IMHO - 6 actual Man vs Man Roster Battles to Watch in HoF Game Tomorrow

1- Boyle is Rodgers buddy so he will stick around.  Streveler is a practice squad guy.

2- Schweitzer is the odd man out as they like McGovern and Turner is another Rodgers buddy.

3- Jefferson and Thomas are locks.  The other 2 guys are expendible.

4- Brownlee is a lock and is playing so well he might jump guys on the deopth chart and actually play in the regular season.

5- Dont know much about any of these guys.  Dont think it matters much.

6- Ashyton Davis is a lock.  Great special teams guy and a favorite of this regime.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 1

I'd be very surprised if Q.Jefferson isnt a lock.  He fits this system and rotation very well and he was a priority FA signing.  

I'd also be surprised if all the 3 OLmen mentioned dont make the team as well.  It feels to me that guys like Senat, Pankey, Laing, Glaser, Colon, Cajuste are just camp bodies.  So I think they keep 10 but probably dont dress 10 every week.

I'd be surprised if Brownlee isnt on the team too.  Seems to be earning it for sure. 

• Upvote 3

How many are players can be protected on the practice squad each week now?  

Also didn't they pass a rule for activating a practice squad player in game (maybe QB only)?

That will affect how active rosters are built.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'd be very surprised if Q.Jefferson isnt a lock.  He fits this system and rotation very well and he was a priority FA signing.  

I'd also be surprised if all the 3 OLmen mentioned dont make the team as well.  It feels to me that guys like Senat, Pankey, Laing, Glaser, Colon, Cajuste are just camp bodies.  So I think they keep 10 but probably dont dress 10 every week.

I'd be surprised if Brownlee isnt on the team too.  Seems to be earning it for sure. 

I'd be shocked if they keep 10 on the 53 coming out of camp. I heard a few weeks back on NFL radio that only something like 1 team in the past 10 years (or some long time) had done that. 9 seems to be the going max league wide. 8 is more common. That's why you want guys that can play multiple positions and sides starting and backing up.

Putting some on practice squad is a different story.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

In my humble opinion, these are the 6 most interesting and hotly contest roster spot battles to watch.  Spot where 2 or 3 players seem to be battling for 1 spot on the roster. 

This list doesn't include starting spot battles or players who are pretty much guaranteed to be on the roster barring injury.  

