r Lazard, Carter II underrated ?

jtomm

Jets Newcomer Makes ‘All-Underrated’ Team in 2023

Story by Michael Obermuller  Saturday

The New York Jets are getting a ton of attention heading into the 2023 campaign, but is it possible that some NYJ players are being overlooked? NFL Network’s “Good Morning Football” put together an “All-Underrated” roster ahead of training camp and brand-new wide receiver Allen Lazard made the list on the offensive side.

GMFB's All-Underrated Offense QB: Jared Goff RB: Najee Harris RB: Rhamondre Stevenson WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown WR: Mike Evans WR: Allen Lazard WR: Terry McLaurin TE: Cole Kmet. NFL Network’s “Good Morning Football” put together an “All-Underrated” roster ahead of training camp and brand-new wide receiver Allen Lazard made the list on the offensive side.

Within the video, Lazard was praised for his “sure hands,” run blocking ability, and “team player” mentality.

Lazard may deserve more recognition around the league, but he was certainly paid like a big-name wide receiver this spring. The Jets awarded the former Green Bay Packers pass-catcher with a four-year, $44 million contract in 2023 after the Iowa State alum worked his way up from his undrafted status.His breakout season came in 2022, as Lazard stepped into the WR1 role with Davante Adams gone in Green Bay. With the weight of that responsibility, Lazard answered the bell with a very solid 788-yard campaign — although his catch percentage was a bit low at 60% last year.

Considering his career-high 100 targets in 2022, one could even argue he was less efficient than in previous years, but he was also forced into a role that he’s not meant to play.Lazard is a very good WR2 at his core, and that’s all he has to be for the Jets with Garrett Wilson already on the roster. In fact, he could even be considered the WR3 if Corey Davis performs up to his potential.With less pressure, less attention, and a built-in chemistry with Aaron Rodgers, Lazard’s efficiency should improve back to his career average in 2023 — even if his overall workload takes a hit.That’s probably why the Jets were willing to bet on the ex-Packer during a slow free agency market this spring. Well, that, and his relationship with new offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett.

Jets Reporter Calls DB Michael Carter II Underrated
After seeing GMFB include Lazard on their “All-Underrated” roster, NYJ beat reporter Zack Rosenblatt suggested another Jets piece that typically flies under the radar. “I’ll throw another Jet into the mix,” Rosenblatt tweeted. “I think Michael Carter II is underrated.”It’s not the first time the slot cornerback has been highlighted for his unnoticed dependability. Teamed with Sauce Gardner and D.J. Reed Jr., it’s easy to overlook Carter in the NYJ secondary.Having said that, the former fifth-round pick has quickly turned into one of the more reliable nickelbacks in the NFL. This March, he guaranteed he’d be No. 1 at his position in 2023 — meaning slot corner not outside corner.

According to PFF, he wasn’t far off from reaching that goal the season prior. If you sort by cornerbacks who lined up in the slot for 300 or more snaps in 2022, few were graded higher than Carter.Buffalo Bills’ Taron Johnson, Cleveland Browns’ Greg Newsome II, and Houston Texans’ Tavierre Thomas were all graded better than Carter in coverage, but worse overall. Only Kansas City Chiefs veteran L’Jarius Sneed was ranked better at the nickel position in terms of overall grade on PFF last season (77.7 compared to 74.3) — he was also better in coverage with marks of 75.7.If Carter can surpass Sneed as the most well-rounded NB in year three, it’d be very hard to argue that the Jets don’t set the standard as the best secondary in the league.

39 minutes ago, Hex said:

MCII is underrated, and ironically that’s already been established.

Time will tell on how Lazard does here.

..with aaron & hackett... i think Lazard is gonna be very productive for us   😉 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, pointman said:

I'd argue that Lazard is overrated. 

This.

I'd argue that several Jets players right now are over-rated by the Jets Fanbase.  We have a tendency (as do most fanbases tbf) to elevate JAG's and replacement-level talent into supposed wanna-be Super Stars-in-the-making.

Fans gonna Fan.

