Who might be trade candidates at the end of camp?

We are going to have some good players we can't keep due to numbers or simply roster construction.  Who might be candidates for trade in your opinion?

Bryce Huff, I know I know we love the guy the team loves the guy but with Johnson coming on and the drafting of McDonald are we going to have too many Dline to justify?   Both Huff and mcdoanld getting like 12% of the snaps as passing down rushers only?  I think we could get some nice value for him if we decided to trade him.

Michael Carter (RB), if we sign Cook do we need a guy that does the same as Cook and Breece?  Abakanda is a home run threat player, Bam Knight is more of a bully RB and has special teams ability.

Bryce Hall - Could for sure be a straight cut but has enough ability that some team might make a play for him.

CJ Uzomah - Yeboah seems to be having a pretty good camp, Kuntz has just great traits, Nick Bawden at FB is having a great camp.  I like Uzomah as a good team guy but I think the other guys I have mentioned have way more upside.

What say you all?

• Upvote 4

I think there will be some trades.  Jets need to offload salary.  Uzomah is a good candidate.

Trades will be influenced by injuries--ours and theirs.  And it's still too early to know which rookies are going to stand out.

Jets are all in this year.  That will give the vets some protection.  If you are on the O, you want AR to be your new best friend.  His opinion will count.

It took JD a couple of years to figure out the draft.  But since year 2, he has been outstanding.  Gonna be fun watching how he manages the roster.  There are a lot of good players here now! and some of them won't make the the final cut.

• Upvote 2

Multiple reports that Huff has been unblockable in TC, yet we trade him because of Saleh and his rotation  rather than figuring out how to use. And I do not care how he is against the run Abraham was a DPR as well. 

If we sign Cook I dont see how MC1 stays. Maybe we take highest offer for Becton Uzomah is I think almost untradeable.

• Upvote 2

I think that all of the players that you named could be very real possibilities. The only one that I could think of might be Becton, not because of excessive depth, but because the team may be fed up with him. It would be somewhat risky but they can probably get some depth to replace him from other teams cuts.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Multiple reports that Huff has been unblockable in TC, yet we trade him because of Saleh and his rotation  rather than figuring out how to use. And I do not care how he is against the run Abraham was a DPR as well. 

If we sign Cook I dont see how MC1 stays. Maybe we take highest offer for Becton Uzomah is I think almost untradeable.

We have 12 unblockable guys, will be nice when they all get to play like 12% of the snaps.  (Another reason I did not want to draft mcdonald)

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

We are going to have some good players we can't keep due to numbers or simply roster construction.  Who might be candidates for trade in your opinion?

Bryce Huff, I know I know we love the guy the team loves the guy but with Johnson coming on and the drafting of McDonald are we going to have too many Dline to justify?   Both Huff and mcdoanld getting like 12% of the snaps as passing down rushers only?  I think we could get some nice value for him if we decided to trade him.

Michael Carter (RB), if we sign Cook do we need a guy that does the same as Cook and Breece?  Abakanda is a home run threat player, Bam Knight is more of a bully RB and has special teams ability.

Bryce Hall - Could for sure be a straight cut but has enough ability that some team might make a play for him.

CJ Uzomah - Yeboah seems to be having a pretty good camp, Kuntz has just great traits, Nick Bawden at FB is having a great camp.  I like Uzomah as a good team guy but I think the other guys I have mentioned have way more upside.

What say you all?

I actually would love to trade Lawson.  He is way overpaid, is on the last year of his deal, and is a quality name that I believe could get us a nice return.  I would love to trade him for a quality linebacker, or a decent offensive tackle, being that we seem to be on thin ice for Becton and Duane Brown.  At least it seems that way to me.  I think Lawson got 7 sacks last season, and could be a bigger force in this year 2 after recovery from his injury.  And even without him, we are good to go at the edge.

• Upvote 2

No one is touching Uzomah unless the Jets restructure his contract to eat the overwhelming majority of money he's due.

If the young DEs look good and stay healthy, then Lawson is probably the best trade candidate they have.  With only one year left and a solid but not great performance last season, they won't pull anything major in for him, but he would probably be the perfect candidate if you can find another team in a similar situation of having a solid guy coming up for a contract at a position strength for them, but of need to the Jets (e.g., LB).

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JohnnyLV said:

If they sign Cook I'm guessing Hall goes to the PUP and Bam is the odd man out.  Once Hall is ready to come back, if the RBs are all still healthy then I agree MC could start getting shopped around at that time.

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We have 12 unblockable guys, will be nice when they all get to play like 12% of the snaps.  (Another reason I did not want to draft mcdonald)

Completely with you. I have become quite down on Saleh i just do not think he puts his players in the best place to succeed. I would have definitely taken JSN

15 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Lmao guys actually think Huff could be traded? 

If JJ II really did take a step and if WMD flashes as a rookie, it's not wild to move Huff.

We'll see if a team has a Jalen Ramsey-type injury to a pass rusher in camp. I think it requires other teams to make the first move, though. I don't think he's on the block.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What say you all?

