Slot Corner

jtomm

Michael Carter II Starting to Make a Name for Himself as Jets' Slot Corner

Sauce Gardner: 'We Always Tip Our Cap to Mike'; Aaron Rodgers: 'He's a Pretty Damn Good Player'

Jul 22, 2023  - Randy Lange

The past several months it's been a lot of Jets players speaking glowingly about a lot of other Jets players. Everybody in green and white loves what Aaron Rodgers has been bringing to the table, of course. It's the same with Rookies of the Year Sauce Gardner and Garrett Wilson as well as Quinnen Williams, C.J. Mosley and D.J. Reed.You might make soom room at that training table for Michael Carter II. The Jets' nickel is starting to hear about his play and his impact from some of those big names mentioned above.

"I appreciate them for saying that," Carter said after Saturday's third practice of training camp, also the Jets' first in front of many of their fans in the expanded stands at the Atlantic Health Training Center. "Everyone's got a job to do. I just try to be consistent, make sure I'm on my details, and make everybody else's job a little easier and vice versa."

Rodgers perhaps started the MCII ball rolling back in June when he reflected on the Packers' preparation for the Jets pass defense before the 2022 meeting at Green Bay."I remember last year, we felt like we wanted to get after MC," Rodgers said. "And then after the game, I think everybody was like, 'He's a pretty damn good player.' But also a good person."

Then after Friday's practice, cornermate Gardner gave a great scouting report.

"I feel like he doesn't get that much credit," Gardner said. "When I'm sitting in the meeting room and hearing Coach TO [CBs coach Tony Oden] talks to Mike about all he's got to do, it makes me not only respect the nickel position in general but respect Michael Carter. I feel like me and D.J., we do our thing, we're what people see from the outside looking in. But Michael, what he does is not easy but he makes it look easy. We always tip our hat to Mike.""It definitely means a lot, man, because Sauce and D.J. make my job easier," Carter said. "They can say it's super hard, which, I mean, it's tough, but everybody has a tough job down in, down out."

So then why has Carter been flying under the radar his first two Jets seasons? Perhaps because he's at a position that some NFL watchers say is the most undervalued in football, and so his numbers don't jump out. For starters, while Gardner and Reed each played more than 1,100 defensive snaps last season, Carter was on the field for 732 snaps.He got his first two pro interceptions last season and jumped his passes defensed from five as a rookie to nine. His tackling dipped, from 72 to 63, yet he still teamed with his two outside admirers to give the Jets one of the best run-support corner positions in the NFL.But the hard work was hardly over this offseason.

"I really self-scouted to see where my weaknesses were, whether it was DB training, working on press or zone, or breaking down film on different receivers," he said, adding about bumping his weight up from last year's 184 pounds to 193 as of Saturday morning, "As far as the weight room, I was getting stronger. I'm heavier but still lean and all that stuff to be able to be more physical and take on those blocks on the perimeter."Carter wouldn't mind graduating from being one of the Jets' unsung heroes to being named a Pro Bowler and an All-Pro, but first things first.

"At the end of the day, I'll just let the work speak for itself," he said. "Kenny Moore, Mike Hilton, K'Waun Williams, those types of [slot corners], I want to be in that conversation, too. I feel like the work I put in this offseason, it was all geared to wanting to be the best nickel in the league this season and going forward."Robert Saleh is fine if opponents continue to overlook No. 30 in the Jets slot because the HC knows the value of his nickel.

"Michael's underappreciated because he doesn't have the splash name, he doesn't make the splash plays," Saleh said. "But if you go back and watch, you're like, 'Damn, he's pretty good.' He's learning the nuances, he's getting better, he's physical, he's smart, he communicates really well and he's fearless. So we're really excited about having him."

>>  https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/michael-carter-ii-starting-to-make-a-name-for-himself-as-jets-slot-corner

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We better be ready for teams to attack our safeties and LBs because our 3 CBS are all total shut down.

I hope the Jets play man to man against Raiders receivers.  I take them matchups all day .  Devante Adams versus S Gardner  . Jakob I Meyers versus Dj Reed. Hunter Renfrow versus M Carter . 
You will disagree rightful so, but we will see when two teams ply in week 10.

