Sauce #23 on NFL top 100

Larz

Looking for video. 

N/A
Sauce Gardner
New York Jets · CB

Sauce brought his skills as a shutdown cornerback to the next level in his rookie year and earned Defensive Rookie of the Year honors for his impressive play. After never giving up a touchdown while at Cincinnati, Gardner was almost perfect in his first NFL season, giving up only one score while leading the league in passes defensed (20), making it all but assured by season’s end that he’d be named DROY.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Vudu said:

Love Sauce! Thank you Houston

I wasn't on board with the position, but Sauce has more than proved the value. Stepped in started, locked down, made impact plays, isn't a distraction, is a team leader and ambassador. Not upset being wrong on that pick. What was Houston thinking taking a CB not named Sauce given the choice? At least I'm just some random schmo as opposed to a paid professional.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

To think he was ranked by his peers as the best cb in the league…..as a rookie….  crazy. 

As a prospect I knew he would be good. Didn’t think he was going to be this good this quick . Love me some sauce

Nobody could, kinda unprecedented, I think, 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I wasn't on board with the position, but Sauce has more than proved the value. Stepped in started, locked down, made impact plays, isn't a distraction, is a team leader and ambassador. Not upset being wrong on that pick. What was Houston thinking taking a CB not named Sauce given the choice? At least I'm just some random schmo as opposed to a paid professional.

Vocally wanted thibs checking in 

Ill Just Leave Tony Hale GIF

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

CB is a premium position in this league. Great pick. 

14 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Well that's you. Most of the league considers CB a premium position and in a pass happy league it's more important than ever. We just saw one win DROY. 

True, I saw Revis in his prime lock guys down, and teams just beat the Jets simply by throwing where he wasn't. Keep in mind an NFL GM traded 2 firsts + for Jamal Adams so opinions vary as do their value.

7 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

CB is a premium position in this league. Great pick. 

4 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

QB and elite pass rusher are the only positions I subscribe to as premium.

2 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Well that's you. Most of the league considers CB a premium position and in a pass happy league it's more important than ever. We just saw one win DROY. 

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

True, I saw Revis in his prime lock guys down, and teams just beat the Jets simply by throwing where he wasn't. Keep in mind an NFL GM traded 2 firsts + for Jamal Adams so opinions vary as do their value.

When it comes to premium positions, just follow the money. 

Highest Franchise Tag values:

1.  QB - $32.4M

2.  EDGE (LB/DE) - $20.9M / $19.7M

3.  WR - $19.7M

4.  DT - $18.9M

5.  LT (OL) - $18.2M

6.  CB - $18.1M

Highest median starter average salaries:

1. QB - $29.5M

2. WR1 - $17.3M

3. DT1 - $16.5M

4.  EDGE - $15M

5.  LT - $13.3M

6.  CB1 - $11.7M

After CB it drops off a good bit at Safety ($14.5M / $9M, respectively).

Conclusion:  It might be more accurate to say there’s only ONE premium position (QB).  But if you subscribe to the thinking that EDGE is premium too, then those other 4 positions have to be premium as well given how closely they’re lumped together. 

Anyone who is either:  1) Heavily involved in the passing game (QB/LT/WR) or 2) Heavily involved in STOPPING the opponent passing game (EDGE/CB/Pass-rushing DT) is premium in my eyes.  

• Upvote 1