1. 3rd QUARTERBACK
    CHRIS STREVELER VS TIM BOYLE VS VETERAN BACKUP TBD
    Will the Jets keep 3 QBs on the active roster? Boyle is a veteran backup who knows the Hackett / Rodgers system from his time in Green Bay.  Streveler is approaching cult hero status and brings a certain skillset that could be useful in an emergency QB.  Both are also competing against all the other QBs that will be released  at the end of the preseason.  Both  Streveler or Boyle should play a lot in the preseason, so it will be fun to watch
  2. 8th & 9th OFFENSIVE LINEMAN
    WES SCHWEEITZER VS CONNOR MCGOVERN VS BILLY TURNER
    7 offensive linemen are locks: Brown, Becton, Tomlinson, Vera-Tucker, Tippmann, Warren, & Mitchell.  If the Jets keep 10 Offensive Line, all three will likely make it. If they keep 9, somebody is going to be the odd man out.  Schweitzer and Turner have been running with the 1st team much of the last week.  Which of these 3, if any, DOESN'T play vs Cleveland might be more telling than anything else.
  3. 3rd & (maybe) 4th DEFENISVE TACKLE
    QUINTON JEFFERSON VS SOLOMON THOMAS VS ISAIAH MACK VS TANZEL SMART 
    Quinnen Williams and Al Woods are locks, With 6 defensive ends/edges seemingly safe bets, and with the positional versatility of Michael Clemons and John Franklin-Myers, can the Jets afford to carry 4 defensive tackles?  If they keep 4, Jefferson and Thomas seem like the best bets, but if they keep only 3, it will be a Battle Royale all preseason for 1 spot
  4. 6th WIDE RECEIVER
    JASON BROWNLEE VS IRVIN CHARLES VS MALIK TAYLOR VS XAVIER GIBSON VS ALEX ERICKSON VS  TJ LUTHER
    5 WR spots are virtual locks - Wilson, Davis, Lazard, Hardman, and Cobb.  Yes, I think Cobb is a lock.  So that leaves 1 spot at most.  Brownlee has been the breakout star of camp so far, but can he keep it up?  Irvin Charles and Malik Taylor are big athletic guys who can help on special teams.  Gibson was an UDFA who had a lot of teams interested in  him - he was listed as 2nd team PR and KR on the 1st unofficial depth chart.  Erickson is a veteran who has caught a lot of passes and can also return kicks - he's also had his name mentioned in camp.  Luther seems like the longest shot, but he has also garnered some nice comments in camp.  HOLY CRAP! We will have fun watching how all this shakes out until the very last cut
  5. 5th LINEBACKER
    HAMSAH NASIRILDEEN VS CHAZZ SURRATT VS CALEB JOHNSON VS MAALIK HALL VS CLAUDIN CHERELUS
    4 linebackers are locks - Mosley, Williams, Sherwood, and Barnes.  Assuming the Jets carry at least 5, there will be a fight for the last spot or maybe 2.  Nasirildeen has been around for a couple of years and, frankly, hasn't done much.  Surratt is a former 3rd round pick of the Vikings who has talent but underperformed. The 3 rookie UDFAs: Johnson, Hall, and Cherelus are all intriguing  possibilities.  Johnson was productive at UCLA and Miami.  Hall is a DII player with impressive athlletic numbers.  Cherelus played at Alcorn State and might be a year away physically.
  6. 4th Safety
    ASHTYN DAVIS VS TREY DEAN VS MARQUIS WATERS VS JARRICK BERNARD-CONVERSE
    Jordan Whitehead, Adrian Amos, and Tony Adams seem like sure things at Safety.  Ashtyn Davis is an athletic veteran who might be ready to make a stronger contribution.  Dean and Waters were coveted UDFA signings. Both are listed as 3rd strong on the current unofficial depth chart.  Bernard-Converse is a 6th round pick with talent but has battled injuries.  He can play CB and S.  Jets may try to stash him on IR for 2023.  

I  do not think Cobb is a lock at  all.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

7 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

That is a hotly debated topic among Jets fans right now.  

As @CTJetsFan mentioned he has a high cap number and vets are guaranteed a spot from Day 1. I think he is mostly here for helping the other WRs develop and make the transition easier for Rodgers.  I think  Cobb is the perfect veteran Practice squad  guy and 2 of the young guys make the  opening roster.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'd be shocked if they keep 10 on the 53 coming out of camp. I heard a few weeks back on NFL radio that only something like 1 team in the past 10 years (or some long time) had done that. 9 seems to be the going max league wide. 8 is more common. That's why you want guys that can play multiple positions and sides starting and backing up.

Putting some on practice squad is a different story.

The Jets had 11 DL on the opening 53 last year, and had 10 on the roster for the majority of the season:

• IDL (5): Quinnen Williams, John Franklin-Myers, Sheldon Rankins, Solomon Thomas, Nathan Shepherd
  • EDGE (6): Carl Lawson, Jermaine Johnson, Jacob Martin, Bryce Huff, Micheal Clemons, Vinny Curry

Saleh likes to rotate at least 8 DL, and sometimes 9, on game days. So keeping 10 is definitely on the cards.

We have 6 edges in Lawson, JFM, JJ, Huff, McDonald and Clemons who will be on the team, and at least 4 DTs who will likely be there too in Williams, Woods, Jefferson and Thomas.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

The Jets had 11 DL on the opening 53 last year, and had 10 on the roster for the majority of the season:

• IDL (5): Quinnen Williams, John Franklin-Myers, Sheldon Rankins, Solomon Thomas, Nathan Shepherd
  • EDGE (6): Carl Lawson, Jermaine Johnson, Jacob Martin, Bryce Huff, Micheal Clemons, Vinny Curry

Saleh likes to rotate at least 8 DL, and sometimes 9, on game days. So keeping 10 is definitely on the cards.

