I just read on Bleacher Report of how one NFL scout said that "everyone is afraid to say he's declined a little":, speaking of Aaron Rodgers

Alka

He also played with a finger injury most of last year. He may never win an MVP again but he is still top 10 and that my friends is a major upgrade over the worst in league QB play that we have been forced to watch for a decade. Rodgers is going to have this offense running like an efficient well oiled machine. It will be unrecognizable from clown show AKA Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 3

yeah everyone but me 

;)

the catch is he's really ranked 8-12 but the Jets are paying him like he's number one (and traded a 1st round pick too)

they overpaid - it's that simple - and that overpay is going to have some sort of negative effect down the line 

• Thumb Down 7
  • Ugh 2
  • More Ugh 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

sh*t.  Aaron Rodgers isn't a top 3 QB in the NFL anymore.  He might only be top 8.  We are ****ed.

Top 8? Hell, I'll take that! It means he's better than at least 2 of these guys:

Mahomes, Lamar, Herbert, Burrow, Allen, Lawrence, Dak, Hurts, Cousins.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, RevisIsland610 said:

So what if he may not win the MVP again. How many top 10 rated QB's have the Jets had in the last half century? 

Oh I don't disagree.  He'll be better than what we've had in a long time.  He's going to have a good year and the Jets will be very competitive this year.

But this is a thread about people being unwilling to say out loud or accept - what's obvious to anyone being fair.  Aaron Rodgers showed serious concerns of decline last year...

But JN has their head in the sand and putting it on a sore thumb.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Top 8? Hell, I'll take that! It means he's better than at least 2 of these guys:

Mahomes, Lamar, Herbert, Burrow, Allen, Lawrence, Dak, Hurts, Cousins.

Fine, I'll bite. HeRe aRe mY tOp Qb rAnKiNGs

1. Mahomes
  2. Burrow
  3. Hurts
  4. Allen
  5. Herbert
  6. Rodgers
  7. Goff
  8. Lamar
  9. Lawrence
  10. Prescott

I would note that Watson and even Russell Wilson could quickly catapult to the middle of that list if they get their sh*t together this year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

1. Mahomes
  2. Burrow
  3. Hurts
  4. Allen
  5. Herbert
  6. Rodgers
  7. Goff
  8. Lamar
  9. Lawrence
  10. Prescott

I would note that Watson and even Russell Wilson could quickly catapult to the middle of that list if they get their sh*t together this year.

If he plays at that level - closer to 5 than 7...

The Jets will be in the mix all year.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Oh I don't disagree.  He'll be better than what we've had in a long time.  He's going to have a good year and the Jets will be very competitive this year.

But this is a thread about people being unwilling to say out loud or accept - what's obvious to anyone being fair.  Aaron Rodgers showed serious concerns of decline last year...

But JN has their head in the sand and putting it on a sore thumb.

How do you know the injury didn't affect his throwing? His numbers last year were still better than what Jet QB's have put up since Joe Namath. When was the last time a Jet QB put up 26/12 65% completion numbers? 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

They'll be in the mix as long as he remains upright and his play is anywhere in that top 10

Top 10 doesn't do it.  With this brutal division and schedule...You're going to need to better to really be thinking championship.

Sure, I suspect they'll be in the mix to get into the playoffs - but to watch them and truly believe they can make a Championship run - it'll require Rodgers playing far close to top 5 than top 10.

2 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

His numbers last year were still better than what Jet QB's have put up since Joe Namath. When was the last time a Jet QB put up 26/12 65% completion numbers?

Why do people keep saying this?

If you said to me - will Rodgers have one of the best years in NY Jets QB history - I will agree.

But that's really not saying much - I'm talking about making a legitimate run at a Super Bowl.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

1. Mahomes
  2. Burrow
  3. Hurts
  4. Allen
  5. Herbert
  6. Rodgers
  7. Goff
  8. Lamar
  9. Lawrence
  10. Prescott

We were in the playoff hunt until November last year with the worst QB situation in the NFL. I’m fine to take my chances with a “mere” top 10 guy.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

I would have gotten tough with Green Bay, told them the contract was ridiculous and they have to eat 50% of the contract and SEND ME a first round pick to take an old QB 

@FidelioJet

I would’ve also thrown in Zach Wilson, made GB eat that contract and give us Christian Watson, as well.

Hire me Woody!

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm talking about making a legitimate run at a Super Bowl.

So in which scenario do we have the higher chance of "making a run at a Super Bowl" the next two season?

Scenario A:  Stick with Zach Wilson.

Scenario B:  Trade for Aaron Rodgers.

I will await your reply.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

More than one thing can be true at the same time.

1. He did have a thumb injury last year which affected his performance and has since healed.

2. He's almost surely in decline to some degree, age 40.

Both true, both factors.

Again, the point that seems to go ignored is this:

In 2021/2022 the Jets fielded the worst QB in the league.  Ranked 32nd or worse in pretty much every metric that matters.  Horrible in almost every way, a massive, historic bust.

In 2023 the Jets will field a future HOF QB who, despite his injury/age/decline, was still 11th in passing yards, 7th in passing TD's, 15th in QB Rating, etc.  And who, it hasn't changed, is two years removed from back to back league MVP's.

We improved greatly, even IF Rodgers is "in decline".  Improved.  Greatly.

Not sure why that generates so much hand-wringing in some circles.  We got the best possible improvement at the biggest position of need that was available this offseason, period, end stop.  Will it work out?  Who knows, I have my doubts too.  But it's the best improvement we could have made if our intent is to compete and win games. 

Maybe that should be enough for now, till we start seeing these guys actually play?

I agree with all of this.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So in which scenario do we have the higher chance of "making a run at a Super Bowl" the next two season?

I will await your reply.

Scenario C: Write on the Internet that “I would’ve gotten Rodgers for much cheaper.”

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I will await your reply.

It's a silly question.

Especially considering I've written this dozens of times at this point.

I like having Rodgers on the team.  I think Rodgers will be good on the team.  I think this offense will be the best we've had in a very long time...I think the Jets will go to the playoffs and my best guess is they win a playoff game.

But I think the offense has too many holes to be considered championship caliber and I believe JD knows this and has chosen not to take the steps necessary to get it there.

That is all I've been saying. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Top 10 doesn't do it.  With this brutal division and schedule...You're going to need to better to really be thinking championship.

Sure, I suspect they'll be in the mix to get into the playoffs - but to watch them and truly believe they can make a Championship run - it'll require Rodgers playing far close to top 5 than top 10.

Yet according to you, we would have done much better in '23 without the Rodgers trade.  I'm sure Zach WIlson was going to play up to the #5 you mentioned.  And don't even whisper that Carr could make top 5.  Carr is a competent starting QB but not a winning one. smh