First 3 are legitimate possibilities. They’re all young, cheap (2 of the 3 very cheap), and all have demonstrated good play at the NFL level, even if it wasn’t sustained over a season.

I wouldn’t expect too much for Huff, absent someone suddenly desperate due to a starter injury. No one was crazy enough for Huff to pony up the 2nd rounder to sign him as a RFA (while some were screaming that he needed to be RFA-tagged at 1st round level). Maybe someone is interested for a 4th, but that’s as high as I think the highest bidder is likely to go. I guess a 3rd is theoretically possible, but that seems to be a real long shot to me. 

Carter has more value than some think because he’s also such a natural receiver. Plus as a rookie he had one of the highest tackle-breaking rates in the league (like top-5). Coming off a down-season while the line looked awful, it’s not hard to imagine someone thinking they’re getting a steal here & buying low.

Bryce Hall, yeah just because he’s a young corner with starting experience & plenty still believe you can’t have too many corners (except the Jets, who simply don’t need him). I imagine someone would have to have a really bad CB need to offer up even a 6th, but then again we’ve seen Douglas get some surprising compensation for other scrubs, too. Maybe they get a more distant future pick swap (6th for 7th in 2025), seeing how the Jets don’t have a 7th (and maybe not a 6th) in ‘24 to even trade back.

Uzomah has little chance of being traded, absent some brain-damaged GM offers up a 4th rounder in exchange for the Jets eating even more of his contract. Douglas just restructured Uzomah in the spring so they don’t get any cap relief. It’d purely be to clear a roster spot, and still pay all but $1MM of his salary. 

Lawson, mentioned after your post, also has no chance of getting traded after the Jets restructured & pay-cut him for this season. They already paid $8MM of his $9MM compensation for this season, so with the player swap (someone else moves up into the final-53) they save $0, like with Uzomah: all they’d gain is a roster spot and whatever draft pick someone might offer up. Therefore they’re keeping him. 

• Upvote 3

If Huff has a good year, we are probably getting a comp pick for him.

I’d rather have 1 year of Huff and a day 3 comp pick in 2025 then a day 3 pick in 2024.

Only way I’d be ok with a player trade is if the return is for another player at a position of need.

• Upvote 1

We are playing for a Super Bowl and this team is built to unleash its pass rushers playing with a lead. Cannot see Lawson or Huff going anywhere. Plus you never know with injuries. 

Those who said we should have taken JSN…Lawson and Huff are likely gone in the offseason so having McDonald to transition into a starting role next to JJ next year is how good teams draft. Steelers and Ravens always have the next man up on defense. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

We are playing for a Super Bowl and this team is built to unleash its pass rushers playing with a lead. Cannot see Lawson or Huff going anywhere. Plus you never know with injuries. 

Those who said we should have taken JSN…Lawson and Huff are likely gone in the offseason so having McDonald to transition into a starting role next to JJ next year is how good teams draft. Steelers and Ravens always have the next man up on defense. 

Agree that McDonald will be valuable and even more so down the line. But GW and Lazard are our only WRs under contract next year as well 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Agree that McDonald will be valuable and even more so down the line. But GW and Lazard are our only WRs under contract next year as well 

There are a lot more good WR available in free agency than there are good pass rushing DE in their prime.    We could have signed Hopkins or Beckham if we wanted to this off season.

It’ll be interesting to see how Saleh uses all the #1 pick edges he has been given.

IMO you don’t draft 1st round edges to play as rotational guys getting 15% of the snaps.

With that said ZI disagree with the OP, I don’t think we’re trading anyone. Cuts, yes. Trades, no.

6 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

There are a lot more good WR available in free agency than there are good pass rushing DE in their prime.    We could have signed Hopkins or Beckham if we wanted to this off season.

Yes but we need to be drafting WRs not hat sign FA ones. JSN over Davis for me was an easy way to not only upgrade at WR. But get younger AND save us money.

I didn’t dislike the McDonald pick bc I think he’s good. I just wasn’t a fan of drafting a guy in Round 1 where we had 4 good guys already. So it was more of the position addressed that I didn’t like. Not the player himself. 

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

It’ll be interesting to see how Saleh uses all the #1 pick edges he has been given.

IMO you don’t draft 1st round edges to play as rotational guys getting 15% of the snaps.

With that said ZI disagree with the OP, I don’t think we’re trading anyone. Cuts, yes. Trades, no.

Thank you. You keep spending 1st rounders on guys only spending 60% of the snaps on defense when you can be drafting guys that will be on 95% of offense. It’s using your resources better. Especially as a win now team. I don’t buy into that McDonald will help this team this year and next year more than JSN would have. Also we don’t have a 1st next year likely. So getting guys that will make an immediate impact on offense is that much harder. You’re looking at if we have a hole at WR and look to get younger via draft. Maybe not able to even think about drafting one until a pick in the late 50s early 60s. Or possible not even in the top 100.

19 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

The rotation is why Huff gets plays.

