New NFL Rule: Team Roster Cuts to Happen August 29th. Roster Goes From 90 - 53.

4. One and only one cut-down deadline.

One of this year's proposed resolutions was to change the procedure of how each team's roster is reduced from the 90 players with which it starts training camp to the regular-season limit of 53. The fact that 25 different teams – including the Buccaneers – submitted this proposal, it was obviously going to pass.

The league used to have teams trim down to the regular-season limit on three separate cut dates, and then in recent years reduced that to two. Now it will all happen at once, on the Tuesday following the last week of preseason games. This year, the deadline for final roster cuts will be on August 29.

Allowing teams to maintain rosters of up to 90 players through the entire preseason provides greater flexibility late in the preseason, when many established veterans are held out to reduce the risk of injury. It also gives teams more time to develop players, which has taken on added importance with the expansion of practice squads and the new rules allowing game day elevations of those practice squad players.

Here's a rundown of all the rules changes and proposals approved by the owners on Tuesday:

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Id guess the priority would be on known vets that were cap cuts but already proven around the league to fill any holes in a teams roster. 

Mosley would be hard pressed to find a contending team paying him more than $8 mil. Jets have a good amount of leverage. Also gives Jets a looooong look at Sherwood during camp

Kwon could communicate with DC and make changes before snap. He’s a solid vet

34 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Mosley would be hard pressed to find a contending team paying him more than $8 mil. Jets have a good amount of leverage. Also gives Jets a looooong look at Sherwood during camp

Vets getting cut are going to have to swallow hard and take what they can get with most teams close to the salary cap.   We ll probably see soon what the Jets offered Cook.  That said, I doubt the Jets cut Mosely after he restructured his deal, especially with them needing him to run the defense.   A replacement isn’t obvious on the roster so they’d have to sign someone who wouldn’t know the defense.   He is here for at least one more year IMO.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

That said, I doubt the Jets cut Mosely after he restructured his deal, especially with them needing him to run the defense.   A replacement isn’t obvious on the roster so they’d have to sign someone who wouldn’t know the defense.   He is here for at least one more year IMO.

When did Mosley restructure? If he did… it was a terrible negotiation on Jets part. $17 mil for a MLB with below avg. coverage and tackling skills. $21 mil Cap hit this year.

44 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I don’t know about this change. Seems to me it just brings more chaos to the training camp and also prevents teams from latching onto cut players before camp ends.   It’s gonna be quite the madruch on august 31.

Hopefully our roster is talented enough where we don’t need team’s castoffs. With all our Cap space, we will be 1st on team radar’s for trade possibilities. Maybe CHM replacement on the cheap.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I don’t know about this change. Seems to me it just brings more chaos to the training camp and also prevents teams from latching onto cut players before camp ends.   It’s gonna be quite the madruch on august 31.

Not sure about that. I think there might be more trades before cutdown date as teams try to secure serviceable vets that otherwise might have been cut 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets aren’t allowing the cameras to cover the cuts as they happen so it’s irrelevant this year anyways!

Disagree. While I'm sure HBO would rather be in the room when a player gets cut, it's not necessary that they are. The drama of a fringe player trying to make the team is the same. Now only the last episode will have players getting a verdict, which will be problematic for building drama in earlier episodes.

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

The Jets have a loaded roster, Mosley is not getting waived.

Veteran that is a leader and loved, can't think of a worse way to start the season.

Not. Getting. Cut.

If he refuses to restructure he needs to be cut.  This is a business not a charity.  

• Thumb Down 1

21 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Vets getting cut are going to have to swallow hard and take what they can get with most teams close to the salary cap.   We ll probably see soon what the Jets offered Cook.  That said, I doubt the Jets cut Mosely after he restructured his deal, especially with them needing him to run the defense.   A replacement isn’t obvious on the roster so they’d have to sign someone who wouldn’t know the defense.   He is here for at least one more year IMO.

