Risers and Fallers IMHO from the HoF game

Just now, Jethead said:

Thanks Sarge. Travelling and missed the game. What did you think of Tippman?

He played a lot and seemed to hold his own.  No penalties or bad snaps.  We never generated and push in the interior line, so that is worrisome  But he got out there and played a lot so it was at least a good learning experieince

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What did Ashyton Davis do to fall?

I didn't see him make any plays or be active and involved at any point the two rookies played a lot and even vet Dane Cruikshank got in late and made a nice tackle.  Maybe Davis didn't play much or was dinged up?  Let's keep and eye on the safety playing time next game

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

RISERS:

1. Trey Dean & Marquis Waters S
    Pair of UDFAs were all over the field, laid some good hits, and seemed athletic and active.  One or the other is going to make the opening day roster - let's watch the rest of the preseason games to decide which one is better right now.  The other will be on the PS
  2. Chazz Surratt LB 
    Looked good and had an interception - went out with a hamstring injury though
  3. Malik Taylor WR
    Caught a big pass and was active on special teams,  Irvin Charles, his main competition, also played well on special teams but didn't catch a pass
  4. EJ Jenkins TE
    UDFA TE out of Georgia Tech caught a couple of passes and looked to be stronger than advertised,  Just too many TEs on the roster to think he has a chance but we will continue to watch him
  5. Claudin Cherelus & Caleb Johnson LB
    UDFAs both played a lot and were productive. Johnson got a stupid 15 yard penalty which was bad, but otherwise both showed potential
    Right now, you have to figure both are on the Practice Squad with still a chance to make the roster
  6. Alex Erickson WR
    Veteran WR and KR caught a nice pass and had a good punt return.  He's still in the mix
  7. Chris Glaser & Greg Senat OL
    Of the offensive linemen who played late in the game, Senat and Glaser looked the most effective. Both seemed to be in good shape and held their own pretty well.  Senat especially seemed like he has really filled out a lot.  Neither will be on the opening day roster, but both seem like practice squad looks - let's keep an eye on them next game

FALLERS:

1. Chris Streveler QB
    Everyone saw it.  Let's move on
  2. Hamsah Nasilrideen LB
    Battled injuries his whole career and got hurt on his 1st tackle of the preseason.  Not good.
  3. Ashtyn Davis S
    I don't get it?  Too much new blood at Safety to think he is going to make the team
  4. Jimmy Moreland, Bryce Hall,  & Craig James CB
    All three looked like hot garbage.  We will be shopping the waiver wire for a veteran back up CB.  James actually played pretty well in the 1st half but got beat for an easy TD in the 2nd - he might be the best of the sorry lot
  5. Travis Dye & Damerea Crocket RB
    Might have thought one or the other had a chance to make the practice squad, but they both looked like the longest of longshots last night.  I could see them both being cut straight up prior to the deadline
  6. Trystan Colon OL
    Free Agent signee from the Raven.  He looked out of shape and ineffective to me.  Maybe had some hope for him prior to the game, but now I think he is gone.  We will have to see if he rebounds in upcoming pre-season opportunities, but I was thoroughly unimpressed

Serious question, will anyone you list here, riser or faller, actually make the team?  I honestly don't think so.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Of them all, I find Bryce Hall's fall from grace the most surprising.  He seemed to be decent his first season.  Somehow we draft a Bryce Huff and a Breece Hall and he forgets how to play?

It's amazing two starting corners from a few years ago. 4 and 5 now and Hall might now be able to make the cut.

Oh how the times have changed.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Serious question, will anyone you list here, riser or faller, actually make the team?  I honestly don't think so.

I think it's very likely a couple will - 1 of the safeties, Surratt if he's healthy, Taylor and Erickson have a chance at WR/ST

Also have to consider the battle for Practice Squad slots which is also interesting and potentially helpful

• Upvote 1

Just watched the opening drive.

A few thoughts:

— Limited reps but saw McD get buried in the run game.  His legs literally buckled as he was trying to shed a block.

— defense still has zero awareness on delayed RB / TE screen.  It’s the basic play NE kills us on every year.

— Hamsah lasted like 3 plays before getting injured 

• Upvote 4

I would maybe include Abakinda as a riser. He was very solid and then showed off elite speed. Our run blocking was not so great. 

I swear to god that that Saleh overrides everyone and forces an inside handoff on every 3rd and 1 which gets stuffed every time.

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Just watched the opening drive.

A few thoughts:

— Limited reps but saw McD get buried in the run game.  His legs literally buckled as he was trying to shed a block.

— defense still has zero awareness on delayed RB / TE screen.  It’s the basic play NE kills us on every year.

— Hamsah lasted like 3 plays before getting injured 

watch the rest of the game , McDonald look good.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

1. Travis Dye & Damerea Crocket RB
    Might have thought one or the other had a chance to make the practice squad, but they both looked like the longest of longshots last night.  I could see them both being cut straight up prior to the deadline

Not to say we need to pay Cook multi millions, but with Breece Hall coming off a major injury, Carter comming off a crap Year 2, and Abanikanda a rookie, I'm not nearly as comfortable with our RB room as I thought I was...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

RISERS:

1. Trey Dean & Marquis Waters S
    Pair of UDFAs were all over the field, laid some good hits, and seemed athletic and active.  One or the other is going to make the opening day roster - let's watch the rest of the preseason games to decide which one is better right now.  The other will be on the PS
  2. Chazz Surratt LB 
    Looked good and had an interception - went out with a hamstring injury though
  3. Malik Taylor WR
    Caught a big pass and was active on special teams,  Irvin Charles, his main competition, also played well on special teams but didn't catch a pass
  4. EJ Jenkins TE
    UDFA TE out of Georgia Tech caught a couple of passes and looked to be stronger than advertised,  Just too many TEs on the roster to think he has a chance but we will continue to watch him
  5. Claudin Cherelus & Caleb Johnson LB
    UDFAs both played a lot and were productive. Johnson got a stupid 15 yard penalty which was bad, but otherwise both showed potential
    Right now, you have to figure both are on the Practice Squad with still a chance to make the roster
  6. Alex Erickson WR
    Veteran WR and KR caught a nice pass and had a good punt return.  He's still in the mix
  7. Chris Glaser & Greg Senat OL
    Of the offensive linemen who played late in the game, Senat and Glaser looked the most effective. Both seemed to be in good shape and held their own pretty well.  Senat especially seemed like he has really filled out a lot.  Neither will be on the opening day roster, but both seem like practice squad looks - let's keep an eye on them next game

FALLERS:

1. Chris Streveler QB
    Everyone saw it.  Let's move on
  2. Hamsah Nasilrideen LB
    Battled injuries his whole career and got hurt on his 1st tackle of the preseason.  Not good.
  3. Ashtyn Davis S
    I don't get it?  Too much new blood at Safety to think he is going to make the team
  4. Jimmy Moreland, Bryce Hall,  & Craig James CB
    All three looked like hot garbage.  We will be shopping the waiver wire for a veteran back up CB.  James actually played pretty well in the 1st half but got beat for an easy TD in the 2nd - he might be the best of the sorry lot
  5. Travis Dye & Damerea Crocket RB
  6. Trystan Colon OL
    Free Agent signee from the Raven.  He looked out of shape and ineffective to me.  Maybe had some hope for him prior to the game, but now I think he is gone.  We will have to see if he rebounds in upcoming pre-season opportunities, but I was thoroughly unimpressed

Sarge, what are your thoughts on ZW... just wondering. Personnally I wasn't to impressed as say our HC... I mean is the bar so low that any = positive = is looked on as progress?