Lazard has played with Rodgers for the Packers with Aaron Rodgers for 5 full seasons, a team that consistently was criticized for "not having enough WR talent" to support Rodgers.  In that time he never broke 700 yards receiving till last year.  Prior to that he was a 400-500 type guy. 

He's a support piece, he's not a star in any way, shape or form.  If Wilson is a stud again, and if Corey Davis plays like the Corey Davis of 2020 instead of the Corey Davis of 2021, Lazard could have a pretty nice year as the #3 WR.  More so if Breece Hall is Breece-Hall-pre-injury when he returns.

So no, I don't think Lazard is underrated at all.  I think Fans who think Lazard will be the #2, catch for over 1,000 yards or score 10 TD's+ this year are simply high on fandom and not living in the real world.

But the best part....is that Lazard will get every opportunity to prove me wrong.

• Upvote 4

Lazard does the dirty work, blocks, can play outside or in the a lot. Tall and fast. Rodgers loves him.  He’ll be on the same page with Rodgers on things like back shoulder throws just from a look the defense is giving.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, pointman said:

I'd argue that Lazard is overrated. I said it. DM all issues with said comment directly to my representation, kev. Be warned, he WILL pretend F you up.

Overrated, how?  He was signed at 2/3 money and will be either a 2/3 WR for the Jets, lol 

Further, he's undrafted free agent by the Jags, who ended up in Green Bay being the #2 WR on a team w/ the arguably the best WR in the league.  As soon as Adams leaves, he lead the team in receiving.  I mean, by all defining criteria, he's overachieving. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Overrated, how?  He was signed at 2/3 money and will be either a 2/3 WR for the Jets, lol 

Further, he's undrafted free agent by the Jags, who ended up in Green Bay being the #2 WR on a team w/ the arguably the best WR in the league.  As soon as Adams leaves, he lead the team in receiving.  I mean, by all defining criteria, he's overachieving. 

I didn't say underachieving. I said overrated. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.

I'd argue that several Jets players right now are over-rated by the Jets Fanbase.  We have a tendency (as do most fanbases tbf) to elevate JAG's and replacement-level talent into supposed wanna-be Super Stars-in-the-making.

Fans gonna Fan.

Lazard has played with Rodgers for the Packers with Aaron Rodgers for 5 full seasons, a team that consistently was criticized for "not having enough WR talent" to support Rodgers.  In that time he never broke 700 yards receiving till last year.  Prior to that he was a 400-500 type guy. 

He's a support piece, he's not a star in any way, shape or form.  If Wilson is a stud again, and if Corey Davis plays like the Corey Davis of 2020 instead of the Corey Davis of 2021, Lazard could have a pretty nice year as the #3 WR.  More so if Breece Hall is Breece-Hall-pre-injury when he returns.

So no, I don't think Lazard is underrated at all.  I think Fans who think Lazard will be the #2, catch for over 1,000 yards or score 10 TD's+ this year are simply high on fandom and not living in the real world.

But the best part....is that Lazard will get every opportunity to prove me wrong.

Again, a bit unfair considering his career arch as a UDFA and that fact he was playing w/ arguably the best WR in the league.  He easily over achieved. 

And who's calling him a star?  Who's expecting a 1,000 yards and 10 TDs?   I've legit, never seen that take on any medium and I'm someone who does think he will end up being a fan favorite and the clear #2.  I see him continuing to improve his stats but even w/ that, I'm not claiming a star or that he's going to break out like that w/ those numbers.

I'd say a great season for him is to continue his progression year over year and if he gives you a similar season as he had last year w/ a little more production...that's a solid year for a #2 and great for the Jets. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, pointman said:

I didn't say underachieving. I said overrated. 

Sure but that doesnt make sense.  lol   Wilson is the clear #1.  Nobody is trying to claim Lazard is going dethrone him.  Most think Davis is going be the #2 here, so I'm just confused.  He signed for 2 borderline 3 money...idk, just a weird take but apparently you're not alone, so idk, maybe I'm missing something. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Again, a bit unfair considering his career arch as a UDFA and that fact he was playing w/ arguably the best WR in the league.  He easily over achieved. 

