Key Observations From Jets 21-16 Loss to Browns

Becton seemed to play well but I really dont understand him taking himself out of the game yet again.   It really seems like this game is just not for him, regardless of how much god given ability he has.  I dont see how he can ever be trusted as a teammate unless something drastically changes.

• Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 2

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Becton seemed to play well but I really dont understand him taking himself out of the game yet again.   It really seems like this game is just not for him, regardless of how much god given ability he has.  I dont see how he can ever be trusted as a teammate unless something drastically changes.

Did he ? He was on the FG team afterwards 

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, doitny said:

maybe because nobody watches the Center when they watch a football game. not sure how you give him a A plus without watching tape on him. 

plus last nights game was hard to watch with all the interviews. those interviews took away alot of replays to where you can take a look at the OL instead of following the ball.

that one interview with Revis when the Browns were driving was a killer. we kept extending the drive with penalties and you had no idea who made them cause they kept cutting back to Revis.

personal foul defense!. wait what who did it???.... TV cuts back to Revis. 

I didnt notice pressure coming up the middle.  I didnt see the pocket collapsing in the middle.

I take that as a very good sign that tippman was holding his own.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

Wait, Becton took himself out? He asked to come out? I must have missed that.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I didnt notice pressure coming up the middle.  I didnt see the pocket collapsing in the middle.

I take that as a very good sign that tippman was holding his own.

Against second and third string. If he ends up starting against the Bills, I want to see how he does against Oliver, Phillips, and Jones for a whole game. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

It’s not good. Claimed to have discomfort in the knee. Also said the turf there wasn’t good for men his size or with his injury. I can understand some hesitation from him considering his injury history, but at some point he’s going to have to trust that knee and just play. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Against second and third string. If he ends up starting against the Bills, I want to see how he does against Oliver, Phillips, and Jones for a whole game. 

That how it works for rookies in the 1st preseason game.  ID say Tippman was a major success in his 1st action.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

No. It didn’t happen. Some folks won’t let the facts get in the way of their Becton bashing agenda. 

Did Saleh say he was the one who took him out?

What I posted was based on Becton’s comments about his knee. He didn’t say “the staff didn’t like the turf” he said “he didn’t like the feel of the turf” so I’m curious if Saleh did take responsibility for the move to take him out?

43 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Wait, Becton took himself out? He asked to come out? I must have missed that.

10 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

No. It didn’t happen. Some folks won’t let the facts get in the way of their Becton bashing agenda. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/mekhi-becton-played-fewer-snaps-than-expected-after-a-little-discomfort-in-knee

The bad news is that Becton came out of the game after seven offensive snaps when he was expected to play 20-25 before departing. Becton did come back in on special teams, but head coach Robert Saleh said after the game that Becton’s knee “felt it a little bit” in his long-awaited return to the lineup. Becton acknowledged that he didn’t feel 100 percent when he spoke to reporters after the Hall of Fame Game.”

“That turf isn’t friendly to people of my size and my type of injury,” Becton said, via Andy Vasquez of NJ.com. “So I was feeling it in warmups so I just pulled myself a little early. I’m good, though. I’m straight. Just a little discomfort.”

• Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/mekhi-becton-played-fewer-snaps-than-expected-after-a-little-discomfort-in-knee

The bad news is that Becton came out of the game after seven offensive snaps when he was expected to play 20-25 before departing. Becton did come back in on special teams, but head coach Robert Saleh said after the game that Becton’s knee “felt it a little bit” in his long-awaited return to the lineup. Becton acknowledged that he didn’t feel 100 percent when he spoke to reporters after the Hall of Fame Game.”

“That turf isn’t friendly to people of my size and my type of injury,” Becton said, via Andy Vasquez of NJ.com. “So I was feeling it in warmups so I just pulled myself a little early. I’m good, though. I’m straight. Just a little discomfort.”

Ok, I would give him a pass. To be fair, this is an adjustment period and it's  preseason. I think this week will be a good measure on how well he holds up during practice. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

“That turf isn’t friendly to people of my size and my type of injury,” Becton said, via Andy Vasquez of NJ.com. “So I was feeling it in warmups so I just pulled myself a little early. I’m good, though. I’m straight. Just a little discomfort.”

Good call 🤦‍♂️

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OilfieldJet said:

I was disappointed in Brownlee. I guess I was excited by the camp hype, but he looked bad on his last few targets.

The OL in the second half sucked.

I see the exact opposite in Brownlee.

He looked explosive coming out of his cuts.  Showed soft hands - was just dealing with QB's getting him the ball a tad late.

From what I saw I was emboldened and impressed.

• Upvote 2

Pure rampant speculation here about Becton:

Is it possible he is keenly aware he may not be a member of the Jets organization for much longer and is making sure to protect himself during the preseason so he can showcase himself for next year? 

I mean if he doesn’t make it to the regular season and play some meaningful games, forget the Jets, isn’t his career basically over? Forget Free Agency next season, nobody is giving him a contract.

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

“That turf isn’t friendly to people of my size and my type of injury,” Becton said, via Andy Vasquez of NJ.com. “So I was feeling it in warmups so I just pulled myself a little early. I’m good, though. I’m straight. Just a little discomfort.”

Good call 🤦‍♂️

That is pretty worrisome.  That decision unto itself is no big deal, but it seems to be a theme with him - especially at a time when he's trying to prove something.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I see the exact opposite in Brownlee.

He looked explosive coming out of his cuts.  Showed soft hands - was just dealing with QB's getting him the ball a tad late.

From what I saw I was emboldened and impressed.

Brownlee had an ok night.  Caught the 1st 2 balls but struggled on 2 others.  One went right through his hands and hit him in the chest.  It is ok though.  Hes a rookie in his 1st game.

• Upvote 1