After watching last nights game, "Are the Jets hurting themselves by keeping Randall Cobb on the final 53 man roster?"

Alka

It seems to me that we have some terrific young wide receivers who might be good enough to make the final roster, but with an aging Randall Cobb making the roster, I think we will be hurting ourselves.

Assuming we keep 6 wide receivers, let's look at the current prospects:

Keepers:  Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis, Allen Lazard and Mecole Hardman.  That is 4.

If they keep Cobb, that makes a total of 5 on the final roster.

The wide receivers who look real good to me:  Jason Brownlee, Xavier Gipson, Malik Taylor.  Alex Erickson looked good in his play last night.

Out of these 4 receivers who looked real good to me, let's say that 2 of these guys are deserving to make the team.  

Do we really keep an aging Cobb, who is definitely on his way down, and cut one of these young guys, who at least one of these cuts can turn out to be another Robbie Anderson, or even better?

If you keep Cobb, then only 1 of these guys will make the team, with 6 as the cap on receivers.  What do you think?

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

Cobb will be on the 53, and will have a deserved place. For all the camp hype that some of these guys are getting, we have to remember who they're going against. Cobb is not the A-1 slot guy he used to be, but he's a very solid slot guy who will always be exactly where he needs to be. He's also helping every single player on O just by being there and facilitating. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There’s a reason Brownlee wasn’t drafted.

There's also a reason that Brownlee is here.  If you watch what Saleh said about him, they wanted to draft Brownlee on day 3, but had other needs.  After the draft, they pounced on Brownlee.  

There must be a reason for that as well, no?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alka said:

There's also a reason that Brownlee is here.  If you watch what Saleh said about him, they wanted to draft Brownlee on day 3, but had other needs.  After the draft, they pounced on Brownlee.  

There must be a reason for that as well, no?

I said a few days ago that Brownlee would have to totally sh*t himself in the pre-season to not make it as the 6th wideout.

Well, he kinda sh*t himself in the first pre-season game.

I think it’s a given that the Jets are carrying 6 receivers.

Wilson, Lazard, Davis, Hardman, Cobb and one of Brownlee/Taylor/Gipson/Erickson who all have ST experience.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t know what the OP was watching… Brownlee didn’t look good at all last night.

It was Gipson who looked really good last night.  Brownlee has been killing it in practice, and many here think he is a lock to make this team, despite him not winning on a ball or two that went his way last night.

7 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t know what the OP was watching? Brownlee didn’t look good at all last night.

Read the room… Cobb is Rodgers guy. He isn’t going anywhere.

Yup.  Practice squad is perfect for guys like Brownlee.  Some talent.  Made a couple plays last night, but also left a couple on the field.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Passing on JSN because Joe D needed to pander to Rodgers and bring in Cobb will go down with passing on Marino as one of the biggest mistakes in Jet history.

What have you done Joe Douglas!  What have you done?

I'm with you on that I think we should've drafted JSN. So I get that line of thinking.

But it will hardly be as catastrophic as you make it sound. We'll be just fine at WR. GW I imagine puts himself in the elite type WR category. Lazard will be valuable as a big bodied guy. Hardman if he plays well and stay healthy I'm sure we'll try and keep around. And Brownlee can develop. I'd like us to add a guy in Round 2 or 3 next draft.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Lith said:

You took my answer. 

When it is 3rd and 7, Rodgers is going to know exactly where Cobb is going to be.  For a win now team, I want him on the field in those situations.  Cobb probably has more value to us than he would have to any other team.

100% and we should not lose sight of his ability in the red zone.

Rodgers loves him as a target in the endzone. 

• Upvote 1

Cobb needs to get on the practice field and start showing that "ESP" he
has with Rodgers.  Because to me Brownlee is a definite to make the roster
while Gipson and Erickson showed excellent return ability yesterday.  Cobb
doesn't play specials so he has to be an elite 3rd down receiver who catches
everything

25 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Passing on JSN because Joe D needed to pander to Rodgers and bring in Cobb will go down with passing on Marino as one of the biggest mistakes in Jet history.

What have you done Joe Douglas!  What have you done?

McDonald will be more valuable then JSN 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

It seems to me that we have some terrific young wide receivers who might be good enough to make the final roster, but with an aging Randall Cobb making the roster, I think we will be hurting ourselves.

Assuming we keep 6 wide receivers, let's look at the current prospects:

Keepers:  Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis, Allen Lazard and Mecole Hardman.  That is 4.

If they keep Cobb, that makes a total of 5 on the final roster.

The wide receivers who look real good to me:  Jason Brownlee, Xavier Gipson, Malik Taylor.  Alex Erickson looked good in his play last night.

Out of these 4 receivers who looked real good to me, let's say that 2 of these guys are deserving to make the team.  

Do we really keep an aging Cobb, who is definitely on his way down, and cut one of these young guys, who at least one of these cuts can turn out to be another Robbie Anderson, or even better?

If you keep Cobb, then only 1 of these guys will make the team, with 6 as the cap on receivers.  What do you think?

Nobody is more popular than the "hidden gems" that are the 3rd string QB, the 6th string WR, the 4th string RB, or the 4th string TE. :-k

And the Wayne Chrebet fantasy never dies it seems.....

No, none of those WR's you name likely "deserve to make the team" over Cobb.  Old or not.

P.S. At least you didn't throw in the OTHER great Jets Fan mega-meme, i.e. that these future stud WR's would go to the Pats and haunt us for years....

• Upvote 1

Let's see how the rest of camp/preseason goes.  At this point, I don't think Cobb is going anywhere.

Personally, I think Brownlee has the biggest chance to make it onto the roster, but he did himself no favors last night by dropping two balls that went through his hands and hit him in the chest.  As a WR 5/6, you get very limited opportunities, and you need to make those types of catches 100% of the time to gain any sort of trust.  Practice squad sounds about right for him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Let's see how the rest of camp/preseason goes.  At this point, I don't think Cobb is going anywhere.

Personally, I think Brownlee has the biggest chance to make it onto the roster, but he did himself no favors last night by dropping two balls that went through his hands and hit him in the chest.  As a WR 5/6, you get very limited opportunities, and you need to make those types of catches 100% of the time to gain any sort of trust.  Practice squad sounds about right for him.

Agree.  Brownlee had a big opportunity last night and had some mistakes.  He still has a shot at WR6 but he took a step back last night.

And remember, Malik Taylor is an Aaron Rodgers guy.

50 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No Cobb should not be on the roster.  Look at his stats the last number of years.  Jag.  Jag who gets hurt.

Now he is here at the behest or Rodgers and most likely so is lazard.  They both need to produce.

how many teams do you think have a #4/5 WR who posts 45 catches for 410 yards and 3 TDs?  those are cobb's average the last 3 years

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Agree.  Brownlee had a big opportunity last night and had some mistakes.  He still has a shot at WR6 but he took a step back last night.

And remember, Malik Taylor is an Aaron Rodgers guy.

Giving up on him after 1 pre-season game.  The disease is strong in this one.

• Haha 1

Reading this thread, I sometimes think of how many posters don't understand the bottom of the roster or know much about the players there. Gipson and Brownlee are fairly young. at 22 and 24, but Malik Taylor has been in a league a bit and is 27.  Erickson is 30 years old and a 7 year vet.  He took the place of Deontae Spencer who got hurt and waived as emergency punt returner to carry on the practice squad.  He has a 500 yard season under his belt.  Irvin Charles is only in his 2nd year, but he is 26.  People are looking at Hardman as maxed out/washed up and he is only 25.  Luther and Kapp are small school rookies that may have practice squad value.  

• Upvote 3