And who's calling him a star?  Who's expecting a 1,000 yards and 10 TDs?   I've legit, never seen that take on any medium and I'm someone who does think he will end up being a fan favorite and the clear #2.  I see him continuing to improve his stats but even w/ that, I'm not claiming a star or that he's going to break out like that w/ those numbers.

I'd say a great season for him is to continue his progression year over year and if he gives you a similar season as he had last year w/ a little more production...that's a solid year for a #2 and great for the Jets. 

His come up from being an UDFA is awesome. His recognition from being a nobody to know is great for him. He put down 700 yards with Aaron Motherflipping Rodgers throwing to him.

Food for thought.

Rodgers to Lazard = 788 yards.

Darnold to Robby Anderson = 779 yards.

Lazard is "All Underrated Team". Sungod, outcast. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure but that doesnt make sense.  lol   Wilson is the clear #1.  Nobody is trying to claim Lazard is going dethrone him.  Most think Davis is going be the #2 here, so I'm just confused.  He signed for 2 borderline 3 money...idk, just a weird take but apparently you're not alone, so idk, maybe I'm missing something. 

It absolutely makes sense. Lazard is getting a ton of attention and praise like we brought in a prime WR1. He is a solid, long, tall reliable player. I like the signing. Thats it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, pointman said:

It absolutely makes sense. Lazard is getting a ton of attention and praise like we brought in a prime WR1. He is a solid, long, tall reliable player. I like the signing. Thats it.

lmfao - I have yet to see anyone make a claim anywhere near this audacious but if you say so, then you go on w/ your bad self! 

26 minutes ago, JiF said:

His "career arch" is irrelavnt to the question tho.

You're 100% correct that he is over-achieving as an UDFA WR.  But that's not what is being asked.

Over-rated here is a measure of fan expectation vs. reality. 

And I'd argue the fan expectations here are materially higher than the reality for this player.

And who's calling him a star?  Who's expecting a 1,000 yards and 10 TDs?   I've legit, never seen that take on any medium and I'm someone who does think he will end up being a fan favorite and the clear #2.

On a top-10 passing offense, which we would/should hope to have with Rodgers, your #2 WR should be at or very close to 1,000 yards, generally.

For example, the Eagles were 9th in passing in 2022.  Their #1 had 1,496 yards, their #2 had 1,196 and their #3 (TE in their case) had 702.

If our #2 WR only has 700-800 yards again, either we've got problems, or we have an unusually balanced pass distribution across the whole skill-position roster, i.e. we're throwing alot of passes to #3 WR, #4 WR, TE and RB options.

I see him continuing to improve his stats but even w/ that, I'm not claiming a star or that he's going to break out like that w/ those numbers.

Point is your #2 WR should be a 1,000/10 type guy.  Is Lazard that?

Also, what makes you think Lazard will be the #2 over Davis?  Now Davis is a player I think Jets Fans have all but written off, but clearly was retained for a reason, given we'd have saved cap by dumping him!

700 yards and 6 TD's would not be a great season for a #2 WR.  #3 maybe, but not the #2.  Not in a top 10 offense.

Again, unless you think we're going to have a "pass catcher by committee" type of offense where playing time and passes are unusually widely distributed amongst a much larger group than is usual for a top NFL offense.  Which is possible I suppose.

Again, Lazard will get every opportunity to be whatever he is going to be.  What I say here means absolutely nothing.  It's on him to produce, and produce alot IMO, if we're gonna be any good.  Looking forward to seeing his blocking, which should be a big upgrade tbh.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Larz said:

Lazard does the dirty work, blocks, can play outside or in the a lot. Tall and fast. Rodgers loves him.  He’ll be on the same page with Rodgers on things like back shoulder throws just from a look the defense is giving.

IMG_6756.jpeg

this  ^^   😎                      aaron wanted Lazard for MORE than one reason  😉

1 hour ago, Larz said:

IMG_6756.jpeg

Allen Lazard is not fast at all:

Lazard ran an unofficial time of 4.62 in his first attempt and a 4.56 in his second.

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

His "career arch" is irrelavnt to the question tho.

You're 100% correct that he is over-achieving as an UDFA WR.  But that's not what is being asked.

Over-rated here is a measure of fan expectation vs. reality. 

