Becton’s “new normal” Concerning for Jets Fans While Zach Wilson is Limited to Five Attempts

Written by Glenn NaughtonZach-Wilson-end-zone-shot-scaled.jpg

Despite looking good in his first action since two years ago, Jets tackle Mekhi Becton may have raised some alarm bells in saying his “new normal” will be dealing with pain in his surgically repaired knee.  Expected to play 25 snaps against the Browns, Becton was pulled after just seven reps.

Meanwhile, the Zach Wilson “re-build” consisted of just five pass attempts, or two fewer than failed QB project Chris Streveler.

Meanwhile, there were some less experienced players who stepped up such as Chazz Surratt, Jamien Sherwood and Joe Tippmann who went wire to wire at center.

The post Becton’s “new normal” Concerning for Jets Fans While Zach Wilson is Limited to Five Attempts appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, JetNation said:

Written by Glenn NaughtonZach-Wilson-end-zone-shot-scaled.jpg

Despite looking good in his first action since two years ago, Jets tackle Mekhi Becton may have raised some alarm bells in saying his “new normal” will be dealing with pain in his surgically repaired knee.  Expected to play 25 snaps against the Browns, Becton was pulled after just seven reps.

Meanwhile, the Zach Wilson “re-build” consisted of just five pass attempts, or two fewer than failed QB project Chris Streveler.

Meanwhile, there were some less experienced players who stepped up such as Chazz Surratt, Jamien Sherwood and Joe Tippmann who went wire to wire at center.

The post Becton’s “new normal” Concerning for Jets Fans While Zach Wilson is Limited to Five Attempts appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

I hate to tell everyone this, but Becton's "new normal" was told to all of us after his injury last season.  We were told that Becton's knee would never again be the same, and that there would be a new "normal" for him.  

This is nothing new, at least to me.  IMHO, he will be retired by the time he is 30 years old.  The question is:  Will the new normal for Becton be good enough, and will his new normal be enough to keep him on the field for an entire game, and the entire season?

He played at an extremely high level for the 7 or 8 snaps he played yesterday, but as we all know, the best ability is availability!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

He was not “pulled”. He took himself out of the game. Same thing he repeatedly did as a rookie. He’s mentally weak. 

Actually both theories have been posted.

After his last play, he did come back on the 2 FGs.

Why isn’t anyone concerned that AVT didn’t play?  Is he mentally weak?  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

He was not “pulled”. He took himself out of the game. Same thing he repeatedly did as a rookie. He’s mentally weak. 

All that means is the coach's aren't very smart which we know.  Meaningless game if he felt uncomfortable it was good judgement to pull himself.   When it counts we can find out how mentally tough he is or isn't.  

• Upvote 2

Im sorry but yesterday would be the last day Becton played as a Jet. If we can trade him for a 7th, fine. If not, just cut him. Of course the Jets are probably concerned about getting sued, but this guy should be off the team. There was no justification to draft him in the first place over Wirfs. Just completely idiotic decision by JD, who has consistently made the wrong decision at OL the thing he values the most and should be best at.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, August said:

Becton in limited snaps looked good. Get him a few snaps then let him sit. We might need him this year. He could potentially be our starting LT. I see nothing wrong with him leaving last night, much ado about nothing. 

I would agree with you if he played in the last 2 years, but he didn't, and the Jets need to evaluate him.  Unfortunately, he was evaluated last night when he bowed out after 7 or 8 snaps.  

Let's see how his next evaluation goes when he plays in preseason game #2.

8 minutes ago, Alka said:

I would agree with you if he played in the last 2 years, but he didn't, and the Jets need to evaluate him.  Unfortunately, he was evaluated last night when he bowed out after 7 or 8 snaps.  

Let's see how his next evaluation goes when he plays in preseason game #2.

Him missing 2 years is exactly why he doesn’t need to be out there too long in a meaningless game. I bet any money he’ll play more snaps next game probably the first 2 quarters. 

2 hours ago, August said:

Him missing 2 years is exactly why he doesn’t need to be out there too long in a meaningless game. I bet any money he’ll play more snaps next game probably the first 2 quarters. 

