Saleh says starters might not play at all during preseason "maybe the Giants game"

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I am a believer that you need some legit pre season action to be ready for when the bullets fly so I'm not sure about this.

I understand that injuries are a worry but you don't play a real game then week one are in one and you have a chance to get hurt vs real nfl players vs perhaps guys not as good.

You simply cannot afford to have the first few reg season games in effect be your 'get sharp' ex games.

More and more it is going this way for most teams though so it is what it is.  There should only be two ex games if teams are not really going to make use of them.

I think it was Mahommes that said he likes preseason just to get hit one time and then get taken out lol. Just to get back into it. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

2. I don't know how they can compel STHs to purchase tickets for these games.

This is literally the dumbest argument ever. Here's the truth: You are going to pay EXACTLY the same for your season tickets regardless. If they made pre-season game tickets free or not even part of the STH package they would just amortize the amount into the 8 regular season cost. The total you pay for your season ticket will never be different. Maybe you would prefer the illusion of not paying for pre-season games but that is all it would be.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Thoughts? Personally, I don't need to see any of the starters at all. For what? Let the youngins and backups get their chance. 

This is close to impossible to do in reality, so what he is saying is that there are probably 10-15 players they will not risk in preseason. Saleh is an idiiot, but whatever.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

49 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

This is literally the dumbest argument ever. Here's the truth: You are going to pay EXACTLY the same for your season tickets regardless. If they made pre-season game tickets free or not even part of the STH package they would just amortize the amount into the 8 regular season cost. The total you pay for your season ticket will never be different. Maybe you would prefer the illusion of not paying for pre-season games but that is all it would be.

While that may be the rationale to justify a ST package, the fact remains that tickets are sold at a listed price and are not stamped COMP.

Commerce is being transacted on fraudulent exhibition.

FWIW, you're literally making a figurative argument. Literally. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I am a believer that you need some legit pre season action to be ready for when the bullets fly so I'm not sure about this.

I understand that injuries are a worry but you don't play a real game then week one are in one and you have a chance to get hurt vs real nfl players vs perhaps guys not as good.

You simply cannot afford to have the first few reg season games in effect be your 'get sharp' ex games.

More and more it is going this way for most teams though so it is what it is.  There should only be two ex games if teams are not really going to make use of them.

yea I'd like to see them do the standard first half of the 3rd game to at least get real game feelz in before the lights turn on. that could be what saleh is planning based on what he said.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

yea I'd like to see them do the standard first half of the 3rd game to at least get real game feelz in before the lights turn on. that could be what saleh is planning based on what he said.

The 3rd game of a 4 game preseason was the "dress rehearsal game" for most of the NFL for 20 years or so. The 4th game was always just for backups to decide final roster spots. That's also why the Jets and Giants almost always played that 3rd game against one another. Starters played starters.

This year's preseason Jets/Giants is 4th and final for the Jets and 3rd and final for the Giants.

That's a long way of saying, who knows what teams are going to do at this point?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Yeah because a few reps in preseason means they'll be sharp as a tack come Week 1. Cmon. Teams always start out slow. Always been the case. 

If you're okay with having even more sloppy plays and miscues than usual week 1, fine.  I disagree.  Why would you not want to look at at least a quarter of film against an opposing team prior to week 1?  If we're so scared of injuries, we might as well pack it in now.

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

1. If the offense looks like crap at the beginning of the season, they will get roasted for not working things out with live opposition when they had the chance. (scrimmage w/ Tampa is not the same as a real preseason game)

2. I don't know how they can compel STHs to purchase tickets for these games.

Yeah, those 3 series are really gonna make a difference. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

If you're okay with having even more sloppy plays and miscues than usual week 1, fine.  I disagree.  Why would you not want to look at at least a quarter of film against an opposing team prior to week 1?  If we're so scared of injuries, we might as well pack it in now.

Lol. You can't fix that with a few snaps against vanilla defenses and offenses. It's dumb really.

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

We open against Buffalo so if queues  are off and play is sloppy it will be 1000% Saleh’s fault.

And if he plays his starters and the play is sloppy vs Buffalo, its also 1000 per cent Saleh’s fault.

Wondering whose fault it is if he plays his starters and they get hurt and aren't available vs Buffalo?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Most teams are barely playing their starting QBs. I think it's important to get our defense and the Oline some reps though. I doubt we will be much different than the Bills and Cowboys.

Ehh, not sure this is the best idea.   

I get it from an injury risk POV, but the early season schedule is brutal.

Early season matchups vs Buffalo and KC don't seem like the games to take on as effectively an extended training camp to iron out any timing / chemistry / playbook / communication issues.

I would sit Q, Sauce, DJ, and Mosley (age).

The defense should already be in sync.  3 years in the same system.

But I think the offense needs to play.

• Upvote 1

anyone who complains should see how much the starters played last year, or really for the last few years. thats the NFL now, this is why you want to play the Chiefs (and probably the jets) of the world in september before they knock the rust off and start to roll.