..cut candidates --- ‘changing their Fate’

jtomm

Jets Cut Candidates Highlighted for ‘Changing Their Fate’ at Camp

by  Michael Obermuller

1. Give me a Jets player that you thought would get cut before the start of training camp that has already changed their fate in your mind.

Boy Green:

This might sound like a weird answer, but I’ll say wide receiver Jason Brownlee. I thought he was firmly on the bubble heading in but at this current moment, I believe he’s a roster lock barring something crazy.The Jets have a Tony Adams-like love for the young man, and this could be a hidden gem that the Jets get credit for many years to come.Quite frankly, he has the potential to be a long-time future starter for the Jets, and I could totally see it. This kid has wowed me. He is going to be someone to keep an eye on now and in the future.

Obermuller:

Brownlee makes sense, and I agree with that assessment. I’m caught between two players myself — running back Zonovan Knight and cornerback Bryce Hall.I’m more confident Hall makes the roster after the Week 1 suspension to Brandin Echols, but I had the former starter pegged as a cut candidate before that news came about. With a surplus of cap space and a clear need of experience at backup cornerback, I’d be shocked if Hall is cut now.Knight, on the other hand, has seemingly outplayed Michael Carter and rookie Israel Abanikanda at camp. That means even if the Jets sign Dalvin Cook, maybe Knight stays and someone like Carter goes instead.

2. Is there a Jets player that you were really confident would make the team that you now believe could be cut?

BG:

Michael Carter, the running back. I thought for sure he’d be a part of this team but I’m leaning towards a future trade or cut.The Cook news could certainly affect this dramatically, but perhaps regardless of the veteran, MC could find his way out.They have Breece Hall, “Izzy,” and Knight. How many running backs will they keep? Four? Three and a fullback? Who knows.

MO:

Based on my last response, I can’t argue with the Carter selection. Mine may sound even crazier, but my gut is telling me Mekhi Becton won’t be on the final roster.Technically, he’d probably be traded away, not cut, but his frustrations with the coaching staff combined with his lackluster play coming off knee surgery is trending toward an unhappy ending in New York.Everyone wanted this to turn into a comeback story for the ages, but as of now, Becton can barely beat out Billy Turner for a starting job. I’m just not seeing it.

VideoBlue.svgRelated video: Why Haven't The Jets Signed Dalvin Cook To A Deal Yet? (Dailymotion)

>>   https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jets-cut-candidates-highlighted-for-changing-their-fate-at-camp/ar-AA1eBuiv

If this many guys are off the roster from Douglas first two drafts…oh man. I think regardless of record this year you have to consider making a switch. No excuses for coming away with basically nothing in two drafts with that many picks.

• Thumb Down 5
  • Ugh 3
  • More Ugh 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

If this many guys are off the roster from Douglas first two drafts…oh man. I think regardless of record this year you have to consider making a switch. No excuses for coming away with basically nothing in two drafts with that many picks.

IF?  Why is that initial draft better today than it would be if Bryce is moved?   Those that are involved are too stupid to see that draft was terrible today?
Jets get to 11, 12 whatever win total and JDs still in trouble?  

Sure 

• Upvote 2

Logically, I get the Carter mention and agree with it. That said, by all accounts he's enormously liked and respected in the locker room, and for that reason alone (given the desire for the team to be focused on their high expectations) I'd be shocked if he's moved. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, slats said:

If this team lives up to its current playoff expectations this year, no one but you and a select few will give a **** about his first two drafts (the first during a pandemic with a coach on his way out the door). Big picture: he took over a team that was absolute garbage and made them -at the very least- competitive. Compare the roster today with the roster he had when he arrived and get back to me. 

If the Jets win the AFCE, host a playoff game, most certainly, the offseason will be filled w/ questions about JD's job security because he missed a few picks early on.  

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, slats said:

If this team lives up to its current playoff expectations this year, no one but you and a select few will give a **** about his first two drafts (the first during a pandemic with a coach on his way out the door). Big picture: he took over a team that was absolute garbage and made them -at the very least- competitive. Compare the roster today with the roster he had when he arrived and get back to me. 

9-8 wild card would not ring confidence. Division title or title game/ Super Bowl appearance. Drafts matter. 

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

you're suggesting JD should get fired even if the Jets have the best season in decades as a result of his later picks?

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The draft is kind of a crapshoot though. As bad as his first two drafts were, last year’s netted us double barrel ROYs, Breece Hall, and three other guys who look to be solid contributors at minimum. The real problem is that a GM’s first and most important job is finding a QB, and Douglas screwed that up so bad he had to fly across the country to beg for the privilege of trading three premium picks for a 39 year old. He’d better hope it works out.

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Hex said:

you're suggesting JD should get fired even if the Jets have the best season in decades as a result of his later picks?

I’m not suggesting anything. With the Jets being in win now mode I think it’s fair to assess his drafts after the conclusion of this season. This season I think expectations have to be at least playoffs and 10 wins minimum no? 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The draft is kind of a crapshoot though. As bad as his first two drafts were, last year’s netted us double barrel ROYs, Breece Hall, and three other guys who look to be solid contributors at minimum. The real problem is that a GM’s first and most important job is finding a QB, and Douglas screwed that up so bad he had to fly across the country to beg for the privilege of trading three premium picks for a 39 year old. He’d better hope it works out.

Sure. I think an assessment is fair after the conclusion of this season. I’m Sure Rodgers will have some input too.

I'll throw one who may surprise us: Duane Brown. Or they can put him on PUP/IR to start the season.

Cutting him saves us 4.9 million in cap space. If (big IF) Becton is healthy, that would mean we roll with Becton, Mitchell, Turner and Warren on the 53. Turner can also play G and AVT can be our 5th "emergency" OT. That would leave room for 2 more interior guys (ex. Tippmann and Schweitzer) to give us 9 o-linemen on the 53 coming out of camp.

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Two premium picks. The premium pick he got back negates the premium pick he gave up. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I’m not suggesting anything. With the Jets being in win now mode I think it’s fair to assess his drafts after the conclusion of this season. This season I think expectations have to be at least playoffs and 10 wins minimum no? 

well yea but you said regardless of success the Jets have this season, and that is what I was referring to. 

6 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'll throw one who may surprise us: Duane Brown. Or they can put him on PUP/IR to start the season.

Cutting him saves us 4.9 million in cap space. If (big IF) Becton is healthy, that would mean we roll with Becton, Mitchell, Turner and Warren on the 53. Turner can also play G and AVT can be our 5th "emergency" OT. That would leave room for 2 more interior guys (ex. Tippmann and Schweitzer) to give us 9 o-linemen on the 53 coming out of camp.

I have a problem with keeping Becton and cutting Brown.  And it has nothing to do with ability, it has everything to do with ability to stay on the field.  Brown is recovering from shoulder surgery, but has proven to be a guy who can stay on the field.  Becton has proven to be a guy who can't stay on the field.  Keeping Becton and cutting Brown is playing with fire, IMHO.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Lol. Sure they are going to fire him if he makes the playoffs.  Dumb view in my opinion

14 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Why? His first drafts as a GM and the first with covid restrictions. His third draft wasn't blown, in fact it was quite good, and the team has a good young roster despite early blunders. No gm is perfect. If you're being objective you can't look at whiffs, and not also consider home runs draft or otherwise. He had growing pains like anyone else new on a  job. The current product is far better than what he started with.