Mims: "Vibes here are a lot better"

Bronx

On one hand, Mims wasn't getting any targets here, but on the other, I can't imagine Randall Cobb being a better player than Denzel Mims, at this point in Cobb's career.

Neither man is playing special teams so they went with the age before beauty. 

It's a mixed bag. Kind of like it's good that JD got value for this failed pick but it's bad that JD made the pick in the first place. Ditto Becton trade if it happens. 

• Upvote 1

the poor guy was drafted by Adam Gase for his system.  Gase was gone after one year and his skill set was not valued by Lafleur who by all indication was very rigid .  He also got food poisoned at the Jets facility and lost a lot of weight that hurt him with the new regime.  As a result of all this i would think for him personally the vibes anywhere far away from Florham Park would have to be better.  Wishing him luck.    

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

The Jets never gave him a chance. Every starting WR ahead of him on the depth chart got injured in 2021, but he never got a chance. They really wanted to feature Jeff Smith, Keelan Cole, Braxton Berrios, etc. over a cheap + recent 2nd round pick with prototypical size/speed.

It was actually an irrational conspiracy against him. Poor guy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

IMHO Mims has blown any cache or credibility he had by opening his mouth now. How's about catching 1 practice pass for the Lions, or going out and doing something to justify your being a 2nd round NFL Draft pick before blaming "vibes"? Honorable mention goes to Saleh for Mims' failures here as well. Saleh's ego is bigger than his head even, and never liked Mims from the get go. Not a reason to mistreat a player, but whatever. He'd better win this year with this team or else we will all be calling for his head, justifiably so, but that is a topic for another day.

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

I hope he lights it up. LaFleur and Saleh did not like Mims personally and they treated him that way so totally get the vibes comment. 

Because he didn’t put in the effort and showed zero enthusiasm. No one wants to deal with a mope.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Falco21 said:

Two responses to this:

1. I HIGHLY doubt the "vibes are a lot better". This Jets offseason is the single most impressive and exciting offseason I have ever witnessed. The practice tickets sold out in minutes and the entire place was packed the last few days. I do not think it is physically possible for the vibes to get better in an offseason.

2. Mims had plenty of chances to learn the playbook and perform in the offense. Yes, Zach Wilson at QB and our previous offensive coordinator did have something to do with the lack of production, but to blame it entirely on those two external forces would be ridiculous.

I am happy he is getting another shot somewhere else. I really wanted it to work out with him. 

you are of course right, but what else is he supposed to say. 

I can guaruntee you he dont know the whole play book that is for sure. I hope the best for him, it is very interesting to me to see how he does. Det is an up and coming team coming off a good year. My money is on him having the same impact there as he did here, entirely missable by the coaching staff and fans.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Actually, Cobb was better in each of the last 3 years in catches, yardage, TDs, catch percentage, yards per target.  Cobbs worst career year is better than Mims best,  Mims played 3 ST snaps in his career.  Cobb has 274 and has returned kicks and punts in the last four years.  Mims is better at being young, tall and fast.

oh man stats hit em with some stats!!! nice

I'm 10x more worried that Elijah Moore becomes a stud than Denzel Mims.  But his bad attitude necessitated the trade to Cleveland which means JD needs to do a better job during the pre-draft vetting process.    

In fact, where JD has whiffed big time (Becton so far, Mims, Wilson so far, Moore), it's been more because of a failure to appreciate or fully bake in the mental part of the equation.  Not for a lack of physical talent.

1. Wilson might have developed the YIPs, a mental wall that stymied his ability to process & execute even the most simple throws.  In retrospect, should have at least sat a year and been paired with a more flexible OC

2. Mims had trouble with the playbook and (later) sh*tting the bed anytime he stepped onto the field (mental lapses that included dumb penalties).  In retrospect, never should have been drafted.  Didn't know how to play WR outside of running by college players who were considerably less physically gifted

3. Becton was hopelessly immature, sensitive & entitled.  Boom or bust prospect, which was cited pre draft

4. Moore was a me first prima donna.  Talented player but culture killer we needed to get rid of at a big discount

Major lessons learned.   

• Upvote 1

My fondest hope for Mims is that he waits until after making the Lions 53-man roster to self-destruct.  An upgrade from a 7th-round pick to a 6th isn't much, but it's not nothing.

These quotes don't do much to bolster my optimism.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I'm 10x more worried that Elijah Moore becomes a stud than Denzel Mims.  But his bad attitude necessitated the trade to Cleveland which means JD needs to do a better job during the pre-draft vetting process.    

In fact, where JD has whiffed big time (Becton so far, Mims, Wilson so far, Moore), it's been more because of a failure to appreciate or fully bake in the mental part of the equation.  Not for a lack of physical talent.

1. Wilson might have developed the YIPs, a mental wall that stymied his ability to process & execute even the most simple throws.  In retrospect, should have at least sat a year and been paired with a more flexible OC

2. Mims had trouble with the playbook and (later) sh*tting the bed anytime he stepped onto the field (mental lapses that included dumb penalties).  In retrospect, never should have been drafted.  Didn't know how to play WR outside of running by college players who were considerably less physically gifted

3. Becton was hopelessly immature, sensitive & entitled.  Boom or bust prospect, which was cited pre draft

4. Moore was a me first prima donna.  Talented player but culture killer we needed to get rid of at a big discount

Major lessons learned.   

No reason to worry they become studs. GMs that think that way aren’t successful. Once you have enough data to make a determination with sufficient confidence, you make the call and move on. GMs like QBs need short memories. 

• Upvote 2