r Lazard, Carter II underrated ?

jtomm

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Fine, I agree, probably best to just look at the last 4 games of the season where they were both targeted equally. 

45 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The good news is we will not have to wait much longer to see how this is going to play out.  Camp is this week!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm.  JiF vs Joe W, the guy who said Zach "100 %" had a torn ACL and the Jets had "no interest' in Rodgers.

Wonder who my money is on.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

This.

I'd argue that several Jets players right now are over-rated by the Jets Fanbase.  We have a tendency (as do most fanbases tbf) to elevate JAG's and replacement-level talent into supposed wanna-be Super Stars-in-the-making.

Fans gonna Fan.

Lazard has played with Rodgers for the Packers with Aaron Rodgers for 5 full seasons, a team that consistently was criticized for "not having enough WR talent" to support Rodgers.  In that time he never broke 700 yards receiving till last year.  Prior to that he was a 400-500 type guy. 

He's a support piece, he's not a star in any way, shape or form.  If Wilson is a stud again, and if Corey Davis plays like the Corey Davis of 2020 instead of the Corey Davis of 2021, Lazard could have a pretty nice year as the #3 WR.  More so if Breece Hall is Breece-Hall-pre-injury when he returns.

So no, I don't think Lazard is underrated at all.  I think Fans who think Lazard will be the #2, catch for over 1,000 yards or score 10 TD's+ this year are simply high on fandom and not living in the real world.

But the best part....is that Lazard will get every opportunity to prove me wrong.

Has anyone on this board really suggested Lazard will go over 1k yards and 10 TDs?

Respectfully, I’ve heard most evaluations here range from a lukewarm meh to a good third WR to as high as a good 2nd WR.  

The reason many, including myself, are high on these Jets is because we finally have some elite or near elite talent and outside Aaron Rodgers, they are all young and ‘should’ only get better.

Sauce, Garrett, and Breece are 22.

AVT and Carter II are 24.

Quinnen is 25.

DJ Reed is 26.

A young core that consists of 2 1st team All Pros, a true #1 WR we almost never have, one of the best #2 and slot corners in football, and 2 guys (rookie & 2nd year) whose injuries last year prematurely ended what was looking like Pro Bowl campaigns.  Breece Hall led the league in average yards per rush behind the Jets injury ravaged OL.

Reasons for optimism.  Nobody is saying Allen Lazard is a stud.  But he can help in the red zone, stay healthy and block as starters.  

• Sympathy 1

I don't know how the majority of people elsewhere think about Lazard, so that assessment may be true, but around here he is definitely overrated.  Let's not forget, he was supposed to be GB's #1 WR last year and definitely didn't perform at that level, while GB's WR corps was widely criticized for its performance without Adams.  I never understood the swooning around here when he was signed, other than perhaps the hope it increased the odds of Rodgers' arrival.

Of course, based on last year's situation, it's possible others elsewhere think very little of him, which could be the reason for considering him underrated.  In the end though, he's still a #2 at best, who Davis is actually a better player than health permitting (which of course isn't often).  It's also just a little odd seeing him on that list with those he's surrounded by, considering the other 3 WRs named are wildly better than Lazard and everyone but perhaps Rodgers would trade him for any of them in a heartbeat.

MC2 on the other hand I agree with, as because of the exceptional and highly publicized season that Sauce had, neither him nor Reed got the full credit they deserved for their play, even if both were still very well regarded.  In the end, other than Quinnen, it was really the CB trio that mostly carried that defense to their performance level last year.

On 7/17/2023 at 10:03 PM, Bleedin Green said:

I don't know how the majority of people elsewhere think about Lazard, so that assessment may be true, but around here he is definitely overrated.  Let's not forget, he was supposed to be GB's #1 WR last year and definitely didn't perform at that level, while GB's WR corps was widely criticized for its performance without Adams.  I never understood the swooning around here when he was signed, other than perhaps the hope it increased the odds of Rodgers' arrival.

Of course, based on last year's situation, it's possible others elsewhere think very little of him, which could be the reason for considering him underrated.  In the end though, he's still a #2 at best, who Davis is actually a better player than health permitting (which of course isn't often).  It's also just a little odd seeing him on that list with those he's surrounded by, considering the other 3 WRs named are wildly better than Lazard and everyone but perhaps Rodgers would trade him for any of them in a heartbeat.

MC2 on the other hand I agree with, as because of the exceptional and highly publicized season that Sauce had, neither him nor Reed got the full credit they deserved for their play, even if both were still very well regarded.  In the end, other than Quinnen, it was really the CB trio that mostly carried that defense to their performance level last year.

..with aaron,.. he's gonna most probably be productive  😎