Does the Rodgers New Contract Mean Mosley/ Davis Restructuring is Off the Table?

Mosley / Davis Restructure DOA with Rodgers giving Jets Cap relief?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

There’s about 40 days until the first real practice before the opener. Long way to go. Someone pointed out that the bucs used Brady’s team friendly deal to renegotiate with veterans. If an opportunity comes up, they will put the screws to them 

• Upvote 2

It may not be as urgent, as in needed to fit under the cap, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t try.  As I understand it, the remaining cap space can be carried forward so a 10 million shortfall this season will mean 10 million more next.  And that would be enough to bring a decent player if next seasons team is one piece way.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, rangerous said:

It may not be as urgent, as in needed to fit under the cap, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t try.  As I understand it, the remaining cap space can be carried forward so a 10 million shortfall this season will mean 10 million more next.  And that would be enough to bring a decent player if next seasons team is one piece way.

but next year Rodgers cap goes up from 8 mil to 17 mil. not sure if its a good idea to push CJs money to next year. and CD is done after this year.

now if your talking about a pay cut then yeah lets do it.

i just hate the idea of kicking cap money down the road especially when we dont need it right now.

• Upvote 1

Davis is not taking a pay cut.   His salary is not that crazy compared to NFL wide receivers right now.  You let him finish the season, hopefully he gets you a good draft comp pick when he leaves.

I don't want to re structure Mosely to increase his dead cap # in the future.  As it is, if he is cut after this season he has a 10 million dollar dead cap hit for 2024.  If he isn't cut after this season, and plays in 2024 (doubtful, but who knows) he will still count for 5.9 million on the cap the year after (when he isn't even on the team).

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, doitny said:

but next year Rodgers cap goes up from 8 mil to 17 mil. not sure if its a good idea to push CJs money to next year. and CD is done after this year.

i just hate the idea of kicking cap money down the road especially when we dont need it right now.

They won’t look to push any money forward, they’ll be looking for a straight-up pay cut. They might guarantee some salary next year in return, but that would be about it. 

• Upvote 1

• CJ Mosley would still be a cap savings of $11mm if cut next year, despite the $10mm cap hit.
  • JD has done great things, but his failure to find a viable replacement for Mosley, at a position that typically is not that hard to fill, has been a mismanagement of cap space.
  • The Jets want to compete for a SB this year.  The drop off from Mosley is too great.  The 49ers found Fred Warner in the 3rd round.  Mosley may have lost a few steps, but without him, this defense is much worse.
  • Given the contract that AR just signed, JD needs to convince Mosley to do the right thing and take a salary closer to $8mm, not $17mm.  With Carl Lawson, they could politely threaten to cut him.  With Mosley, they can't.  Jamien Sherwood and his low RAS will be exposed against real teams.  
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Davis is not taking a pay cut.   His salary is not that crazy compared to NFL wide receivers right now.  You let him finish the season, hopefully he gets you a good draft comp pick when he leaves.

I don't want to re structure Mosely to increase his dead cap # in the future.  As it is, if he is cut after this season he has a 10 million dollar dead cap hit for 2024.  If he isn't cut after this season, and plays in 2024 (doubtful, but who knows) he will still count for 5.9 million on the cap the year after (when he isn't even on the team).

Exactly this. Pushing Davis or Mosley money down the line is no longer needed or worth it.  Let them play out and be done with the contracts.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • CJ Mosley would still be a cap savings of $11mm if cut next year, despite the $10mm cap hit.
  • JD has done great things, but his failure to find a viable replacement for Mosley, at a position that typically is not that hard to fill, has been a mismanagement of cap space.
  • The Jets want to compete for a SB this year.  The drop off from Mosley is too great.  The 49ers found Fred Warner in the 3rd round.  Mosley may have lost a few steps, but without him, this defense is much worse.
  • Given the contract that AR just signed, JD needs to convince Mosley to do the right thing and take a salary closer to $8mm, not $17mm.  With Carl Lawson, they could politely threaten to cut him.  With Mosley, they can't.  Jamien Sherwood and his low RAS will be exposed against real teams.  

