Netflix - "Quarterback"

Dcat

Watching the 1st episode of Quarterback.  Very good so far.  The series follows Mahomes, Cousins and Mariota on and off the field in 2022.  This first episode is very well put together.  Worth a watch if you have Netflix.

AAAAQbEcW_dKM4XggF1sDJ8txLLRK4LSXVV4NOvI

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

It's a shame no one advocated for him here actually before he became a star.

Granted the jets had the chance and passed. So did a number of other teams.  He also came from a chuck and duck program and those QBs had a bad track record.

• Upvote 1

Idk, after a while these shows, including 1JD and Hard Knocks, they become repetitive. Game action mixed in with a family story. 

Unless it includes my favorite team, I don't really care about watching Mahommes at his birthday party. Unless there's an actual story there, it's all just filler with game action we already saw.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Maybe it's because I'm in the same boat but realizing Mahomes is just another idiot husband that gets dragged into taking 80 pregnancy photos against his will with his expecting wife brought me a ton of comfort.

Ah yes, the Gender reveal, pregnancy glamor shot generation.... 😆 

We asked the OB to NOT tell us the gender of our second child, figured there are only so many surprises left in the life of people in their late 30s....but for some reason we were convinced it would be a girl. Had the perfect name picked, the whole deal.

Imagine our surprise when they told us "It's a boy!". Named him Sean right then out of nowhere. I always thought I would name a son James for my Grandfather and Uncle, but that would have complicated things because of my wife's name.... Her name is Cim, Turkish for Meadow, and we didn't want a Jim and Cim in the house! Lol. 

Of course, I never thought about what naming my Boys Sean and Connor would do. When I call them or yell, it sounds like I'm yelling at Sean Connery.

• Haha 4

52 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Every generation thinks the one after them sucks… they’re all correct.

52 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Her name is Cim, Turkish for Meadow

Seni seviyorum aşkım.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

We asked the OB to NOT tell us the gender of our second child, figured there are only so many surprises left in the life of people in their late 30s....but for some reason we were convinced it would be a girl. Had the perfect name picked, the whole deal.

Imagine our surprise when they told us "It's a boy!". Named him Sean right then out of nowhere. I always thought I would name a son James for my Grandfather and Uncle, but that would have complicated things because of my wife's name.... Her name is Cim, Turkish for Meadow, and we didn't want a Jim and Cim in the house! Lol. 

Of course, I never thought about what naming my Boys Sean and Connor would do. When I call them or yell, it sounds like I'm yelling at Sean Connery.

I have Sean and Connor too.

And an Aiden.

Thanks for making me realize I'm a cliché. 

• Haha 1

Agree that Mahomes comes off like a douche. Cousins tries too hard to be this image of “normal”. Mariota seems pretty cool.

All care about their craft though. 

I liked the show. Glad they had three different types of QBs. Gave us a glimpse of the physical skillset that makes Mahomes great. Cousins success really comes down to his commitment and ability to digest the playbook.

Got the sense that Mariota’s struggles come down to not being able to fully grasp the playbook.

It's boring. It's all fluff with no content or insight. And if anyone thinks there is any comparison to Hard Knocks they're nuts.  The film is 90% from games from last season.  BFD.  It is not intrusive or omnipresent like Hard Knocks.   The players are filming what they want filmed. 

And why is Cousins' 3-4 year old son still using a pacifier???????

On 7/22/2023 at 5:34 AM, GreenFish said:

Agree that Mahomes comes off like a douche. Cousins tries too hard to be this image of “normal”. Mariota seems pretty cool.

All care about their craft though. 

I liked the show. Glad they had three different types of QBs. Gave us a glimpse of the physical skillset that makes Mahomes great. Cousins success really comes down to his commitment and ability to digest the playbook.

Got the sense that Mariota’s struggles come down to not being able to fully grasp the playbook.

He also has less than zero personality. He was the hardest to watch of the three for me. 

On 7/21/2023 at 5:05 PM, y2k8 said:

Kirk Cousins wins the documentary. He is the man most wish they could be. A genuine role model for young people.

Brittany Mahomes is basically Judy Gemstone. Voice and everything.

I’m up to episode three and I still don’t like Cousins. In fact, I think I like him even less. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m up to episode three and I still don’t like Cousins. In fact, I think I like him even less. 

You know the saying, "Good guys finish last"? That is Cousins. Very white bread and wholesome. And that is fine. But at times it can feel off-putting. That is just me.

Roger Staubach broke that mold many years ago, but there have been few. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, slats said:

If you watch the whole entire thing and still hate him, I'd like to know why. 

Granted, when it started with him reading to his kid, I was like - I'm hitting Fast Forward. But it all comes full circle.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

If you watch the whole entire thing and still hate him, I'd like to know why. 

Granted, when it started with him reading to his kid, I was like - I'm hitting Fast Forward. But it all comes full circle.

I've watched entirely through, and I still feel that way. Gary Carter was that way with the Expos and then the Mets. "Camera Carter", was his nickname behind his back. Always out in front of the camera, showing the pearly whites and giving off an "awww, shucks" personalty with that wholesome veneer. And that is fine if that is the genuine thing. And like Carter, I believe that is Cousins, also. 

But, it is not for everybody. For Carter, behind his back, his teammates made fun of him and some resented that out front good-guy approach. It really rubbed some guys the wrong way. 

Not saying that Cousins has that going on, but it is always a danger. 

Give Netflix credit, they found 3 personalities that were very different and represented different models. That is what make a documentary interesting. My personal opinion, Cousins was the least interesting.