Justin Herbert got paid.....

10 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

It is not like Brady was egoless.

I understand your point and it definitely applies to some players.

He did get paid.  He set the bar at the time. 

I think 10 years allows more flexibility for the team.  Next year he will be almost 20% of the cap and the Chiefs will have over 30 million in cap space.  What free agent WR is available next year?  If Tampa is horrible, the Bucs could try to trade him.  "Hey, Patrick we can get push some of your salary forward for Mike Evans?"

Yeah I don’t think it’ll be next year where it gets redone. But assuming health I don’t think there’s any way he plays out this full contract as currently constructed.

As for Brady, no definitely not ego-less, but he did take less than market value for sure. And I’m not fully plugged in to the palace intrigue in NE but I believe that him taking less than he was worth at least somewhat played in to his ultimate departure. Which is just another example of why I don’t think the “Brady mentality” will mean this contract gets seen through to the end; even Brady got sick of it at some point.

11 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

they will renegotiate but chiefs don't need to give him the most - they would be dumb to do that.

Disagree. Assuming he’s healthy, i think he could at almost any point in the next few years demand to be the highest paid player in the league or refuse to play. And I think the Chiefs would give it to him.

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Zach Wilson about to get paid soonMichael Jordan Lol GIF

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Don’t laugh BYU network commentator makes like $80k

Pretty depressing when you realize Zach Wilson's fully guaranteed contract with the Jets is worth $35.2M.

Must be nice to get paid that much to look like a 5th round developmental prospect your first 2+ seasons.

• More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Elite football players are getting paid at specific positions DL, QB, Edge, CB WR

But overall the average NFL player  gets dwarfed by NBA ballers who get $75-100 million contracts for playing 12 minutes a game. 

Well sure but as always that's an easily explained economics deal.

NBA rosters only have 12 guys and there's legitimate competition in other countries to employ Pro Basketball players.  Guys in, say, Spain, South Korea, etc can make pretty good coin.

NFL having 53-man rosters and being the only show in town outside of the CFL makes them basically a monopoly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jvill 51 said:

Disagree. Assuming he’s healthy, i think he could at almost any point in the next few years demand to be the highest paid player in the league or refuse to play. And I think the Chiefs would give it to him.

he's not going to stop playing.   it's bad for his image.

but the chiefs will redo the contract it appears.   

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pretty depressing when you realize Zach Wilson's fully guaranteed contract with the Jets is worth $35.2M.

Must be nice to get paid that much to look like a 5th round developmental prospect your first 2+ seasons.

momma always said work hard in college to be successful in life

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Think of how much money we've wasted at QB over the last 15 years.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

Yeah I don’t think it’ll be next year where it gets redone. But assuming health I don’t think there’s any way he plays out this full contract as currently constructed.

As for Brady, no definitely not ego-less, but he did take less than market value for sure. And I’m not fully plugged in to the palace intrigue in NE but I believe that him taking less than he was worth at least somewhat played in to his ultimate departure. Which is just another example of why I don’t think the “Brady mentality” will mean this contract gets seen through to the end; even Brady got sick of it at some point.

I read recently Mahomes does not consider the Chiefs a dynasty until the team gets a third ring.  He is thinking about it.  To some degree, he has the Brady Mentality.

I am not a capologist and generally suck at math, but I could see something getting done after 2025.  His dead cap drops to 4+ million in 2026.   It would seem to be a perfect place to extend and/or guarantee some of those roster bonuses into a signing bonus and lower his cap hits.  Hell, they could probably throw 50 million at him and still have a QB hit that is on the lower half of the Top 10.

I seriously doubt Mahomes will get Andy fatigue.  The question is how long do the last together.  If it long enough, both will be in the GOAT conversation.

8 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Why dont you see this happening? Herbert is in a major media market and Burrow is like a home grown, kindred spirit in Cincinnati. PLENTY of money to be made outside of the NFL.

I am speaking literally when I say I dont see it. I see Josh Allen and Mahommes ads all the time. I never see Herbert or Burrow. Maybe they are doing regional ads?? Def not see ing them here in the NY metro market.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well sure but as always that's an easily explained economics deal.

NBA rosters only have 12 guys and there's legitimate competition in other countries to employ Pro Basketball players.  Guys in, say, Spain, South Korea, etc can make pretty good coin.

NFL having 53-man rosters and being the only show in town outside of the CFL makes them basically a monopoly.

You ever play Monopoly? There’s big bucks to be made in Monopoly. And that get out of jail card is priceless. 

IMG_1650.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I don't think any of us can comprehend this kind of cash ... I know I cant ... so I no longer am partaking in any argument about salary of a QB.  It is truly astonishing.

( .. ok so i will keep arguing ... still ... point remains )

Edited by Dunnie
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

I don't think any of us can comprehend this kind of cash ... I know I cant ... so I no longer am partaking in any argument about salary of a QB.  It is truly astonishing.

( .. ok so i will keep arguing ... still ... point remains )

The astonishing pay even mediocre guys like Daniel Jones earn is a very good indicator of how rare the skill set is and the very long odds that a bust QB can suddenly become a franchise guy… otherwise just bring 4 busts into camp and pick the one that has a turnaround rather then spent $40m a year in D. Jones.

The astonishing pay even mediocre guys like Daniel Jones earn is a very good indicator of how rare the skill set is and the very long odds that a bust QB can suddenly become a franchise guy… otherwise just bring 4 busts into camp and pick the one that has a turnaround rather then spent $40m a year in D. Jones.
At least it looks like the Jets have finally beat the odds...

... since Zach has been showing out a bit this preseason so far and if he continues this trajectory under the tutelage of Aaron.... will be a lock to lead this franchise for the foreseeable future .. at least into the 2030s.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

At least it looks like the Jets have finally beat the odds...

They didn’t. They paid for a known quantity. A move I’ve been wanting them to do for years. “If you can’t build it, buy it.” If Rodgers stays beyond this year I’d like them to draft at least 1 QB in every draft going forward until we hit on a keeper. If we don’t have one when Rodgers retires, vet route again. A rebuilding year is fine but this rebuilding decade sucked and I don’t want to be in my 60s next time this team is competitive after Rodgers leaves.

19 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

... since Zach has been showing out a bit this preseason so far and if he continues this trajectory under the tutelage of Aaron.... will be a lock to lead this franchise for the foreseeable future .. at least into the 2030s.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I know you’re being cheeky, which I appreciate. I’ll let you have your summer fling :)