Some good points but it’s hard to say how much the jets value Moseley. True he’s lost a step but your second bullet point sums up why he’s still valuable.  This doesn’t mean the jets should just stand pat and not try to restructure or even get some pay relief.  And maybe Sherwood or one of the new guys will show enough that they take a harder stance with Moseley.

24 minutes ago, varjet said:

This, 100%.

With all the young ends/edge rushers on the team, he had tremendous leverage over Lawson. He did the same thing with Crowder after signing Cole. 

By making no effort to find even a suitable backup for Mosley - including re-signing Alexander - he's robbed himself of any leverage on this other front. Mosley surely realizes this, and you can bet his agent does, too. It's an empty threat as they stand right now.

I don't know that the dropoff form Mosley to Alexander is that great tbh, but there's a legitimate concern with Alexander making it through a 2nd consecutive season as a full time MLB replacement, without missing a good chunk (if not most of) the season himself. His history suggests last year was the outlier in that regard.

He should also consider that Mosley need not be cut to miss a whole season, as he'd shown when he was even younger/stronger. It can happen even if he plays out the year with no pay cut. The depth is pretty thin, on top of a somewhat unknown/risky first-time (as full-time) starter for 1 of the 3 as it is in Sherwood.

No doubt he's better than his backup, but a MLB who gets pushed backwards with such ease, who isn't nearly fast enough to offset that, and who frankly isn't especially fast off the snap for such a veteran (exacerbating the lack of pure foot speed), is hardly a unicorn that's impossible to find/replace. Yeah I'm sure he's a locker room leader. Honestly, bfd; they've lost plenty of games and have gotten exposed plenty on defense even with him out there 99% of the time.

Should've signed Wagner, a better player, for less than the most optimistically unrealistic decreases in salary people hope for Mosley.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know that the dropoff form Mosley to Alexander is that great tbh, but there's a legitimate concern with Alexander making it through a 2nd consecutive season as a full time MLB replacement, without missing a good chunk (if not most of) the season himself. His history suggests last year was the outlier in that regard.

Should've signed Wagner, a better player, for less than the most optimistically unrealistic decreases in salary people hope for Mosley.

• Kwon had some great looks when he was playing, but he did play very sparingly.  I don't think he holds up.
  • The Jets could have cut Mosley and replaced him with Bobby Wagner for $1mm in cap savings and $11.5mm in Woody's cash savings.  JD missed the boat on that one. 
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

• Kwon had some great looks when he was playing, but he did play very sparingly.  I don't think he holds up.
  • The Jets could have cut Mosley and replaced him with Bobby Wagner for $1mm in cap savings and $11.5mm in Woody's cash savings.  JD missed the boat on that one. 
Agree .. but I think maybe there is hometown value to keeping Mosely in a leadership.role ... Defense is always better with him playing.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Agree .. but I think maybe there is hometown value to keeping Mosely in a leadership.role ... Defense is always better with him playing.

He has some value. Hopefully Jets can get him to take less by making it fully guaranteed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, slats said:

It could go either way. Rodgers’ willingness to take less can be used as leverage to get them to take less, too, in an effort to win now. 

You figure Rodgers gave up 1/3 of his original contract. If Mosley & Davis did the same, you’re looking at Mosley playing for $12 mil and Davis $6.6 mil.

Still an overpay, but definitely more reasonable.

• Sympathy 1

You figure Rodgers gave up 1/3 of his original contract. If Mosley & Davis did the same, you’re looking at Mosley playing for $12 mil and Davis $6.6 mil.
Still an overpay, but definitely more reasonable.
Not apples.to.apples... but I agree with the idea

22 hours ago, doitny said:

This.

While Mosley’s number is not good this year, (or next year for that matter) his dead cap numbers in 2025 and 2026 when he is surely to be gone are manageable.  

As long as we don’t absolutely need the money now, I wouldn’t want to push up his dead cap numbers when he’s gone, especially since we will need to start paying guys like AVT, G. Wilson, Sauce and JJ in 2024, 2025 and 2026.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This, 100%.