And I'd argue the fan expectations here are materially higher than the reality for this player.

On a top-10 passing offense, which we would/should hope to have with Rodgers, your #2 WR should be at or very close to 1,000 yards, generally.

For example, the Eagles were 9th in passing in 2022.  Their #1 had 1,496 yards, their #2 had 1,196 and their #3 (TE in their case) had 702.

If our #2 WR only has 700-800 yards again, either we've got problems, or we have an unusually balanced pass distribution across the whole skill-position roster, i.e. we're throwing alot of passes to #3 WR, #4 WR, TE and RB options.

Point is your #2 WR should be a 1,000/10 type guy.  Is Lazard that?

Also, what makes you think Lazard will be the #2 over Davis?  Now Davis is a player I think Jets Fans have all but written off, but clearly was retained for a reason, given we'd have saved cap by dumping him!

700 yards and 6 TD's would not be a great season for a #2 WR.  #3 maybe, but not the #2.  Not in a top 10 offense.

Again, unless you think we're going to have a "pass catcher by committee" type of offense where playing time and passes are unusually widely distributed amongst a much larger group than is usual for a top NFL offense.  Which is possible I suppose.

Again, Lazard will get every opportunity to be whatever he is going to be.  What I say here means absolutely nothing.  It's on him to produce, and produce alot IMO, if we're gonna be any good.  Looking forward to seeing his blocking, which should be a big upgrade tbh.

You shared his career arch tho, so I was just commenting on your depiction of his career in GB.

I think your expectations for a #2 are way off.  It's not common your #2 goes for 1,000 yards and it's certainly not the expectation  Yes, it happens w/ some of the best QB's and WR duos but that's not the norm across the league.   Eagles, Dolphins, Bengals were the only teams w/ 2 receivers over 1,000 yards and Waddle, Higgins, Smith are probably #1's on half the teams in the league.

I also disagree that if Lazard gives you a similar season the the Jets are in "trouble".  First and foremost, Rodgers has never had 2 WR's go for over 1,000 yards in the same season and look at offenses/numbers/career he's had, so it's not a necessity at all.  Second, Hackett's offense uses the RB's in the passing game a ton.  In the back to back MVP seasons for Rodgers, Jones had more targets out the backfield then the #2 WR on the team, so it's safe to say that could be similar again here in this offense.  The team that won the SB, didnt have a single WR eclipse 100 catches, 1,000 yards or 10 TD's.  So, no you dont need 2 1,000 yard receivers to have a great offense. 

I think Lazard ends up being the #2 because of his familiarity w/ the system and the fact Rodgers specifically requested Lazard tells me there is a comfort level that is already established and doesnt need to be developed like there would be w/ Davis.  Heck, he might be even be the preferred target as Rodgers and Wilson start to develop chemistry as well. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

You shared his career arch tho, so I was just commenting on your depiction of his career in GB.

Production is what I shared.  Production is hard.  "Career arc" is soft, and takes in too many irrelevant factors (like where he was or wasn't drafted).  Similar, but not the same IMO.

I think your expectations for a #2 are way off.  It's not common your #2 goes for 1,000 yards and it's certainly not the expectation

Well....lets look and see, maybe I'm wrong.....

2022 Top 10 Passing Offenses, #2 WR's:

1. Kansas City:  JuJu Smith-Schuster, 933/3
2. LA Chargers:  Josh Palmer, 769/3 (one of the "by committee" teams, perhaps the example of your expectations)
3. Tampa Bay:  Chris Godwin, 1,023/3
4. Minnesota: Adam Thielen, 716/6 (Jefferson #1 with 1,809, sucks up all that teams passes)
5. Cincinnati:  Tee Higgins, 1,029/7
6. Detriot:  Kalif Reymond, 616/0 (another "by committee" team with 3x guys between ~500-600 yards and no clean #2).
7. Buffalo:  Gabriel Davis, 836/7
8. Seattle:  Tyler Lockett, 1,033/9
9. Jacksonville:  Zay Jones, 823/5
10. Philly:  DaVonta Smith, 1,196/7
11. Green Bay:  100% by Committee team, with top 2 guys at 788 (Lazard) and 611 (Watson)
12. Miami:  Jaylen Waddle, 1,356/8

So a mixed bag I guess.  Of the top 12 passing O's, 6 had #2's at, near or over 1,000 yards (50%).  Two in the mid-800's.  Four in the 700-800 area, mostly on teams who (as I noted) spread the ball around to a wide group of similar-talent 2nd tier guys behind their #1 WR or (GB/Detroit) really lacked a true elite #1 guy.