What, does trading Becton today for nothing do for anyone?  He stays healthy through the season and you don’t want him then you trade him

I swear I’ll lose my sh*t if we trade Huff. We found this guy and developed him. You keep your home grown talent! It’s insanity to even think about trading him. 

As for Lawson, if we’re going to trade him now, why not just keep him and get a comp pick? Just doesn’t make sense. You can never have too many pass rushers. 

5 hours ago, JETSxWRATH™ said:

Huff is going nowhere. Saleh wants a deep D Line on gameday, with 10 players suitingg up. Huff will be one of those

The laws of diminishing returns imo.   At some point the assets you are putting into position is not worth what you are going to get out of it.

We have invested massively on the dline in salary and draft resources, almost obsessively. 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

First 3 are legitimate possibilities. They’re all young, cheap (2 of the 3 very cheap), and all have demonstrated good play at the NFL level, even if it wasn’t sustained over a season.

I wouldn’t expect too much for Huff, absent someone suddenly desperate due to a starter injury. No one was crazy enough for Huff to pony up the 2nd rounder to sign him as a RFA (while some were screaming that he needed to be RFA-tagged at 1st round level). Maybe someone is interested for a 4th, but that’s as high as I think the highest bidder is likely to go. I guess a 3rd is theoretically possible, but that seems to be a real long shot to me. 

Carter has more value than some think because he’s also such a natural receiver. Plus as a rookie he had one of the highest tackle-breaking rates in the league (like top-5). Coming off a down-season while the line looked awful, it’s not hard to imagine someone thinking they’re getting a steal here & buying low.

Bryce Hall, yeah just because he’s a young corner with starting experience & plenty still believe you can’t have too many corners (except the Jets, who simply don’t need him). I imagine someone would have to have a really bad CB need to offer up even a 6th, but then again we’ve seen Douglas get some surprising compensation for other scrubs, too. Maybe they get a more distant future pick swap (6th for 7th in 2025), seeing how the Jets don’t have a 7th (and maybe not a 6th) in ‘24 to even trade back.

Uzomah has little chance of being traded, absent some brain-damaged GM offers up a 4th rounder in exchange for the Jets eating even more of his contract. Douglas just restructured Uzomah in the spring so they don’t get any cap relief. It’d purely be to clear a roster spot, and still pay all but $1MM of his salary. 

Lawson, mentioned after your post, also has no chance of getting traded after the Jets restructured & pay-cut him for this season. They already paid $8MM of his $9MM compensation for this season, so with the player swap (someone else moves up into the final-53) they save $0, like with Uzomah: all they’d gain is a roster spot and whatever draft pick someone might offer up. Therefore they’re keeping him. 

Well it is all about rosters spots.  We have no real need to free caps space by any moves but if we are going to lose good players elsewhere then you look to trade if you can.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Why would we buy sellers at the deadline?

This is not the deadline this is at the end of training cap i am talking about.  We have more talent than we have room for, if we do not trade some vets if e have the chance we potentially lose some good younger players.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is not the deadline this is at the end of training cap i am talking about.  We have more talent than we have room for, if we do not trade some vets if e have the chance we potentially lose some good younger players.

Absolutely we have some tough decisions to make. Every team does really. It’s a numbers game. A guy like Bawden for example might be useful. But if we’re carrying 4 RBs and 4 TEs we really can’t keep him. But he has 0 trade value. So I don’t see us trading anyone really. Likely just making some rough cuts. Brownlee looks like he might earn a 6th WR spot if we keep 6. Gipson might be worthy of a spot as well. But again it’s a numbers game. Can’t see us cutting Cobb to fit both UDFA in the WR room. Can’t see a world where if Cobb is healthy he isn’t on the team. But if we did decide not to. He’d get cut not traded. 

The rotation is very controversial.  Forces us to invest more resources in the unit than is normal.  The question is whether there is a benefit.  If there is going to be one, I would expect to see it in late-game sack production.  Normally, DL get tired and OL can start to bully them more in the run game and pass pro because the defensive guys are working harder all game.  But if you keep our guys fresh, then hopefully we will flip the script and start breaking down the Offensive line more as the game wears on.  Sort of like RBBC for the DL. 

It may be that Saleh and Douglas are experimenting with something that hasn't really been done to this level before in the league.  It might not be worth it, in which case, it's easy to fix next season.  Just don't resign two of the guys.  

But if it works...

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

I'd like for the Jets to get an extension for Huff done at some point

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes but we need to be drafting WRs not hat sign FA ones. JSN over Davis for me was an easy way to not only upgrade at WR. But get younger AND save us money.

I didn’t dislike the McDonald pick bc I think he’s good. I just wasn’t a fan of drafting a guy in Round 1 where we had 4 good guys already. So it was more of the position addressed that I didn’t like. Not the player himself. 

Very good chance we don’t have Lawson or Huff next year.  If McDonald is a good situational pass rusher this year and bulks up enough to play the run next year, then he was a good pick.  We have a pretty deep WR room without JSN.   One thing that Douglas has done well is finding guys at bottom of the draft and FA that contribute and become starters.   We have 3 FA wr that are all looking good and 1-2 are going to be on the practice squad.