McGovern is going to start at Center

Bronx

7 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Tippmann will hopefully be ready by mid-season.

I think he's going to ready long before mid-season.   For certain, I think Tippman will win the starting out of TC, but it could happen within a couple of weeks.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I think he's going to ready long before mid-season.   For certain, I think Tippman will win the starting out of TC, but it could happen within a couple of weeks.

Hopefully ready by week 5.

It is VERY early obviously. And I don't mean to read too much into three answers. But I feel like McGovern is going to start, read this:

Brian Costello, New York Post: Robert, could you size up the center competition?

First day of pads, so we’re going find out a lot about all the competitions happening on the offensive line. Like I said, I really don’t take much stock into what happens when you are in the acclamation period without pads, same with OTAs, but first day, obviously Connor (McGovern) is the veteran and understands the game of football in terms of the professional level. Love what (Wes) Schweitzer’s doing. (Joe) Tips (Tippmann) catching up, obviously he’s got a lot of stuff to absorb. These offensive playbooks in this League are thick, so there’s a lot of time left, four games. There’s going to be a lot to be decided over the next month.

Brian Costello, New York Post: Are you guys, does the incumbent start with a leg up? Like it’s been Connor’s job here for a few years. Does he start?

I don’t know about that, but yeah, he’s by far the most comfortable, but they’re all going to get an equal opportunity to go get that job.

Antwan Staley, New York Daily News: What went into the decision to bring him back? Because you signed him in April. He’s a little bit later. 

He’s a veteran. We’ve won a lot of games with him. He’s played a lot of games. He’s started a lot of games. He’s done a lot of great things for us, so he’s obviously a capable starting center in this League. He’s proved that over and over again, so when the opportunity came about that we can get him back, it was kind of a no brainer.

14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I won't be. I don't see them handing things over to a rookie at the start of the season. There is a lot on the line, they want to get off to a fast start. Especially with the first game being on MNF on 9/11. Let's say Tomlinson has a good camp. They will be feeling great about both guards. If they get through camp without injury, one way or another they will feel good about both tackles.

I think it would make sense to stick with the veteran at center just for his knowledge and experience.

I understand what you’re saying, but I think it’ll be Rodgers making most of the protection calls this year. What I’d like to see is a clear physical improvement at the position, the kind I’d like to think Tippmann can provide. That’s why I’ll be disappointed if he’s not the starter going into week one. 

That said, I can also understand the team looking for some stability inside while they figure out the tackle position. In such a scenario, I’ll be disappointed if Tippmann isn’t starting by week eight. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Maxman said:

It is VERY early obviously. And I don't mean to read too much into three answers. But I feel like McGovern is going to start, read this:

Brian Costello, New York Post: Robert, could you size up the center competition?

Brian Costello, New York Post: Are you guys, does the incumbent start with a leg up? Like it’s been Connor’s job here for a few years. Does he start?

Antwan Staley, New York Daily News: What went into the decision to bring him back? Because you signed him in April. He’s a little bit later. 

actually these quotes lead me to believe that the rookie is going to get the nod - if not right away, a few games into the season if there is any bad play by the vet.

most of these comments by the coach was just protecting the vet.  it's standard talk in my opinion

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Still think AVT ends up at tackle and Tippman at guard.

I truthfully hope this is not the case. We need Tippmann to be our center for the next decade, not guard. While he is versatile in his abilities, his true role is at a center. That is where he needs to be 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I won't be. I don't see them handing things over to a rookie at the start of the season. There is a lot on the line, they want to get off to a fast start. Especially with the first game being on MNF on 9/11. Let's say Tomlinson has a good camp. They will be feeling great about both guards. If they get through camp without injury, one way or another they will feel good about both tackles.

I think it would make sense to stick with the veteran at center just for his knowledge and experience.

The flip side to that is McGovern isn't exactly injury-prone, meaning Tippmann would then likely sit on the sideline all season. To put it another way, this position people wanted to upgrade so badly will remain the same yet again. Plus McGovern is almost inarguably more versatile as a reserve center/guard than Tippmann. 

Week 1 McGovern would expectedly have it all figured out more than the rookie, but there'll be no improvement from the veteran where the rookie's improvement curve should be visible. 

If he's way behind, then of course don't force-feed it, but if it's even close by the end of this summer it's a no-brainer to have Tippmann start over McGovern. 

• Upvote 1

Tippman will be a starter by mid-season and a future anchor of this OL. 
AVT, Tippman.  Little by little Fat Joe is assembling a solid line. We need to find our future LT and we are set.

It my hope the Becton proves all of us wrong and has and outstanding season and earns the Jets confidence. Then they can tag him next year and if he can do it again, then pay the man and the LT spot will be set for 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Agree and a rookie Center is going to have to prove he has the mental part down to play with Rodgers.  Could take a month or two 

That's why I think a swap will take place. AVT will start at Center and Tippman at Right Guard. Once Tippman proves he can handle the basics of blocking then he will be moved to Center and AVT back to Right Guard.

• More Ugh 1

For a number of reasons, I wouldn't overreact to McGovern winning the job, provided that it's because McGovern does a good job in camp (and not that Tippman sucks).  First, I think people underrate him.  He's not one of the best centers in the league and (probably worse) he's not elevating the play of the other OL.  But he's also not a disaster.  He's perfectly serviceable at a position where continuity is rather important.  Also, it's abundantly clear that Tippman is the heir apparent.  We know it.  Connor knows it.  Tippman knows it.  He will get worked in there when he's ready, whether it's Week 1 or later.  Remember that the Jets started something like 11 different OL last year.  His time will come.

A high 2nd rd pick center needs to start at some point as a rookie, in general.

But I have a weird feeling about this pick. I think, like Max, that McGovern is going to be the starter and Tippman is gonna just sit and learn until somebody plays poorly or gets hurt. Which shouldnt be too long, considering McGovern is a JAG. 

He is also extremely tall for a center, which is an issue, I dont care what anyone says. All he has to do is get too high like once or twice a game and he can get the QB killed. I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up at guard or right tackle.