So if your argument is that Lazard might have ~800, and Davis might have ~750 and Hardman might have ~500 and Cobb might have ~300, with only Wilson being a likely >1,000 guy, I think that is at least reasonable, I admit.  

I also disagree that if Lazard gives you a similar season the the Jets are in "trouble".

It would depend.  Like  I said, if Lazard 2023 is similar to Lazard 2022, in the 750-800 area, then other WR's/TE/RB would have to be getting alot of passes/yards OR Wilson would have to be ballin' out like a legit elite boss.

Got to get to 4,000+ somehow.  It's just math really.  1,100 for Wilson, some mix of Lazard/Davis/Hardman/Cobb/Hall/TE's Etc. have to get the other ~3,000 yards.

First and foremost, Rodgers has never had 2 WR's go for over 1,000 yards in the same season and look at offenses/numbers/career he's had, so it's not a necessity at all.

I did all the research I'm doing above, so I'll take your word on that. 😄

Second, Hackett's offense uses the RB's in the passing game a ton.  In the back to back MVP seasons for Rodgers, Jones had more targets out the backfield then the #2 WR on the team, so it's safe to say that could be similar again here in this offense.

A fair point, and again speaks to the "spread it around, no real #2 WR, catches by committee" style of offense.

The team that won the SB, didnt have a single WR eclipse 100 catches, 1,000 yards or 10 TD's.  So, no you dont need 2 1,000 yard receivers to have a great offense. 

I'd rather have two reliable elite WR's than a committee of lesser talents personally, but clearly it can work either way.  Guess we'll see.

I think Lazard ends up being the #2 because of his familiarity w/ the system and the fact Rodgers specifically requested Lazard tells me there is a comfort level that is already established and doesnt need to be developed like there would be w/ Davis. 

Davis is the better WR, but can't stay on the field.  As noted, I guess we'll see.

Heck, he might be even be the preferred target as Rodgers and Wilson start to develop chemistry as well. 

That would be disappointing IMO.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think your expectations for a #2 are way off.  It's not common your #2 goes for 1,000 yards and it's certainly not the expectation  Yes, it happens w/ some of the best QB's and WR duos but that's not the norm across the league.   Eagles, Dolphins, Bengals were the only teams w/ 2 receivers over 1,000 yards and Waddle, Higgins, Smith are probably #1's on half the teams in the league.

I also disagree that if Lazard gives you a similar season the the Jets are in "trouble".  First and foremost, Rodgers has never had 2 WR's go for over 1,000 yards in the same season and look at offenses/numbers/career he's had, so it's not a necessity at all.  Second, Hackett's offense uses the RB's in the passing game a ton.  In the back to back MVP seasons for Rodgers, Jones had more targets out the backfield then the #2 WR on the team, so it's safe to say that could be similar again here in this offense.  The team that won the SB, didnt have a single WR eclipse 100 catches, 1,000 yards or 10 TD's.  So, no you dont need 2 1,000 yard receivers to have a great offense. 

I think Lazard ends up being the #2 because of his familiarity w/ the system and the fact Rodgers specifically requested Lazard tells me there is a comfort level that is already established and doesnt need to be developed like there would be w/ Davis.  Heck, he might be even be the preferred target as Rodgers and Wilson start to develop chemistry as well. 

Nonsense.   ChristinWatson was a rookie last year and Rodgers preferred throwing to him over Lazard.  Wilson/Davis are 1/2.  Lazard is a 3.

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Nonsense.   ChristinWatson was a rookie last year and Rodgers preferred throwing to him over Lazard.  Wilson/Davis are 1/2.  Lazard is a 3.

Weird that he preferred throwing to Watson over Lazard yet he targeted Lazard almost double the amount of times than Watson.  

