OT: RIP Paul Reubens (Pee Wee Herman)

Paul Reubens dead: Pee-wee Herman actor was 70

Paul Reubens, the actor who made millions around the world laugh with his Pee-Wee Herman character, has died. He was 70.

“Last night we said farewell to Paul Reubens, an iconic American actor, comedian, writer and producer whose beloved character Pee-wee Herman delighted generations of children and adults with his positivity, whimsy and belief in the importance of kindness,” a statement on his official Instagram account read.

The cause of death was cancer, according to the statement.

“Paul bravely and privately fought cancer for years with his trademark tenacity and wit. A gifted and prolific talent, he will forever live in the comedy pantheon and in our hearts as a treasured friend and man of remarkable character and generosity of spirit.”

The Instagram post included a quote from Reubens directly to be shared with his fans after his passing: “Please accept my apology for not going public with what I’ve been facing the last six years. I have always felt a huge amount of love and respect from my friends, fans and supporters. I have loved you all so much and enjoyed making art for you.”

Reubens’ career began in the 1970s after he joined comedy troupe the Groundlings in Los Angeles as an improv comedian and stage actor.

The creator and star of the subversive 1986 to 1990 TV series “Pee-wee’s Playhouse” revisited his iconic, giddy Pee-wee character on occasion over the years, including in the 2016 Netflix movie “Pee-Wee’s Big Holiday.”

In 2010 he also brought him back for a live Broadway installment of “The Pee-wee Herman Show,” which was filmed for HBO and received a Primetime Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special.

The performer has also flexed his acting chops with broader roles beyond his most memorable part, including arcs on shows like “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” “Gotham” and “The Blacklist.”

https://nypost.com/2023/07/31/paul-reubens-dead-pee-wee-herman-actor-was-70/

• Sympathy 11
  • Ugh 1

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Paul Reubens dead: Pee-wee Herman actor was 70

Paul Reubens, the actor who made millions around the world laugh with his Pee-Wee Herman character, has died. He was 70.

“Last night we said farewell to Paul Reubens, an iconic American actor, comedian, writer and producer whose beloved character Pee-wee Herman delighted generations of children and adults with his positivity, whimsy and belief in the importance of kindness,” a statement on his official Instagram account read.

The cause of death was cancer, according to the statement.

“Paul bravely and privately fought cancer for years with his trademark tenacity and wit. A gifted and prolific talent, he will forever live in the comedy pantheon and in our hearts as a treasured friend and man of remarkable character and generosity of spirit.”

The Instagram post included a quote from Reubens directly to be shared with his fans after his passing: “Please accept my apology for not going public with what I’ve been facing the last six years. I have always felt a huge amount of love and respect from my friends, fans and supporters. I have loved you all so much and enjoyed making art for you.”

Reubens’ career began in the 1970s after he joined comedy troupe the Groundlings in Los Angeles as an improv comedian and stage actor.

The creator and star of the subversive 1986 to 1990 TV series “Pee-wee’s Playhouse” revisited his iconic, giddy Pee-wee character on occasion over the years, including in the 2016 Netflix movie “Pee-Wee’s Big Holiday.”

In 2010 he also brought him back for a live Broadway installment of “The Pee-wee Herman Show,” which was filmed for HBO and received a Primetime Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special.

The performer has also flexed his acting chops with broader roles beyond his most memorable part, including arcs on shows like “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” “Gotham” and “The Blacklist.”

https://nypost.com/2023/07/31/paul-reubens-dead-pee-wee-herman-actor-was-70/

wasnt he a child toucher or something?

• Thumb Down 1

Peewee truly was an influencer on kids.  

Unfortunately, the X-rated theater of the incident in Sarasota was located within walking distance from my house as a kid.   Used to pass by it almost every day.  That gross dive was torn down a longggg time ago… but it is always part of my memory when it comes to Paul Reubens.

The first time I saw him was in a Cheech and Chong movie where he played a manic depressive psycho. The part I remember best was him apologizing to both Cheech and Chong when they were in a padded room saying sorry, over and over and in classic Pee Wee he comes back in and screams I'm not sorry, Ha. 

I actually caught his live show at the comedy celler in NY before he blew up. He was giving out little toys to the audience and then say, what did you expect, a car (Oprah had just recently given cars out to everyone in her audience). The guy was very original. This is so sad to hear of him passing. 

• Upvote 3