Schweitzer at center

Bronx

The QB center exchange isn’t something that you want to practice for the first time during a game.  

They are practicing. 

beat guys aren’t supposed to reveal lineups from camp so we are getting 5% of the information. 

• Upvote 1

They are now openly saying they wish they'd made Zach Wilson actually "earn" the starting job the gifted him in '21.

I guess Tippman is the beneficary of this new tough love meritocracy.

Either that or he's shown nothing so far and may not even beat out a career backup in Schweitzer for #2 on the depth chart.

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

They are now openly saying they wish they'd made Zach Wilson actually "earn" the starting job the gifted him in '21.

I guess Tippman is the beneficary of this new tough love meritocracy.

Either that or he's shown nothing so far and may not even beat out a career backup in Schweitzer for #2 on the depth chart.

Tippman is a pretty big guy for a center. It could he’d be a better guard.

6 hours ago, dbatesman said:

to me, it's Actually Good that we spent a 2nd round pick on a plug and play position of serious need and the guy can't beat out two JAGs

This.

I don’t get the homer spin that it’s not bad Tippman seems like a total project who isn’t even contention against the guys we literally drafted him to be an upgrade over.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

32 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Just like Becton had to drop weight, we need him to drop an inch or four of height and he’ll be fine. 6’6” center haha WTF?  Zack ever plays behind him he will drill him in his medulla oblongata basically pithing him like a frog. 

momma GIF

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Because it's been two weeks into camp. 

Nobody is writing him off.

But it’s weird so many are pushing back in the idea that it’s objectively bad that even this early the guy is third string not even sniffing the starting role.

If we went back to draft night and posted that he’d struggle to even get reps from McGovern in camp people would have lost their minds.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 2

Can't help but be a bit disappointed that Tippman isn't lighting it up.  I like JD going high upside in the draft but with AR we really are win now, like right now.

The Giants appeared to have struck gold when they drafted center John Michael Schmitz with the 57th pick this past April’s draft. Schmitz was touted as the top center in the class but was the second one taken off the board, behind Wisconsin's Joe Tippmann.

No matter, as the Giants were seemingly pleased with having landed Schmitz. New York has struggled with finding pieces to fit along the offensive line, and arguably the position they’ve struggled the most to keep a consistent player at is center, where they haven't had the same opening-day starter two years in a row since Weston Richburg did so in 2015 and 2016.

Adding Schmitz as a Day 1 plug-and-play starter at center is one of Joe Schoen’s best offseason moves, as it potentially solidifies the position for the next decade and gives quarterback Daniel Jones some stability up front.

59 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Can't help but be a bit disappointed that Tippman isn't lighting it up.  I like JD going high upside in the draft but with AR we really are win now, like right now.

The Giants appeared to have struck gold when they drafted center John Michael Schmitz with the 57th pick this past April’s draft. Schmitz was touted as the top center in the class but was the second one taken off the board, behind Wisconsin's Joe Tippmann.

No matter, as the Giants were seemingly pleased with having landed Schmitz. New York has struggled with finding pieces to fit along the offensive line, and arguably the position they’ve struggled the most to keep a consistent player at is center, where they haven't had the same opening-day starter two years in a row since Weston Richburg did so in 2015 and 2016.

Adding Schmitz as a Day 1 plug-and-play starter at center is one of Joe Schoen’s best offseason moves, as it potentially solidifies the position for the next decade and gives quarterback Daniel Jones some stability up front.

Would really suck if Tippman sucks and Schmitz is a perennial pro bowler or even plus-level starter.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

wait how is Tippman not going to be starting week1? or by week 5?? what a travesty.

LOL

i told you guys it was too important a position to trust to a rookie considering what we're trying to do here. and thats playoffs and SB. there is nothing wrong with him sitting and learning this year. and by next year if he starts and plays really well nobody will care he sat his whole rookie year. 

its going to be McG week 1 till the end of the year.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, doitny said:

wait how is Tippman not going to be starting week1? or by week 5?? what a travesty.

LOL

i told you guys it was too important a position to trust to a rookie considering what we're trying to do here. and thats playoffs and SB. there is nothing wrong with him sitting and learning this year. and by next year if he starts and plays really well nobody will care he sat his whole rookie year. 

its going to be McG week 1 till the end of the year.

Oddly, Joe Douglas' strength presents itself as a weakness. 

The OL has been my biggest concern all along. Hopefully, Rodgers' experience will help the OL flourish. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, Larz said:

McGovern was always going to get the first reps. 

Saleh said that the oline evaluation was going to last a month. 

I’m happy that for a change the jets can develop a player and don’t have to throw him to the wolves week 1. 

Yes!  It’s called building a pipeline, something that perennial winners do.  The problem with going “all-in” on a season and loading up with “now” moves is that you’re screwed for years afterward - something that may only be tolerable if it results in a championship (a la the Rams).

Maccagnan was celebrated (at the time) for going all-in for 2015, but was later burned in effigy when the team stunk for the rest of his tenure because his win-now moves had no shelf life - and didn’t even result in a playoff appearance.

I kind of like that Joe D. still has an eye on the future even as he’s “going for it” with Rodgers.

• Upvote 2

Tippman not starting would be an issue if we didn’t have 2 capable guys who aren’t bad on the roster who are very likely to both make the team. Yes ideally you’d like to have seen Tippman win that job. But as a win now team, not starting a rookie C is understandable. I think Tippman’s career will be just fine. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised to see him start sometime this season. But if he has to redshirt and be depth on the IOL, so be it.

• Upvote 1