Training Camp “Honey-Do” List for JD, Saleh & Hackett

18 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

In no particular order:

1. Manage what HK gets to film. Have your best “fixers” attached to their film crews and run interference so coaches and players are minimally affected. 

2.  Get the OL competitions at LT/RT/C concluded quickly. Let’s not have this drag on so that the starting 5 get the majority of reps with our new FQB.

3. With Berrios gone (hooray) let’s find our Punt/ KO Return Man.

4. Determine who our WS LB will be. If no one distinguishes themself, then get Kwon on the phone.

5. Reworked Contracts: Mosley, Corey, Ashtyn and finally AR. Would like to see a minimum of $12m saved and applied to AR new contact.

6. Final WR battle: Mims, Charles, Kapp, Brownlee or Gipson.

7. Getting the new Offense, that only a handful of former Packers understand, implemented. GW, Hardman, TE and RB groups need to catch on quickly.

8. Keep players as healthy as possible!!!

* Any other items that should be a priority heading into camp?

All pretty good goals. Getting the oline set is important. I think I would add making sure Zach is getting the work he needs so he can step in for a series or game if Rodgers goes out. It sounds like Zach will already have a heavy preseason schedule.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

All pretty good goals. Getting the oline set is important. I think I would add making sure Zach is getting the work he needs so he can step in for a series or game if Rodgers goes out. It sounds like Zach will already have a heavy preseason schedule.

I can’t believe I left that out. His development will be of great importance. He & Becton are the two players I want shielded from HK!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Breece is healthy and ready to go.  Doesnt even need any restrictions.

RB is a non issue for the Jets.

I should also add: 

MAKE CERTAIN MET LIFE FIELD DOESN’T CAUSE CONTACTLESS KNEE INJURIES!

This new turf better be the final solution to an embarrassing workplace safety issue.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

RB1? - Is Breece ready physically and mentally. RB2 & 3.

Yup.  Every option we have at RB right now is a question mark. 

Will Breece be the difference maker he appeared to be last year, or will he need more time coming off the injury?  Will Carter be the guy who looked like a solid rotational back as a rookie, or will he look like the guy who disappointed last year.  Who is Bam Knight, the guy who flashed while averaging 5 yards per carry through his first 3 games (46 - 230) with another 10 receptions, or is he the guy who averaged 1.8 per carry with 3 receptions over the last 4?  What can we expect out of Abanikanda as a rookie? We could be fine with what we have, or it could be a desperate need. 

A lot to learn about the position over the next 2 months.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Will Breece be the difference maker he appeared to be last year, or will he need more time coming off the injury?  Will Carter be the guy who looked like a solid rotational back as a rookie, or will he look like the guy who disappointed last year.  Who is Bam Knight, the guy who flashed while averaging 5 yards per carry through his first 3 games (46 - 230) with another 10 receptions, or is he the guy who averaged 1.8 per carry with 3 receptions over the last 4?  What can we expect out of Abanikanda as a rookie? We could be fine with what we have, or it could be a desperate need. 

Luckily this season the Jets won’t have to rely on the rush as much, with a much more solid QB and bolstered WR corps. Should help with the issues we saw last season.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

I have a feeling it was the OL play over the last half of the season that killed the RB's (and also Mike W.) With no blocking and no threat of a passing game, there was no place to go against a stacked box. They won't be exceptional until Breece returns at full speed, but should be acceptable.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hex said:

Luckily this season the Jets won’t have to rely on the rush as much, with a much more solid QB and bolstered WR corps. Should help with the issues we saw last season.

Agreed.  Defenses won't be able to load the box as much this season.  I think whoever we have will be more effective than they were, especially at the end of last season where our OL included guys who were pulled off the street a couple weeks earlier and nobody respected our passing game.  But even so, there is no RB on this roster right now where you know what to expect for the coming season.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

I have a feeling it was the OL play over the last half of the season that killed the RB's (and also Mike W.) With no blocking and no threat of a passing game, there was no place to go against a stacked box. They won't be exceptional until Breece returns at full speed, but should be acceptable.

Defenses fearing our pass game 0% also had something to do with it 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

WRONG.  Running game will be just as important as the passing game . RODGERS IS NOT A MAGICIAN .

I never said the running game wouldn’t be as important as the passing game, I said they wouldn’t have to rely on it as much. Because last season the running game was relied on way more than a normal team does and it showed in injuries.

You may not think Rodgers is a magician but he is surely an upgrade from the crap performances we had last season.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Lith said:

Micheal Carter recent interview with Ethan Greenberg:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/why-does-michael-carter-think-he-can-have-a-big-year-in-2023-with-the-jets

Nothing earth shattering but the way he perked up in positively describing the 2 rookies (Ab & Dye who he called smart 3 times)  tells me he's not taking anything for granted in making this team. Think the RB room is definitely going to be a Hard Knocks. segment.

• Upvote 1

As usual, I will be interested in who they carry at the bottom of the roster.  In particular, I am concerned about whether they plan to carry/use a FB (Bawden is there and they may utilize Ruckert there) and TE.  They have two guys that are probably locks based on contract.  Ruckert seems next up and they drafted Kuntz and still have Yeboah.  4 is a lot of TE to carry, especially if they carry a FB.  They have a couple of interesting UDFA types at TE in Gathings and Jenkins, but they seem like practice squad only guys. 

