Will Zach Wilson Be On The Roster In 2025 ?

Will Zach Wilson Be On The Roster In 2025 ?   

64 members have voted

1. 1. Will Zach Wilson Be On The Roster In 2025 ?

7 minutes ago, jbt said:

I can't see them resigning him in 2025 after he is cut this summer

not sure how that would work out with the money/cap.  from what I can see, they would be better off keeping his contract through 2024 with him on the practice squad. 

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i'm voting yes because I don't know how we ever get rid of this dude

he shouldn't be on the roster right now 

No team will trade for him with his contract and unless he's sowing disharmony and discord as the backup QB, there's no real benefit to cutting him and in fact it hurts the Jets by accelerating the remaining portion of his guaranteed salary to the current year.

I don't think anyone in the building "still believes he will be a good QB," or whatever they are saying publicly there's just nothing else they can say about a guy they are stuck with for a few more years.

• Upvote 2

My guess is no.

I think we get 2 years out of Rodgers. So next summer we have to decide on Wilson's 5th year option and assuming he doesn't play at all this season or very little. I cant see us picking it up. Meaning next year will be his last year with us under contract. And assuming again he doesn't play at all or very little in 2024... I cant see us signing him to an extension. I think it's obvious that we wouldn't tag him. So I think our best bet is to draft a developmental guy this next draft in Round 3 or 4. Let them sit and learn next year and hope they can start in 2025.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What’s the official narrative on Wilson now? Will be interesting if the Jets allow him to play much this preseason. 

I think he may get a good deal of playing time in the preseason.  No way is Rodgers going to play more than a few series

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I think he may get a good deal of playing time in the preseason.  No way is Rodgers going to play more than a few series

I don’t think Rodgers plays much. The Jets mostly shielded Wislon from the preseason his rookie year and was hurt last year. Im hopeful they let him play a lot this year, but Im doubtful. 

• Upvote 2

Even if ZW turns it around and looks serviceable, I can't see him being here past his guaranteed money unless he just completely breaks out and looks like a starter when Rodgers departs. If he looks ok in the preseason this year or next, I assume Douglas would want to flip him in a trade if an offer presents itself. Unless he has a massive turnaround this year I just couldn't see any reason Douglas would want to take the fifth year option. Let him go off as a FA and try to get a comp pick out of it.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

unless he's sowing disharmony and discord as the backup QB, there's no real benefit to cutting him  

"do you feel like you let the Defense down? No no"

"make the QB's life a living hell" 

Zach Wilson is the biggest locker room cancer/distraction in football 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4

I voted no. The video the jets posted of his slick pass in minicamp actually revealed horrendous footwork. In practice.  With no defense. In shorts. 

there’s just a disconnect in his brain once he gets the ball. Think bad things bad 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Oh I’m not defending him and if he doesn’t STFU and focus on his craft this year, I’m all for eating the financial pain and launching him into the Sun. I’m actually more worried about him being a concussion away from the field than him being in the locker room. Wish he was QB3.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

I voted no. The video the jets posted of his slick pass in minicamp actually revealed horrendous footwork. In practice.  With no defense. In shorts. 

there’s just a disconnect in his brain once he gets the ball. Think bad things bad 

Taking away the guys who fail for personal demons — addiction, lifestyle, off the field problems — I’d venture 90% of first round bust QBs busted due to slow processing.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Taking away the guys who fail for personal demons — addiction, lifestyle, off the field problems — I’d venture 90% of first round bust QBs busted due to slow processing.

Dedication. Wilson doesn’t seem to have it. Be interesting to see what he did this off-season. 

Just now, Matt39 said:

Dedication. Wilson doesn’t seem to have it. Be interesting to see what he did this off-season. 

I can’t say his dedication is above or below the mean; just don’t think he has the mental makeup to process the field and defenses at pro speed.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Boyle and Streveler 

I was going to add their names to my last sentence, but come on. Let’s be real.

Trust me, I want Wilson as far away from the Jets as possible, but if either of those two get even half the snaps Wilson does in the preseason, wtf are we even doing by keeping him on the roster?

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I can’t say his dedication is above or below the mean; just don’t think he has the mental makeup to process the field and defenses at pro speed.

Yeah I’m not a believer that everything processing wise is purely innate. You have to be obsessed with football. 

Just now, Green Ghost said:

I was going to add their names to my last sentence, but come on. Let’s be real.

Trust me, I want Wilson as far away from the Jets as possible, but if either of those two get even half the snaps Wilson does in the preseason, wtf are they even doing? 

Has anything with Zach Wilson made sense? Maybe I’m wrong and he plays a ton this preseason but I am under the impression they are eyeing a soft landing in getting him off the roster. Maybe Wilson took the off-season seriously and is serious about getting his career in line but is there anything that indicates that?

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Lol, make the QBs life miserable while smiling is exactly what he should have said.  Thinking that he’s a cancer is bad enough but hanging onto that comment as proof is lame

• Upvote 1