I hope you're right.  Time will tell all!  

• Upvote 1

The part that’s maybe most concerning is what he said about the turf.

If it’s BS, then who knows what’s really going on.

If it’s true, the Jets have a problem because like half the stadiums or more use turf, no, including the trashy MetLife surface?

What is he gonna do, take himself out after 2 snaps when they play at home?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

He played at an extremely high level for the 7 or 8 snaps he played yesterday, but as we all know, the best ability is availability!

I never cared for that coined phrase. Of course a player can't play from the sideline, but the best ability is literally having the best ability.

FFS Boyle and Streveler have availability, as do dozens of scrubs who'll get cut in 4 weeks. Joe Flacco is available, too.

Merely having the prerequisite of being available does not come close to qualifying one has having the best - or at all special, or even the minimally requisite - ability. 

#endrant ;) 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Yes the guy who played 4 positions on the OL at a high level last year is weak, gtfo

Didn’t quite get that that was the point?  He’s bitching about Becton then apply the same dumb logic to AVT.  Thanks for making the point, every one thinks AVT missing a game is fine, playing 7 snaps, well, in that same game gets a gtfo.  

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I never cared for that coined phrase. Of course a player can't play from the sideline, but the best ability is literally having the best ability.

FFS Boyle and Streveler have availability, as do dozens of scrubs who'll get cut in 4 weeks. Joe Flacco is available, too.

Merely having the prerequisite of being available does not come close to qualifying one has having the best - or at all special, or even the minimally requisite - ability. 

#endrant ;) 

Remember Dee Milliner, who we drafted at #9 in the first round?  He had off the charts ability, but did not have availability.  He was a lost cause.  Becton is reminding me of Dee Milliner, and that's not a good thing.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

50 minutes ago, Alka said:

Remember Dee Milliner, who we drafted at #9 in the first round?  He had off the charts ability, but did not have availability.  He was a lost cause.  Becton is reminding me of Dee Milliner, and that's not a good thing.

Availability being a minimum requirement to show off any ability - good or bad - doesn't equate with it being the best ability.

There are a zillion players out there with availability who aren't worth a damn. Plenty often they have played for the Jets.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Availability being a minimum requirement to show off any ability - good or bad - doesn't equate with it being the best ability.

There are a zillion players out there with availability who aren't worth a damn. Plenty often they have played for the Jets.

We don’t really mean that being available is the “best ability”

we mean that the number 1 most important attribute in a player is the ability to consistently stay on the field. “Durability comes before any other ability,” if you like. 

If Becton felt some soreness after two years of not playing at game speed, and he and the coaches felt it wise to take him out of a meaningless game, what's the problem?  This place would be going apoplectic if he reinjured himself in the first preseason game...

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

We don’t really mean that being available is the “best ability”

we mean that the number 1 most important attribute in a player is the ability to consistently stay on the field. “Durability comes before any other ability,” if you like. 

I don't even agree with that re-clarification either.

Depending on the position, I'd rather have half a season of availability with elite play & half a season of the elite player's backup than 17 games of meh to average play.

Extreme examples of guys who never play at all for multiple years (e.g. Becton, Milliner, first 2 years of CJ Mosley) before the team and/or player often gives up doesn't change that. That's not consistently staying on the field at that extreme; that's not staying on the field at all over that span. 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't even agree with that re-clarification either.

Depending on the position, I'd rather have half a season of availability with elite play & half a season of the elite player's backup than 17 games of meh to average play.

Extreme examples of guys who never play at all for multiple years (e.g. Becton, Milliner, first 2 years of CJ Mosley) before the team and/or player often gives up doesn't change that. That's not consistently staying on the field at that extreme; that's not staying on the field at all over that span. 

Yea, we completely disagree on this one. 

The problem with the bolded, at least in leagues like the NFL and NBA, is that there is a salary cap. There is nothing worse in sports than having a star player taking up a significant chunk of your cap in street clothes. 

Also, go beyond the extreme examples of guys who never play. Think of guys like John Abraham. Guys who play just enough to establish themselves as incredibly valuable but then have a habit of being banged up or outright unavailable for the biggest games of the year. Yuck. Nothing more frustrating than that for me. 