I will also be interested in the way the safeties are deployed.  I think that they added guys who are more in the bigger banger range in Clarke and Amos,  Lamarcus Joyner seems more along the lines of a slot CB that plays some safety.  I think slot corners like MC2 and Guidry probably fit that mold.  I remember a bunch of talk about these guys cross-training but they seemed pretty set in their roles last year.  I wonder how that will shake out and if it influences who they keep.  I remember Echols and Pinnock supposedly cross-training, but when it came desperation time at S, they did just move the guy who was behind on the depth chart over 100% to S.

I think these will be highly boring storylines avoided by Hard Knocks.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I will also be interested in the way the safeties are deployed.  I think that they added guys who are more in the bigger banger range in Clarke and Amos,  Lamarcus Joyner seems more along the lines of a slot CB that plays some safety.

Joyner didn’t get a new contract.

As far as Bawden… FB is a luxury I don’t think we can afford with Breece coming off injury, we’ll need to carry 4 RB (BH, Izzy, MC & Bam) unless a trade happens and we clear a spot.

On 7/16/2023 at 7:27 AM, 32EBoozer said:

7. Getting the new Offense, that only a handful of former Packers understand, implemented. GW, Hardman, TE and RB groups need to catch on quickly.

https://nypost.com/2023/07/16/jets-wide-receivers-must-learn-aaron-rodgers-signals-at-line/

Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis, C.J. Uzomah and other pass-catchers who have not previously played with Rodgers have to learn the quarterback’s many hand gestures that former Packers receivers Allen Lazard and Randall Cobb, as well as offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, already know.

“It’s something that he takes a lot of pride in, and it’s something that we love to see because he takes advantage of certain areas on the field,” Hackett said. “It definitely puts a little pressure on the wide receivers because they can’t ever just lock in on something that they’re going to be doing. If the quarterback sees an advantageous look for something, he’ll give you something very quick, and you have to have your eyes on him and eyes on the ball.”

Rodgers ran weekly in-season hand-signal meetings with the Packers offensive skill players and the expectation is that will continue with the Jets. 

Brushing his arm or tapping his helmet is how the details-oriented Rodgers alerts receivers and tight ends to alter routes based on the pre-snap look and spacing of the defense.

“We get some simple ones to start and then we’ll start ramping them up once camp comes,” Rodgers said on the final day of OTAs. “Just ease into that, test them every single day. The fun part is in the walk-throughs to not just turn your brain off and be a robot. Test them on signals, test them on cadence, test them on alignments and slight adjustments we might have talked about just in the locker room. The guys pick it up good.”

The reward for paying attention is earning Rodgers’ trust and the opportunity to put up big numbers.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

As far as Bawden… FB is a luxury I don’t think we can afford with Breece coming off injury, we’ll need to carry 4 RB (BH, Izzy, MC & Bam) unless a trade happens and we clear a spot.

Bawden’s in a roster battle with the TEs, not the RBs, but that’s not going to be any easier for him. It really will come down to how much Hackett wants to employ a FB, and whether or not the TEs can fill that role (Ruckert is often listed as a FB or H-back). Jets will carry their top three TEs, so it’s something like Bawden vs. Kuntz and Gathings. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

https://nypost.com/2023/07/16/jets-wide-receivers-must-learn-aaron-rodgers-signals-at-line/

Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis, C.J. Uzomah and other pass-catchers who have not previously played with Rodgers have to learn the quarterback’s many hand gestures that former Packers receivers Allen Lazard and Randall Cobb, as well as offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, already know.

“It’s something that he takes a lot of pride in, and it’s something that we love to see because he takes advantage of certain areas on the field,” Hackett said. “It definitely puts a little pressure on the wide receivers because they can’t ever just lock in on something that they’re going to be doing. If the quarterback sees an advantageous look for something, he’ll give you something very quick, and you have to have your eyes on him and eyes on the ball.”

Rodgers ran weekly in-season hand-signal meetings with the Packers offensive skill players and the expectation is that will continue with the Jets. 

Brushing his arm or tapping his helmet is how the details-oriented Rodgers alerts receivers and tight ends to alter routes based on the pre-snap look and spacing of the defense.

“We get some simple ones to start and then we’ll start ramping them up once camp comes,” Rodgers said on the final day of OTAs. “Just ease into that, test them every single day. The fun part is in the walk-throughs to not just turn your brain off and be a robot. Test them on signals, test them on cadence, test them on alignments and slight adjustments we might have talked about just in the locker room. The guys pick it up good.”

The reward for paying attention is earning Rodgers’ trust and the opportunity to put up big numbers.

This makes sense on what I previous posted on why Micheal Carter said the 2 rookies Izzy and Travis Dye were smart 3 times in one short answer. By the third time he said "I already said that"... guess he's feeling the pressure which is a good thing.  

In no order these things need to be figured out.

