Jump to content

Season History Of Teams Appearing On Hard Knocks


Recommended Posts

Year Team Record Playoffs?
2001 Ravens 10-6 Yes; lost to Steelers in divisional round
2002 Cowboys 5-11 No
2007 Chiefs 4-12 No
2008 Cowboys 9-7 No
2009 Bengals 10-6 Yes; lost to Jets in wild-card round
2010 Jets 11-5 Yes; lost to Steelers in AFC championship game
2012 Dolphins 7-9 No
2013 Bengals 11-5 Yes; lost to Chargers in wild-card round
2014 Falcons 6-10 No
2015 Texans 9-7 Yes; lost to Chiefs in wild-card round
2016 Rams 4-12 No
2017 Buccaneers 5-11 No
2018 Browns 7-8-1 No
2019 Raiders 7-9 No
2020 Chargers 7-9 No
2020 Rams 10-6 Yes; lost to Packers in divisional round
2021 Cowboys 12-5 Yes; lost to 49ers in wild-card round
2022 Lions 8-9 No
2023 Jets TBD TBD
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for posting the above.  So 7 out of 18 teams in Hard Knocks made the playoffs.  That is 39% of Hard Knocks participating teams making playoffs.  This proves that Hard Knocks has no meaningful impact on W/L.

There are 32 teams in the NFL and, until last season, only 12 made the playoffs each year.  That's 38% of the teams.

So it looks like Hard Knocks gives teams a 1% advantage in making the playoffs.

So enough of the B.S. that Hark Knocks makes it more difficult to make the playoffs.  Data since 2001 shows that this is a totally false claim.  So now we can sit back and enjoy the show and be happy that it slightly improves the Jets' playoff chances.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Thank you for posting the above.  So 7 out of 18 teams in Hard Knocks made the playoffs.  That is 39% of Hard Knocks participating teams making playoffs.  This proves that Hard Knocks has no meaningful impact on W/L.

There are 32 teams in the NFL and, until last season, only 12 made the playoffs each year.  That's 38% of the teams.

So it looks like Hard Knocks gives teams a 1% advantage in making the playoffs.

So enough of the B.S. that Hark Knocks makes it more difficult to make the playoffs.  Data since 2001 shows that this is a totally false claim.  So now we can sit back and enjoy the show and be happy that it slightly improves the Jets' playoff chances.

Especially when you consider it's not a representative sample. Teams aren't on Hard Knocks unless they haven't been to the playoffs for 2+ years prior. So that largely eliminates teams with an in-his-prime FQB.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Especially when you consider it's not a representative sample. Teams aren't on Hard Knocks unless they haven't been to the playoffs for 2+ years prior. So that largely eliminates teams with an in-his-prime FQB.

Yup... Well then that actually increases the odds that Hard Knocks gives its participating teams a slight advantage in making the playoffs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yup... Well then that actually increases the odds that Hard Knocks gives its participating teams a slight advantage in making the playoffs!

If I had to bet, I’d bet there was no statistical significance. There have been 19 seasons of Hard Knocks, which means 608 team-seasons over that same time period. For a population of only 32 team, a 3% sample is not enough to draw many conclusions with a high degree of confidence. Very similar to the “Madden Curse.”

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:
Year Team Record Playoffs?
2001 Ravens 10-6 Yes; lost to Steelers in divisional round
2002 Cowboys 5-11 No
2007 Chiefs 4-12 No
2008 Cowboys 9-7 No
2009 Bengals 10-6 Yes; lost to Jets in wild-card round
2010 Jets 11-5 Yes; lost to Steelers in AFC championship game
2012 Dolphins 7-9 No
2013 Bengals 11-5 Yes; lost to Chargers in wild-card round
2014 Falcons 6-10 No
2015 Texans 9-7 Yes; lost to Chiefs in wild-card round
2016 Rams 4-12 No
2017 Buccaneers 5-11 No
2018 Browns 7-8-1 No
2019 Raiders 7-9 No
2020 Chargers 7-9 No
2020 Rams 10-6 Yes; lost to Packers in divisional round
2021 Cowboys 12-5 Yes; lost to 49ers in wild-card round
2022 Lions 8-9 No
2023 Jets TBD TBD

The 2010 New York Jets.

By any measure, the greatest team in Hard Knocks history.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course the success rate is low for playoffs with Hard Knocks teams. A requirement is to not have been in the playoffs in back to back years. So the teams up for it aren't good teams the previous 2 years. 
On the flip side ... the teams that are more interesting viewing are likely the ones that appear poised to "make the leap" in the coming year.



Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Shoe size is highly correlated with reading ability and comprehension.

Shark attacks are highly correlated with ice cream sales.

 

@Barry McCockinner

People look for patterns to make sense of the world and it makes them feel better when they believe they understand why things happen.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

My hard knocks wish would be the camera panning the cafeteria as the players are eating and talking and then you see Zach sitting by himself sipping milk looking sad.

Feeding Becton a salad having to pretend the fork is an airplane to coax him to open his mouth 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...