So yea, sorry, but durability above ALL for me!

• Upvote 2

Becton was a gamble from day one. His injuries are very concerning because for a player of his size the knees are the weakest point. It appears he took himself out after 7-8 snaps, I get it he is fearful of damaging that knee again which would mean his career is over. For a man who just had a child and his responsibility to the future security of his family must weigh heavy on his mind. I think he is being extra cautious, lets wait and see how he performs in the next few pre-season games. If he cannot be trusted to stand and deliver then it is time to cut potential losses and move on.

Personally I hope that his knee holds up and he gets to play like what we hoped for after the draft. My other huge question mark surrounds the ability of Hackett to run this offense, what I saw from last night did not give much faith in his play calling. It reminded me of a stubborn child who thinks he can force his will upon others by repeatedly running up the gut into a defense that was not giving up any yardage. was this an attempt to see how the young O linemen would respond to adversity? For what it's worth I do not have much faith in Hacketts ability to be the offensive coordinator especially after his piss poor running of the Broncos offense last year. If he fails to utilize the potential playmaking ability of our offense how long do we hold onto him and get busy finding a solution.

I'm all in on the Jets this season, there is no reason for us to not improve on last years record by at least 3-4 games possibly more. I'm 70 freakin yrs old now and I've backed this team since I was a kid. Now dealing with being made fun of by my own kids and family out here in Stockton Ca. there is nothing more precious to me than to see our Jets beat the dogsh*t out of every west coast AFC team especially the Raiders (who I do like) to shut up my nephews and neighbors. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well, I'm not going to disagree with your statement.  It is obviously correct.

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually both theories have been posted.

After his last play, he did come back on the 2 FGs.

Why isn’t anyone concerned that AVT didn’t play?  Is he mentally weak?  

in the HOF game you want AVT out there ? Are you kidding me ?

13 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Yea, we completely disagree on this one. 

The problem with the bolded, at least in leagues like the NFL and NBA, is that there is a salary cap. There is nothing worse in sports than having a star player taking up a significant chunk of your cap in street clothes. 

Also, go beyond the extreme examples of guys who never play. Think of guys like John Abraham. Guys who play just enough to establish themselves as incredibly valuable but then have a habit of being banged up or outright unavailable for the biggest games of the year. Yuck. Nothing more frustrating than that for me. 

So yea, sorry, but durability above ALL for me!

They never should've traded Abraham, so there's that. Absent Abraham on that team they don't even reach the playoffs in the first place. They were 9-3 with him and 1-3 without because 1st rounder Bryan Thomas was weak, below-average trash until his contract year. Put him in "available" all season and the Jets don't make the playoffs outright, even against that cushy schedule.

No one is making the argument that playing every week isn't of course better than missing games here & there. Big duh. It's not enough.

Nearly 20 years later we're still crossing our fingers that we've finally replaced him on the edge.

But hey, they shrewdly replaced him with Kimo von Oelhoffen who started & finished all 16 games -- availability!

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

Jets fans love to blast Becton but the team already turned down his option. He's not in their plans 

What more do you want? Blood? 

Turning down his option has disincentivized Becton to play any extra snaps for the Jets this season. His best play is to get himself traded on the cheap somewhere with a GM that’ll throw him some type of extension. It seems pretty clear that Saleh and the Jets are going to put him on the bench to start the season, then toss him out the door at the end of it. If you’re his agent, you’d tell him to do exactly what he’s doing—show up in shape, put some decent reps on film, and avoid getting injured for a few more weeks. Eventually, he’s going to outright demand to be traded, and the excuse he’ll use is that he wants to play LT for a team that plays on grass. Douglas needs to hope and pray that Duane Brown and Carter Warren can become a passable OLT combo, and quick. The alternative—and it’s probably something they should be doing anyway—is to give AVT reps at OLT, with McGovern kicking out to guard (where he actually grades better). Ben Jones is still a free agent, too, so you could effectively swap a malcontent soft-boi in Becton for a legendary tough guy in Jones, who could work with Tippman. 

• Upvote 1