We have 6 edges in Lawson, JFM, JJ, Huff, McDonald and Clemons who will be on the team, and at least 4 DTs who will likely be there too in Williams, Woods, Jefferson and Thomas.

I was talking about o-linemen

36 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

LOL

Who believes for a second that Aaron Rodgers is giving up $35 million guaranteed just for the Jets to turn around and cut his best friend?

Fair point. My thought was if they cut him they would keep him around the org in another capacity (ex. asst WR coach).

Remains to be seen what he still has in the tank physically.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

My bad. Yes, 9 is probably the magic number on the Oline, but the Jets could actually keep 10 there this year.

Actually posted in another thread about potential surprise cuts that Duane Brown could be one of them and we carry 9.

Cutting him saves us 4.9 million in cap space. If (big IF) Becton is healthy, that would mean we roll with Becton, Mitchell, Turner and Warren on the 53. Turner can also play G and AVT can be our 5th "emergency" OT. That would leave room for 2 more interior guys (ex. Tippmann and Schweitzer) to give us 9 o-linemen on the 53 coming out of camp.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

In my humble opinion, these are the 6 most interesting and hotly contest roster spot battles to watch.  Spot where 2 or 3 players seem to be battling for 1 spot on the roster. 

This list doesn't include starting spot battles or players who are pretty much guaranteed to be on the roster barring injury.  

1. 3rd QUARTERBACK
    CHRIS STREVELER VS TIM BOYLE VS VETERAN BACKUP TBD
    Will the Jets keep 3 QBs on the active roster? Boyle is a veteran backup who knows the Hackett / Rodgers system from his time in Green Bay.  Streveler is approaching cult hero status and brings a certain skillset that could be useful in an emergency QB.  Both are also competing against all the other QBs that will be released  at the end of the preseason.  Both  Streveler or Boyle should play a lot in the preseason, so it will be fun to watch
  2. 8th & 9th OFFENSIVE LINEMAN
    WES SCHWEEITZER VS CONNOR MCGOVERN VS BILLY TURNER
    7 offensive linemen are locks: Brown, Becton, Tomlinson, Vera-Tucker, Tippmann, Warren, & Mitchell.  If the Jets keep 10 Offensive Line, all three will likely make it. If they keep 9, somebody is going to be the odd man out.  Schweitzer and Turner have been running with the 1st team much of the last week.  Which of these 3, if any, DOESN'T play vs Cleveland might be more telling than anything else.
  3. 3rd & (maybe) 4th DEFENISVE TACKLE
    QUINTON JEFFERSON VS SOLOMON THOMAS VS ISAIAH MACK VS TANZEL SMART 
    Quinnen Williams and Al Woods are locks, With 6 defensive ends/edges seemingly safe bets, and with the positional versatility of Michael Clemons and John Franklin-Myers, can the Jets afford to carry 4 defensive tackles?  If they keep 4, Jefferson and Thomas seem like the best bets, but if they keep only 3, it will be a Battle Royale all preseason for 1 spot
  4. 6th WIDE RECEIVER
    JASON BROWNLEE VS IRVIN CHARLES VS MALIK TAYLOR VS XAVIER GIBSON VS ALEX ERICKSON VS  TJ LUTHER
    5 WR spots are virtual locks - Wilson, Davis, Lazard, Hardman, and Cobb.  Yes, I think Cobb is a lock.  So that leaves 1 spot at most.  Brownlee has been the breakout star of camp so far, but can he keep it up?  Irvin Charles and Malik Taylor are big athletic guys who can help on special teams.  Gibson was an UDFA who had a lot of teams interested in  him - he was listed as 2nd team PR and KR on the 1st unofficial depth chart.  Erickson is a veteran who has caught a lot of passes and can also return kicks - he's also had his name mentioned in camp.  Luther seems like the longest shot, but he has also garnered some nice comments in camp.  HOLY CRAP! We will have fun watching how all this shakes out until the very last cut
  5. 5th LINEBACKER
    HAMSAH NASIRILDEEN VS CHAZZ SURRATT VS CALEB JOHNSON VS MAALIK HALL VS CLAUDIN CHERELUS
    4 linebackers are locks - Mosley, Williams, Sherwood, and Barnes.  Assuming the Jets carry at least 5, there will be a fight for the last spot or maybe 2.  Nasirildeen has been around for a couple of years and, frankly, hasn't done much.  Surratt is a former 3rd round pick of the Vikings who has talent but underperformed. The 3 rookie UDFAs: Johnson, Hall, and Cherelus are all intriguing  possibilities.  Johnson was productive at UCLA and Miami.  Hall is a DII player with impressive athlletic numbers.  Cherelus played at Alcorn State and might be a year away physically.
  6. 4th Safety
    Jordan Whitehead, Adrian Amos, and Tony Adams seem like sure things at Safety.  Ashtyn Davis is an athletic veteran who might be ready to make a stronger contribution.  Dean and Waters were coveted UDFA signings. Both are listed as 3rd strong on the current unofficial depth chart.  Bernard-Converse is a 6th round pick with talent but has battled injuries.  He can play CB and S.  Jets may try to stash him on IR for 2023.  