• Ugh 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

I hope the Jets play man to man against Raiders receivers.  I take them matchups all day .  Devante Adams versus S Gardner  . Jakob I Meyers versus Dj Reed. Hunter Renfrow versus M Carter . 

You're a hoot man. Always entertaining.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

That would simply be a mistake, playing into the jets strength, that being CBs and Dline.  A smart team will be attacking the safeties and linebackers all day long.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

Sauce, Reed and MC2 are all Top 20 CBs in the NFL. And MC2 is in the Top 2 or 3 of slots. Our CBs are even better than the Revis/Cro days

Lock him up early with a manageable contract. He’s an ascendant player. Get him locked before he’s the best slot CB and hitting FA

By Ryan Dunleavy - July 24, 2023

Perhaps the first clue of what lied in store for Michael Carter II with the Jets came when he was the second Michael Carter drafted by the team on the same day and thus distinguished by Roman numerals.No longer easily confused with Jets teammate Michael Carter — a running back — Carter II instead operates in the shadows of Sauce Gardner and D.J. Reed.Gardner-Reed arguably is the NFL’s best cornerback duo, but Gardner-Reed-Carter II has an even stronger case as the league’s best trio — and the other two frequently remind Carter II that his unheralded work in the slot is a big reason why.

“Sauce and D.J. make my job easier,” Carter II said. “They can say it’s super hard — and it’s tough — but everybody has a job to do.”

Carter II’s quiet breakout 2022 season rated higher than established slot corners K’Waun Williams (Broncos), Kenny Moore (Colts) and Mike Hilton (Bengals) — three players to whom he would like to be compared — by Pro Football Focus.The Jets were the only team with three of PFF’s top-25 ranked cornerbacks: Gardner (No. 1), Carter II (No. 18) and Reed (No. 23).

“I still haven’t accomplished what I want to accomplish,” Carter II said. “I want to be a Pro Bowler and an All-Pro and really be considered widely as ‘that guy’ at the nickel spot. The work I put in this offseason was all geared to, ‘I want to be the best nickel in the league this season and going forward.’ My whole mindset was that.”And so Carter II worked on his man-to-man and zone techniques, broke down film on receivers and bulked up from 184 pounds last season to 193 with the idea of taking on run blocks in the box.

Cornerbacks coach Tony Oden described Carter II as “one of the keys to unlock our defense” because of his game-plan versatility and said his trajectory “arrow is up, for sure.”“I feel like he doesn’t get that much credit,” Gardner said. “When I’m sitting in the meeting room and hearing Coach T.O. talk to Mike about all he’s got to do, it makes me not only respect the nickel position in general but respect Michael Carter. What he does is not easy, but he makes it look easy.”One of the first to take notice of Carter II’s ability was his new teammate Aaron Rodgers, who revealed the Packers’ game plan to avoid Gardner and Reed in a Week 6 matchup last season.

Rodgers completed just 5 of 9 passes for 30 yards when targeting Carter II in a Packers’ loss to the Jets.“I felt like we wanted to get after M.C.,” Rodgers recalled in June, “and then after the game I think everybody was like, ‘He’s a pretty damn good player.’ ”

Gardner or Reed typically draws the opponent’s best receiver, but Carter II has more on his plate than just figuring out if a speedy target is going to break inside or outside on the snap.“Within this defense, communication is paramount,” he said. “When things move, I’m really the one talking through everything. Especially if we are in man and [making] different adjustments, I’m the one communicating that stuff. Those guys are giving me what they are seeing on the outside, too, but I have the final say-so in a lot of things that happen in coverage.”It’s a big responsibility for a third-year player drafted in the fifth round with just two interceptions, two fumble recoveries, one sack and 14 passes defended to show in the box score for his first 32 career games.But head coach Robert Saleh described Carter II as physical, smart in learning the defense’s nuances and fearless.