Wilson/Lazard are your 1/2.  Davis is a 3. 

• Thumb Down 1

Weird that he preferred throwing to Watson over Lazard yet he targeted Lazard almost double the amount of times than Watson.  

Wilson/Lazard are your 1/2.  Davis is a 3. 

Christian Watson hit hit stride in mid nov.  Since then, he out targeted Lazard 52 to 49.  Not good that a vet receiver gets overtaken by a rookie from South Dakota State that fast.

Lazard is a 3 here.  Davis is 2.

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Production is what I shared.  Production is hard.  "Career arc" is soft, and takes in too many irrelevant factors (like where he was or wasn't drafted).  Similar, but not the same IMO.

Well....lets look and see, maybe I'm wrong.....

2022 Top 10 Passing Offenses, #2 WR's:

1. Kansas City:  JuJu Smith-Schuster, 933/3
2. LA Chargers:  Josh Palmer, 769/3 (one of the "by committee" teams, perhaps the example of your expectations)
3. Tampa Bay:  Chris Godwin, 1,023/3
4. Minnesota: Adam Thielen, 716/6 (Jefferson #1 with 1,809, sucks up all that teams passes)
5. Cincinnati:  Tee Higgins, 1,029/7
6. Detriot:  Kalif Reymond, 616/0 (another "by committee" team with 3x guys between ~500-600 yards and no clean #2).
7. Buffalo:  Gabriel Davis, 836/7
8. Seattle:  Tyler Lockett, 1,033/9
9. Jacksonville:  Zay Jones, 823/5
10. Philly:  DaVonta Smith, 1,196/7
11. Green Bay:  100% by Committee team, with top 2 guys at 788 (Lazard) and 611 (Watson)
12. Miami:  Jaylen Waddle, 1,356/8

So a mixed bag I guess.  Of the top 12 passing O's, 6 had #2's at, near or over 1,000 yards (50%).  Two in the mid-800's.  Four in the 700-800 area, mostly on teams who (as I noted) spread the ball around to a wide group of similar-talent 2nd tier guys behind their #1 WR or (GB/Detroit) really lacked a true elite #1 guy.

So if your argument is that Lazard might have ~800, and Davis might have ~750 and Hardman might have ~500 and Cobb might have ~300, with only Wilson being a likely >1,000 guy, I think that is at least reasonable, I admit.  

It would depend.  Like  I said, if Lazard 2023 is similar to Lazard 2022, in the 750-800 area, then other WR's/TE/RB would have to be getting alot of passes/yards OR Wilson would have to be ballin' out like a legit elite boss.

Got to get to 4,000+ somehow.  It's just math really.  1,100 for Wilson, some mix of Lazard/Davis/Hardman/Cobb/Hall/TE's Etc. have to get the other ~3,000 yards.

I did all the research I'm doing above, so I'll take your word on that. 😄

A fair point, and again speaks to the "spread it around, no real #2 WR, catches by committee" style of offense.

I'd rather have two reliable elite WR's than a committee of lesser talents personally, but clearly it can work either way.  Guess we'll see.

Davis is the better WR, but can't stay on the field.  As noted, I guess we'll see.

That would be disappointing IMO.

Not sure how I forgot about Seattle and Tampa having 2 WR's going over 1,000 w/ the studs they have, so a little more then I thought but still from a necessity.  

My prediction?  Lazard has a 70, 800, 6 type of season, which is great because I do think the RB's will be heavily involved, as well as Conklin.  This is deep WR core, IMO.  Deepest Rodgers has ever had.  Should be interesting to see who emerges, my money is Lazard but wouldnt be shocked for Corey Davis to have a big bounce back year too.  I'm just banking on QB and system familiarity along w/ the continued year over year progression. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Christian Watson hit hit stride in mid nov.  Since then, he out targeted Lazard 52 to 49.  Not good that a vet receiver gets overtaken by a rookie from South Dakota State that fast.

Lazard is a 3 here.  Davis is 2.

Sir, you know this stuff is readily available, right?

Lazard had 59 targets from Nov to the end of the season.  Watson had 57.  So there were zero stretches during the season in which Rodgers prefer Watson.