his mercy.  Everything has been going great and he has been a good soldier.  What will happen if he doesn't like the play calls?  I remember Favre ignoring Schottenheimer.  What happens if he wants them to sign Ezekiel Elliott and play him instead of Carter or Marcedes Lewis to play over Ruckert?  What if he starts complaining about Saleh's t-shirts or doesn't like that they punted on 4th and short?  He has the ability to get them all fired. 

• Upvote 2

With the praise heaped on Sauce/Hall/AVT and bringing in the first effective QB in years, JD is pretty much untouchable. 

Saleh has done less in his role and given how good the roster is perceived to be, a non-injury induced failure may get him shown the door. I have a hard time believing the issues with LaFleur have been forgotten. Wins make everything right. Mangini was dumped after an 8-8 season missing the playoffs under extremely similar circumstances so his seat could be a little warm right now. 

The only thing that I could see leading to JD's dismissal is an unreasonable defense of keeping Saleh after an awful season. I couldn't see JD doing that to himself. I don't think he has that strong of a connection to Saleh.

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

the rodgers thing throws a wrench in the playoff mandate.  but if they don't make playoffs is rodgers really going to stick around for another year?  i doubt it.

the more i think about it, they really overpaid for rodgers.  someone must have been there as a stalking horse.

I said depends on the circumstances.

If we go under .500 or are last in the AFC East that probably means Aaron Rodgers got injured. There are circumstances where I wouldn't fire either depending on how it plays out, there are circumstances where I'd clean house. I really think it depends.

Generally speaking I'm still high on both and think this can really work out long term. I think the season would really need to be a total disaster for me to fire them.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Unless it goes completely off the rails I can’t see either of them getting fired. Both probably getting extensions 

If we have less than 7 wins and Rodgers plays.....  that puts Saleh on the hot seat.  As bad as JD has drafted, early on,  he seems to know what he is doing.  His 1st and 2nd round picks in 2020 and 2021 are at best shaky. Is there a team with LESS input from their 1st and 2nd rounder's in 2020 and 2021 than JD???

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Firs time I think in my lifetime that we had a good hc gm and now roster. And dude want to hurry up and bring back gase. Crazy. Neither one is going anywhere anytime soon 

Who wanted to bring back Gase? Only SAR as far as I recollect.

• Upvote 1

Rodgers injury is the only excuse that would potentially be valid. Although GM also chooses the backup QB so…
“We inherited a mess” can only spare you for so long 
Based on your well known stance concerning QB2, you should definitely be for firing JD is Rodgers gets hurt.

I think there are scenarios where one or both of these guys could be fired. I don’t think Douglas is on a hot seat yet. I think saleh is on one. Saleh has to demonstrate that he can make all of this stated talent play as a team and make the playoffs. Outside of a huge injury bug, saleh will not last if he doesn’t show some success. He was able to dodge some heat last season because milfy was inept and Wilson did so poorly. No excuses this season.