With all the young ends/edge rushers on the team, he had tremendous leverage over Lawson. He did the same thing with Crowder after signing Cole. 

By making no effort to find even a suitable backup for Mosley - including re-signing Alexander - he's robbed himself of any leverage on this other front. Mosley surely realizes this, and you can bet his agent does, too. It's an empty threat as they stand right now.

He should also consider that Mosley need not be cut to miss a whole season, as he'd shown when he was even younger/stronger. It can happen even if he plays out the year with no pay cut. The depth is pretty thin, on top of a somewhat unknown/risky first-time (as full-time) starter for 1 of the 3 as it is in Sherwood.

No doubt he's better than his backup, but a MLB who gets pushed backwards with such ease, who isn't nearly fast enough to offset that, and who frankly isn't especially fast off the snap for such a veteran (exacerbating the lack of pure foot speed), is hardly a unicorn that's impossible to find/replace. Yeah I'm sure he's a locker room leader. Honestly, bfd; they've lost plenty of games and have gotten exposed plenty on defense even with him out there 99% of the time.

I agree. But we might value these guys more than we think. Saleh very well might think Quincy and Sherwood can handle lb next year and Barnes be our Sherwood of this year for next year. Good teams create pipelines. Because you can’t pay everyone.

26 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

As long as we don’t absolutely need the money now, I wouldn’t want to push up his dead cap numbers when he’s gone, especially since we will need to start paying guys like AVT, G. Wilson, Sauce and JJ in 2024, 2025 and 2026.

With 5th year options after 2025, 2026 & 2027 seasons.

AVT 1st Free Agent after 2025 season.

AND DON’T FORGET ZACH!!!

22 hours ago, chirorob said:

He’s the WR4 on this team and set to earn 9M

He is always banged up and missing games 

He drops the football  and fumbles at the most inopportune times

57 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

With 5th year options after 2025, 2026 & 2027 seasons.

AVT 1st Free Agent after 2025 season.

AND DON’T FORGET ZACH!!!

Some of these guys will get extended early.  Can't see JD falling into the trap of them playing on a 5th year option then going through the whole franchise tag charade. Especially since we have 3 potential big pieces in Sauce, Wilson and JJ on the same contract timing all being 1st round 2022 picks.

If these guys pan out like we think they will, extensions should be coming as early as the offseason between years 3 and 4.

Also...if...and it's a big if...if we want Breece on a 2nd contract, he's only on a 4 year deal...so you're looking at extending him at the same time your trying to extend all those other guys.

My guess....unless Breece turns into a monster...he might be gone after his four years.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Some of these guys will get extended early.  Can't see JD falling into the trap of them playing on a 5th year option then going through the whole franchise tag charade. Especially since we have 3 potential big pieces in Sauce, Wilson and JJ on the same contract timing all being 1st round 2022 picks.

If these guys pan out like we think they will, extensions should be coming as early as the offseason between years 3 and 4.

The beauty of Sauce, GW & JJ is that they all seem very grounded. I can see them being easier to work with getting extended than some others in their draft class.

• Upvote 1

As of today, they have approx $15m in cap space. So without any other signings they should be good. Obviously signing Cook changes that...

I remember Mr T said he always wanted at least $10m for when the season started to be able to sign guys off the street should the need arise (we saw it last season with the OL), in season trades etc....

And don't forget they still need to sign the practice squad guys - yes they are "cheap" but they still go against the cap and the PS is now 16 guys. 

30 minutes ago, C Mart said:

As of today, they have approx $15m in cap space. So without any other signings they should be good. Obviously signing Cook changes that...

I remember Mr T said he always wanted at least $10m for when the season started to be able to sign guys off the street should the need arise (we saw it last season with the OL), in season trades etc....

And don't forget they still need to sign the practice squad guys - yes they are "cheap" but they still go against the cap and the PS is now 16 guys. 

Also, bear in mind that current cap numbers are offseason, top 51 cap.  In season they need to fit all 53 guys, plus IR and as you mentioned practice squad.  Not sure how all that will impact how much "in season" space they have.

• Upvote 1