“Michael is probably underappreciated because he doesn’t have the splash name, he doesn’t make the splash plays, but if you go back and watch, you’re like, ‘Damn, that guy is pretty freaking good,’ ” Saleh said, echoing Rodgers. “And he’s only going to get better.”

>>  https://nypost.com/2023/07/24/michael-carter-ii-could-unlock-jets-d-in-breakout-encore/

• Upvote 2

Former New York Jets cornerback Isaiah Dunn was first poached by the Seattle Seahawks in September of 2022.That loss came after the Jets kept Dunn — a priority undrafted free agent out of Oregon State — for his entire rookie campaign. He was later released by the Seahawks last week on July 25.Six days after, Dunn was back in Florham Park working out with Gang Green according to the NFL transaction wire and insider Aaron Wilson. Fans quickly began to theorize why.

Could an Isaiah Dunn, Jets Reunion Spell the End of Bryce Hall in NY?

Just after the news, the popular “Buffalo Jet Fan” voiced the following:

Jets giving CB Isaiah Dunn a workout. The 24-year-old defensive back played 12 games with the Jets in ’21. Was used as a [special teams] player in Seattle last year. Bryce Hall set to make $3M. Jets might prefer a vet min/ udfa guy there at 1/3 the cost who can play specials.”It’s not a bad thought from the NYJ content creator, and it might even be accurate.

Let’s layout the facts of the situation.

Hall is set to make approximately $2.822 million in 2023 according to Over the Cap. The Jets can save exactly $2.743 million of that amount by cutting or trading the fourth-year CB.

Two, primary backup cornerback Brandin Echols is suspended to start the season. He’ll miss Week 1, meaning the Jets will need a reserve that they can rely on against the division rival Buffalo Bills — just in case of injury.

That could easily be Hall, but it would cost the Jets more money to commit.Instead, someone like Dunn might change their mind. After all, the youngster was in competition with Hall in years past and the same could happen this summer.

Another option would be Javelin Guidry, a fellow former Jets UDFA that re-signed this offseason. Veteran Jimmy Moreland and current undrafted rookie Derrick Langford are also in the mix, and the Dunn workout just further confirms that general manager Joe Douglas is going to make Hall earn that CB4 role behind Echols in 2023 — assuming he’s able to win the job.

Jets Cornerback Notes From Training Camp

Sauce Gardner, D.J. Reed Jr. and Michael Carter II have looked stout this summer, but the Jets have not been as strong behind their top trio of cornerbacks.Echols has been beat by the long ball at times, while Hall has had his ups and downs too. The unlikely star has been Moreland.

Associated Press reporter Dennis Waszak Jr. relayed Moreland’s second pick six of training camp on July 31. “Jimmy Moreland with a nice play,” he informed, “took a pass from Chris Streveler right out of rookie Zack Kuntz’s hands and took off for a TD.”On July 27, Waszak reported on the initial “would-be” Moreland interception for a touchdown — which came off Tim Boyle this time.

Moreland hasn’t truly been matched up against top talent so far in camp, but he’s been impressive, nonetheless. Another bright spot has been Langford — the latest UDFA to hit this defense.Jets X-Factor’s Robby Sabo detailed a pass deflection from the rookie on July 22, noting that it took a “tremendous break” on the ball. In the same vein, Waszak has labeled the prospect as a player that fans should be keeping their “eye on” after a couple of different performances of camp.

Whether Dunn becomes a part of it or not, this should be a fun battle to watch going forward.

>>  https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/news-isaiah-dunn-work-out-seahawks/

On 7/22/2023 at 2:15 PM, Beerfish said:

We better be ready for teams to attack our safeties and LBs because our 3 CBS are all total shut down.

Yes but if Adams can transition to free safety like he has been in camp our secondary could be an all timer. Sabo at X-Factor do an analysis a combination of the best metrics and Sauce, Reed and MC2 were all Top 20, and Sauce 1st and Reed 10th. That is just crazy

On 7/23/2023 at 12:36 AM, Maxman said:

We will certainly see, but we won't know if you saw it because after the Jets win you won't be anywhere to be found unfortunately.

