PFT: Jets and Rodgers Agree to Restructure

I read somewhere that AR is the highest paid player in the NFL. Well worth it, even if paying a QB that much was about 3 years earlier than JoeD had planned. He's earning is stripes on this one!

Justin Herbert just got his massive 2nd contract, and Rodgers is still getting like $10m per year more than Herbert got! Just crazy.

7 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Jets have roughly $23m in cap space. My guess is Rodgers cap hit will be $15m this year.

Then we will see a new contract after the season that will lower 2024 hit more.

I'm thinking it might be more than that. I think we have to be restructuring Mosely and Davis as well clearing up even more space. So that 15mill more number seems to fit in there now. But if we rework those 2 deals along with moving ARs money. WE should be able to give him even more than 15mill more.

• Upvote 1

From OTC

The packers/jets contract before any smoothing out. Already has 2 dummy years. 

Contract Notes

Aaron Rodgers signed a three year, $150 million contract with the Packers on March 14, 2022. Rodgers received $101.4 million in full guarantees and $150.66 million in injury guarantees. Rodgers received a $40.8 million signing bonus as part of the contract. The Packers can pick up a guaranteed option in 2023 worth $58.3 million. If Rodgers is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2024 waiver period his salary for the year and a $47 million option bonus will be fully guaranteed. The team has two dummy years on the contract for salary cap purposes. Technically they are not void years but they are not seasons that Rodgers would be asked to honor if he were on the roster.

Rodgers was traded to the Jets on April 26, 2023. Prior to the trade the Packers reworked the contract to carry a $1.165 million salary cap charge for 2023. That is just a placeholder to facilitate the trade and the Jets and Rodgers will work out a new contract in the days following the trade.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Larz said:

From OTC

The packers/jets contract before any smoothing out. Already has 2 dummy years. 

Contract Notes

Aaron Rodgers signed a three year, $150 million contract with the Packers on March 14, 2022. Rodgers received $101.4 million in full guarantees and $150.66 million in injury guarantees. Rodgers received a $40.8 million signing bonus as part of the contract. The Packers can pick up a guaranteed option in 2023 worth $58.3 million. If Rodgers is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2024 waiver period his salary for the year and a $47 million option bonus will be fully guaranteed. The team has two dummy years on the contract for salary cap purposes. Technically they are not void years but they are not seasons that Rodgers would be asked to honor if he were on the roster.

Rodgers was traded to the Jets on April 26, 2023. Prior to the trade the Packers reworked the contract to carry a $1.165 million salary cap charge for 2023. That is just a placeholder to facilitate the trade and the Jets and Rodgers will work out a new contract in the days following the trade.

Those dummy years came off when Jets initially restructured. As of right now Rodgers is on a 2 year contract with no phantom years.

22 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Those dummy years came off when Jets initially restructured. As of right now Rodgers is on a 2 year contract with no phantom years.

The packers took off the phantom years?   That would help I think.   I guess we’ll find out.  Nobody else is  covering the story.  Hope it’s true. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

The packers took off the phantom years?   That would help I think.   I guess we’ll find out.  Nobody else is  covering the story.  Hope it’s true. 

I don't think the Packers take them off.  Aren't the dummy years simply for the purpose of extending the amount of time to pay out the bonus?  I think that gets accelerated at the time of the trade.  The new deal may well have dummy years to help the Jets spread out the cost. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

My guess

3 year deal worth $140 with two void years ($60m signing bonus). Similar contract he previously signed with GB.

Cap Hit by year $17, $47, $52, $12, $12.

Year 2 will require us to cut a couple of players.

If we're going to engage in conjecture, why not a positive conjecture?

Four year deal, signing bonus as required, spread out as $15, $30, $35, $35 or thereabouts.  Mutual voids as desired after year 3.

No huge single-year-cap-hits to break the team while he's here at QB, and an A.R. commitment (as much as is possible with A.R.) that he's here to play 3 seasons at least.

I feel like being an optimist on this.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

My guess

3 year deal worth $140 with two void years ($60m signing bonus). Similar contract he previously signed with GB.

Cap Hit by year $17, $47, $52, $12, $12.

Year 2 will require us to cut a couple of players.

this is a "pay cut" for AR -  he's basically agreeing to do an extra year for 40MM which is under market.

Believe me, Rodgers won't miss out on any coin.  With the endorsements he is/will be getting in the NY market will make his contract seem petty.  Hope the Jets remind him of that and he'll give us a discount (lots a luck on that) in the second and third years.