The 2023 NY Jets #1 concern

Bronx

Fair to rank us there.  So much depends on health.  If Becton returns to his rookie form, Tomlinson returns to his 49ers form, Tippman is good out of the gate, and Mitchell stays healthy at RT, then the line could be very good.  But that's a LOT of ifs.  Too many.

• Upvote 4

Just having the same 5 guys play all preseason and then the first 5 regular season games will make a huge difference.

I have a suspicion that Brown may not be ready right away but Becton will.  It’s possible Saleh is bluffing Becton.  I’m my mind the biggest concern is does Tomlinson decide to put in an effort this year and who starts at RT. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I guess it's fair but I really think we see a huge bump in o-line performance from Rodgers being QB. Obviously being more healthy would help too.

this is what i was gonna say. the rodgers effect on the o-line will be noticeable

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Personally, I think it's a solid group in terms of starters and depth. They need to stay healthy to earn more respect.

I agree.  I think they were getting plenty of respect when Breece Hall was running around like a maniac and carrying them.  Even with the injuries, they held up well for quite some time.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

All about health. The oline over the past three seasons failed mainly because of injury. Sure you can point at some players like van roten or Khalil butitwas mainly because these guys had little chance to play as a cohesive unit.  Even milfy would’ve done better if the oline stayed intact.

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

Fair to rank us there.  So much depends on health.  If Becton returns to his rookie form, Saffold returns to his 49ers form, Tippman is good out of the gate, and Mitchell stays healthy at RT, then the line could be very good.  But that's a LOT of ifs.  Too many.

Word. Too many 'iffs'. But I constantly hear about other Olines on sprots radio and it seems like every single one of them have a bunch of their own 'iffs'. 

At least if all of our 'iffs' pan out, we could have a top 2 or 3  oline.

But somehow, we missed an important 'if' to becoming thee top oline: Our LG Tomlinson must wake up one morning and doesn't feel just right......so he looks in his bathroom mirror and he wipes the steam away and where his reflection should be, stands a man named Alan Faneca who  reaches through the mirror and takes Tomlinsons' helmet and says "I got this now....you can go back to bed.

If this happens along with your other iffs, we're golden and we're superbowl bound

16 hours ago, nycdan said:

Fair to rank us there.  So much depends on health.  If Becton returns to his rookie form, Tomlinson returns to his 49ers form, Tippman is good out of the gate, and Mitchell stays healthy at RT, then the line could be very good.  But that's a LOT of ifs.  Too many.

If Brown wins the competition to protect Rodgers’ blind side, effectively sliding Becton to RT alongside AVT, then the right side of that OL is going to be a RB’s dream.

Tippman’s athleticism will also be an added strength to our running game if he can call the correct blocking assignments and learn Rodgers cadence and quick snap audibles. 

22 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Health...They always seem to be in the top five in games lost because of injuries. 

IF they can stay healthy they should be playing January football

Part of that is because we generally are out of the playoff picture by Halloween so Jets have no incentive to play guys less than 100%.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I have no reason to doubt these figures but Zach being the slowest QB in the NFL from snap-to-throw probably has something to do with this. By comparison, Rodgers was the 2nd fastest last season. The line is about to suddenly look a whole lot better.

• Upvote 4

I have no reason to doubt these figures but Zach being the slowest QB in the NFL from snap-to-throw probably has something to do with this. By comparison, Rodgers was the 2nd fastest last season. The line is about to suddenly look a whole lot better.
You know .. since Zach tried to keep too many plays alive using his athleticism, that could help explain the longer snap to throw times too.

Essentially bad OLine play benefits no-one just as bad QB play benefits no-one.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

You know .. since Zach tried to keep too many plays alive using his athleticism, that could help explain the longer snap to throw times too.

Essentially bad OLine play benefits no-one just as bad QB play benefits no-one.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Come on pal he ran away from the LOS like a final girl from a guy with a meat cleaver at the snap 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Sure.  But it still doesn't explain why a guy with supposed "elite escapability" took a Sack on 9.7 % of dropbacks compared to 3.8 % for the other QBs on the roster from 2021-22.  

Extending plays doesn't need to = sacks.  Far from it.

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure.  But it still doesn't explain why a guy with supposed "elite escapability" took a Sack on 9.7 % of dropbacks compared to 3.8 % for the other QBs on the roster from 2021-22.  

Extending plays doesn't need to = sacks.  Far from it.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Come on pal he ran away from the LOS like a final girl from a guy with a meat cleaver at the snap 

^^^ Also this, lol

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2023 at 8:55 AM, shawn306 said:

Health...They always seem to be in the top five in games lost because of injuries. 

IF they can stay healthy they should be playing January football

Is that really a stat?  Serious question because I simply don't know.

Which teams were were ahead of the Jets in games lost due to injuries?