Yes, plus he's good, lol.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If he refuses to restructure he needs to be cut.  This is a business not a charity.  

He should restructure but it being a business is why he won't be cut. He gives the Jets the best chance to win. That's why he won't be cut.

• Upvote 2

On 7/29/2023 at 8:07 AM, 32EBoozer said:

4. One and only one cut-down deadline.

One of this year's proposed resolutions was to change the procedure of how each team's roster is reduced from the 90 players with which it starts training camp to the regular-season limit of 53. The fact that 25 different teams – including the Buccaneers – submitted this proposal, it was obviously going to pass.

The league used to have teams trim down to the regular-season limit on three separate cut dates, and then in recent years reduced that to two. Now it will all happen at once, on the Tuesday following the last week of preseason games. This year, the deadline for final roster cuts will be on August 29.

Allowing teams to maintain rosters of up to 90 players through the entire preseason provides greater flexibility late in the preseason, when many established veterans are held out to reduce the risk of injury. It also gives teams more time to develop players, which has taken on added importance with the expansion of practice squads and the new rules allowing game day elevations of those practice squad players.

Here's a rundown of all the rules changes and proposals approved by the owners on Tuesday:

Did I miss something?  Where is the rundown of all the rules changes?

On 7/29/2023 at 2:16 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Unfortunately, Kwon is no longer an option.  He signed with the Steelers.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I totally disagree. The Jets have SB aspirations and they're going to cut the leader of their D during TC?  That makes no sense!  The old adage "Cutting off your nose to spite your face" would apply in that situation.  They'd have a dead money cap hit of just under $15 million and the $6-$7 million they saved wouldn't do them any good whatsoever, because they wouldn't be able to find a replacement.  They're thin at LB as it is, and you want to cut their best LB?

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Thanks!

The owners are strange ducks.  From the article:

Several more proposals were not approved. That included a proposal to make roughing the passer reviewable.

A proposal to replace onside kicks with a fourth-and-20 deep inside a team’s own territory was not approved. A similar rule has been used in the XFL this spring. There is a desire among owners to improve onside kick recovery rates, per the NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero. In 2022, only 4% of attempts were recovered by the kicking team, marking an all-time low. But no changes to the rule are coming in 2023.

Additionally, a proposed rule change allowing for an emergency QB was not approved. Teams are allowed to carry only 46 active players on game day. Many teams elect to include only two quarterbacks among those 46. The proposal would’ve allowed teams to add a 47th player, but that player would have to be a quarterback. The league used to have a similar rule, but it was abolished in 2011. The failed proposal came after both active QBs on the 49ers roster suffered injuries in the NFC championship game.

Why wouldn't the owners want the roughing the passer called reviewable?  I think that probably most teams in the league have been victimized by really bad calls by the officials on this.  Were they afraid that it might lead to more hurt QBs?

How did they think that doing away with the onside kick and replacing it with giving the ball to the kicking team with a 4th and 20 deep in their own territory would improve the onside kick recovery rates?  If they had done away with the onside kick, it probably never would have come back.

Similarly, why would they be against having a 3rd (emergency) QB available?  That makes no sense to me.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I totally disagree. The Jets have SB aspirations and they're going to cut the leader of their D during TC?  That makes no sense!  The old adage "Cutting off your nose to spite your face" would apply in that situation.  They'd have a dead money cap hit of just under $15 million and the $6-$7 million they saved wouldn't do them any good whatsoever, because they wouldn't be able to find a replacement.  They're thin at LB as it is, and you want to cut their best LB?

Cut and bring back much cheaper would be my ideal end result, yes.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Cut and bring back much cheaper would be my ideal end result, yes.

Signing elsewhere, He’d have to pack up his family & move right before school starts or leave the fam in NJ & try and get home 1 or 2 days/week. Living out of a hotel or AB&B for awhile.

Jets have pressure points to push.

• Upvote 1