Brownlee Book it! Free Jay Jay B!!!

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think this is only a "competition" in the minds of a subset of fans.

Boyle was brought in here to be the #3 behind AR and Wilson, in the system he knows, with the O-Co he knows, and the #1 QB he knows.

Streveler is a camp body lacking in actual NFL-level skillsets, nothing more.  He's here to take hits so AR and Wilson don't have to.

I fully expect AR and Wilson to be active on gamedays, with Boyle the emergency QB and Zach sideline-helper system-wise while watching AR, and no late-camp backup QB signings (sorry @jgb).

If Rodgers goes down, we see Boyle before too long.

• WTF? 2
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Actually posted in another thread about potential surprise cuts that Duane Brown could be one of them and we carry 9.

Cutting him saves us 4.9 million in cap space. If (big IF) Becton is healthy, that would mean we roll with Becton, Mitchell, Turner and Warren on the 53. Turner can also play G and AVT can be our 5th "emergency" OT. That would leave room for 2 more interior guys (ex. Tippmann and Schweitzer) to give us 9 o-linemen on the 53 coming out of camp.

Cutting Brown would be harsh considering he delayed surgery and played through injury last year even though his money was guaranteed. He was held up as an example of a great teammate and to turn around and cut him this year might not go over well in the locker room. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Cutting Brown would be harsh considering he delayed surgery and played through injury last year even though his money was guaranteed. He was held up as an example of a great teammate and to turn around and cut him this year might not go over well in the locker room. 

Agree, but it's a cold business. 

Depending on how his shoulder is progressing, he could also end up on PUP or IR for a few weeks to start the season therefore not counting against the 53 man roster

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:
  • 5th LINEBACKER
  • 4th Safety

These two stick out to me as positions where Special Teams performance will matter.  Let's not forget that when we get to the 3rd level of the depth chart that's when Brant Boyer pops his head into the room and provides some input.  A consistent, capable Special Teamer could get the nod over a slightly better Safety or LB when we're talking about a S5 or LB5.  These are also the spots where the Jets make some interesting tradeoffs based on their defensive alignments (i.e. going into games with only 4 LBs but 7 CBs, etc.)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

All I know is this and it boggles the mind thinking about it.  Each team right now have roughly 100 players in camp and almost half of these players won't be on roster of the 32 NFL teams come week 1.

There's no doubt some of the cuts this year will be tough to stomach.  It's actually a good thing, but for the first time in a while the Jets roster has been leveled up enough that they'll be cutting some good players.  Guys who couldn't make it as a third string DLineman could become a backup someplace else.  The Jets knew early on that Mims wouldn't be in the mix for WR6 here, and now he's essentially WR4 in Detroit.

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2- Schweitzer is the odd man out as they like McGovern and Turner is another Rodgers buddy.

Why can't they keep all 3?   My guess is that the Jets will keep 10 Offensive linemen. Brown, Becton, Max, Warren, Tippman, Vera Tucker, Tomlinson, Schwitzer, McGovern and Turner.

• Upvote 1