Jets win or lose I will be here after that game . Take that to the bank.   We will see how good that Jet Cb trio is because Raider Wr are  not afraid of any of those cbs.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Jets win or lose I will be here after that game . Take that to the bank.   We will see how good that Jet Cb trio is because Raider Wr are  not afraid of any of those cbs.

Even a broken clock is right more often than your homer ass.  

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

MAYBE if you had Mahomes throwing the football, those WR's could do something. As it stands, nobody but a homer like you would take the WR's over the Jets shutdown corners with Jimmy G throwing them the football. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

MAYBE if you had Mahomes throwing the football, those WR's could do something. As it stands, nobody but a homer like you would take the WR's over the Jets shutdown corners with Jimmy G throwing them the football. 

Jimmy G is efficient when healthy. That’s a big ass caveat!

On 8/1/2023 at 10:21 AM, jtomm said:

Former New York Jets cornerback Isaiah Dunn was first poached by the Seattle Seahawks in September of 2022.That loss came after the Jets kept Dunn — a priority undrafted free agent out of Oregon State — for his entire rookie campaign. He was later released by the Seahawks last week on July 25.Six days after, Dunn was back in Florham Park working out with Gang Green according to the NFL transaction wire and insider Aaron Wilson. Fans quickly began to theorize why.

Could an Isaiah Dunn, Jets Reunion Spell the End of Bryce Hall in NY?

Just after the news, the popular “Buffalo Jet Fan” voiced the following:

Jets giving CB Isaiah Dunn a workout. The 24-year-old defensive back played 12 games with the Jets in ’21. Was used as a [special teams] player in Seattle last year. Bryce Hall set to make $3M. Jets might prefer a vet min/ udfa guy there at 1/3 the cost who can play specials.”It’s not a bad thought from the NYJ content creator, and it might even be accurate.

Let’s layout the facts of the situation.

Hall is set to make approximately $2.822 million in 2023 according to Over the Cap. The Jets can save exactly $2.743 million of that amount by cutting or trading the fourth-year CB.

Two, primary backup cornerback Brandin Echols is suspended to start the season. He’ll miss Week 1, meaning the Jets will need a reserve that they can rely on against the division rival Buffalo Bills — just in case of injury.

That could easily be Hall, but it would cost the Jets more money to commit.Instead, someone like Dunn might change their mind. After all, the youngster was in competition with Hall in years past and the same could happen this summer.

Another option would be Javelin Guidry, a fellow former Jets UDFA that re-signed this offseason. Veteran Jimmy Moreland and current undrafted rookie Derrick Langford are also in the mix, and the Dunn workout just further confirms that general manager Joe Douglas is going to make Hall earn that CB4 role behind Echols in 2023 — assuming he’s able to win the job.

Jets Cornerback Notes From Training Camp

Sauce Gardner, D.J. Reed Jr. and Michael Carter II have looked stout this summer, but the Jets have not been as strong behind their top trio of cornerbacks.Echols has been beat by the long ball at times, while Hall has had his ups and downs too. The unlikely star has been Moreland.

Associated Press reporter Dennis Waszak Jr. relayed Moreland’s second pick six of training camp on July 31. “Jimmy Moreland with a nice play,” he informed, “took a pass from Chris Streveler right out of rookie Zack Kuntz’s hands and took off for a TD.”On July 27, Waszak reported on the initial “would-be” Moreland interception for a touchdown — which came off Tim Boyle this time.

Moreland hasn’t truly been matched up against top talent so far in camp, but he’s been impressive, nonetheless. Another bright spot has been Langford — the latest UDFA to hit this defense.Jets X-Factor’s Robby Sabo detailed a pass deflection from the rookie on July 22, noting that it took a “tremendous break” on the ball. In the same vein, Waszak has labeled the prospect as a player that fans should be keeping their “eye on” after a couple of different performances of camp.

Whether Dunn becomes a part of it or not, this should be a fun battle to watch going forward.

>>  https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/news-isaiah-dunn-work-out-seahawks/

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL

#Steelers signed Isaiah Dunn and Trenton Thompson, placed Cory Trice on IR, waived-injured Alfonzo Graham