1. How healthy Hall will be to start the season. Hoping he's a full go Week 1. If not it depends on how limited he will be on what I want us to do here. If he's missing time then I think we need a vet RB brought in. If he's going to be eased in with still getting 10-20 touches early on. Then I don't think we need to bring anyone in.

2. Who's starting C. Tipp vs CMG. I hope Tipp wins.

3. I don't think this is much of a battle... but LT vs RT. I see no way a healthy Brown doesn't win the LT job and Becton stays at RT.

4. Who's starting FS. Amos and Whitehead are not ballhawks. So we need to see who that guy is for us. Is it Adams? Staff seems to like him. But that doesn't mean at a starting top 5 defense level.

5. Are we trusting our developmental guys as LB depth or are we going to sign Kwon. Need him in sooner rather than later if we can to get in football shape.

6. What's our best DL group for certain situations. See what our best pass rush units are. And more importantly what is our best run stuffing unit. We at times did struggle against the run at DL and at LB last year. Get that figured out.

7. Restructure Corey Davis and CJ Mosley

8. Pay Rodgers as much as we can after we have the roster set. Leave some cap space for in season moves obviously... but we don't want that dead money in later years to be anymore than it has to be.

9. Who's our return guy. Get that figured out. Hardman is the easy choice but as our staring slot likely can we afford to use him in KR/PR. And starting Cobb in the slot if Hardman gets injured isn't something I'm into.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, slats said:

Bawden’s in a roster battle with the TEs, not the RBs, but that’s not going to be any easier for him. It really will come down to how much Hackett wants to employ a FB, and whether or not the TEs can fill that role (Ruckert is often listed as a FB or H-back). Jets will carry their top three TEs, so it’s something like Bawden vs. Kuntz and Gathings. 

I think Bawden had virtually 1 touch last season.Makes no sense carrying a player who may get on the field for 3 snaps/game. If he ran similar to AJ Dillon (250 lb) then yes. 

Best to use Ruckert when in short yardage situations. Bawden will be on bench & not offering value elsewhere like Ruckert

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Joyner didn’t get a new contract.

I know Joyner didn't get a new contract.  My point is that Joyner is that guy that is getting replaced.  He was an early signing for this regime, so presumably a fit for what they wanted.  Some have said that they want more interchangeable safeties and these guys fit that mold more, but they don't seem to slot into the Joyner role very well.  

Your comments about FB are exactly why I find it interesting.  They carried Bawden all last year while he was hurt even though his contract was up.  Then they brought him back.  I think Hackett has used a FB a fair amount every place he goes.  They drafted Josiah Deguara in the 3rd round.  People call/called him a TE, but I think most of his usage was at FB.  in Denver he had Andrew Beck.  I am convinced they will use a fair amount of FB.  Whether that comes from Bawden, Ruckert, or one of the other TE remains to be seen. 

I don't think they need to carry 4 RB on roster.  They will need 4 available, but I think 3 healthy backs with one on the practice squad is probably enough.   Trouble is somebody is always dinged and they are starting with one foot in the hole with Hall probably being on a pitch count early.  Ruckert seems perfect for those wham blocks.  Kuntz seems bigger and more receiver oriented, but I would imagine he will be in competition with Bam and Bawden for one of the last spots on O - and specials. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think Bawden had virtually 1 touch last season.Makes no sense carrying a player who may get on the field for 3 snaps/game. If he ran similar to AJ Dillon (250 lb) then yes. 

Best to use Ruckert when in short yardage situations. Bawden will be on bench & not offering value elsewhere like Ruckert

Bawden had no touches last year.  He got hurt early in camp.  They waived him injured at the end of camp and then carried him on IR all season.  I think that shows that they like him since he had already cleared waivers and was not under contract for 2023, though he signed right away.  Maybe that is just showing some class to a guy that is below the top 51, so not influencing the cap.  He played 60 offensive snaps in 2021 and another 150 on specials even though he was picked up from the Lions in late September and not elevated to the roster until Thanksgiving.  He was generally playing 15-20% of the offensive snaps.  He actually played more than  Ruckert did last year.  You do not judge a FB on touches.  That would be like saying that it makes no sense carrying Duane Brown because he had zero touches last year.

I agree they will probably try to use Ruckert in that role, but don't sleep on Bawden making a roster push.  He played a ton of specials.  I always wonder how much influence Boyer has on roster decisions.  I mean they let him carry Hardee, so he has 4 players already that are 100% specials. 

At the end of the day, I still don't buy what Robert Saleh is trying to sell.

Does anybody here think they would have won fewer games in '22 with Riverboat Ron Middleton calling the shots for 17 weeks?

Middleton showed more guts and inspiration in the 1 game he coached vs the Jags than Saleh has in however many games he's had.

Until proven otherwise, the head coach and offensive line remain the weakest links on the team.

Ron-Middleton-NY-Jets-Senior-Bowl-Head-C

Becton vs Lawson 2.0

Eval Tippmann as possible Starter
Kwon's Hole
RB

Safety

Chemistry of Rodgers' Squadron 

Saleh's Story Wall Forward or PreAmble .   Will nap time be included ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Sympathy 1