After watching last nights game, "Are the Jets hurting themselves by keeping Randall Cobb on the final 53 man roster?"

Alka

2 hours ago, Alka said:

It seems to me that we have some terrific young wide receivers who might be good enough to make the final roster, but with an aging Randall Cobb making the roster, I think we will be hurting ourselves.

Assuming we keep 6 wide receivers, let's look at the current prospects:

Keepers:  Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis, Allen Lazard and Mecole Hardman.  That is 4.

If they keep Cobb, that makes a total of 5 on the final roster.

The wide receivers who look real good to me:  Jason Brownlee, Xavier Gipson, Malik Taylor.  Alex Erickson looked good in his play last night.

Out of these 4 receivers who looked real good to me, let's say that 2 of these guys are deserving to make the team.  

Do we really keep an aging Cobb, who is definitely on his way down, and cut one of these young guys, who at least one of these cuts can turn out to be another Robbie Anderson, or even better?

If you keep Cobb, then only 1 of these guys will make the team, with 6 as the cap on receivers.  What do you think?

They should let Cobb try out at backup QB since they are not looking like they will sign one.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Cobb needs to get on the practice field and start showing that "ESP" he
has with Rodgers.  Because to me Brownlee is a definite to make the roster
while Gipson and Erickson showed excellent return ability yesterday.  Cobb
doesn't play specials so he has to be an elite 3rd down receiver who catches
everything

not sure he a definate...we'll see after couple more games.

I want to see how Irv Charles has developed if at all.  They didnt target him, not sure how many snaps he got, may have been only STs

It is entirely possible if one or more of the young WRs really does earn a spot on the team in the next several weeks, we can always try and trade Davis, but I would imagine they want to keep all of the experienced WRs we have; remember last year when we were scraping the bottom for WRs after injuries? We can stash a few WRs on the practice squad and they will likely still be there if they are needed or next year.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I got to say, this is one of the more confusing threads in a while.  What on earth happened last night, during the 1st preseason game, that would make you feel confident in anyone making or not making the team, especially at WR over Cobb?  Not a single WR caught more than 1 pass last night.  lol

What has a soon to be 33 year old Cobb done so far this preseason to earn his spot on this team?  Please don't tell me about his past, since his recent past is on the decline.  

Just like all the rookies, and the UDFA's, show up and prove that you still deserve a roster spot over the young players who are trying like hell to make this team.  This year, not last year, or the year before.

To me, it's sort of like a running back, who is getting old in the tooth.  At 33 years of age, you really need to show that you still have it.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Nobody is more popular than the "hidden gems" that are the 3rd string QB, the 6th string WR, the 4th string RB, or the 4th string TE. :-k

You mean like Robbie Anderson, who was undrafted?  And no, I didn't just mention Wayne Chrebet.

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

The Giants just waived our old friend Jeff Smith.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him back with the Jets shortly, to compete for that #6 WR spot.

We know the coaches like him, and value him on specials.

He had his chance as team JAG for a few years.  We need someone new in that role.

1 hour ago, jetblue95 said:

how many teams do you think have a #4/5 WR who posts 45 catches for 410 yards and 3 TDs?  those are cobb's average the last 3 years

10 games, 12 games 13 games.  You have nicely pro rated his stats he has had one season over 38 catches in his last 5.

The WR4/WR5 is not expected - nor will any be targeted enough - to post 800-1000 yards (or even 500-600). 

If Cobb puts up 300-400 and 2/3-3/4 of them are on catches that move the chains, particularly on 3rd & 5-ish where Rodgers doesn't have to wonder if he's going to go the wrong way (and won't be doubled up like Wilson & maybe another), then he has a specific purpose. Right tool for the right job. 

Younger, taller receivers having more theoretical upside & longer careers (if they don't get cut for sucking) is only valuable IF they turn into a rare udfa Jets starter like Chrebet, Anderson, etc. (and consider how many years were between those two).

It's not a bad thing to have role players, if they play their roles well.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

There's also a reason that Brownlee is here.  If you watch what Saleh said about him, they wanted to draft Brownlee on day 3, but had other needs.  After the draft, they pounced on Brownlee.  

There must be a reason for that as well, no?

Maybe Brownlee is the real deal but how many third day picks actually make the team as a starter or even spot sub?  There’s a reason why all thirty two teams passed him up.

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Maybe Brownlee is the real deal but how many third day picks actually make the team as a starter or even spot sub?  There’s a reason why all thirty two teams passed him up.

Well, one guy going into the HOF tomorrow would have amounted to a day 3 pick in today's draft.  Joe Klecko was drafted in the 6th round by the Jets.  In fact, playing next to Joe Klecko on the NY Sack Exchange was a guy named Abdul Salaam, who was drafted by the Jets in the 7th round.

I understand that as you go into day 3 picks, it becomes less likely that someone will make it big.  Quincy Enunwa was a day 3 pick, going in the 6th round, and he was better than good.

I realize it doesn't happen that often, but it does happen, and it will continue to happen.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

10 games, 12 games 13 games.  You have nicely pro rated his stats he has had one season over 38 catches in his last 5.

actually i accidentally averaged targets, not receptions.  so it's a 3-year average of 33 receptions, 410 yards and 3 TDs.  again, tell me how many #4/5 WRs across the league put up those numbers

6 hours ago, Alka said:

It seems to me that we have some terrific young wide receivers who might be good enough to make the final roster, but with an aging Randall Cobb making the roster, I think we will be hurting ourselves.

Keepers:  Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis, Allen Lazard and Mecole Hardman.  That is 4.

The wide receivers who look real good to me:  Jason Brownlee, Xavier Gipson, Malik Taylor.  Alex Erickson looked good in his play last night.

Out of these 4 receivers who looked real good to me, let's say that 2 of these guys are deserving to make the team.  

Do we really keep an aging Cobb, who is definitely on his way down, and cut one of these young guys, who at least one of these cuts can turn out to be another Robbie Anderson, or even better?

If you keep Cobb, then only 1 of these guys will make the team, with 6 as the cap on receivers.  What do you think?

all i know is that i wanted the jets to draft JSN in worst way and did they listen to me? guys like footballguy poo poo it and whatever but jets are 1 WR injury away from disaster especially after seeing last nights depth.

JD better be right...what you think chances of that are?   me thinks not good

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, SickJetFan said:

all i know is that i wanted the jets to draft JSN in worst way and did they listen to me? guys like footballguy poo poo it and whatever but jets are 1 WR injury away from disaster especially after seeing last nights depth.

JD better be right...what you think chances of that are?   me thinks not good

Yup.  If garret goes down we are in deep sh!t.  JSN was a layup snd we blew it.

Damn you randall cobb!!!!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alka said:

What has a soon to be 33 year old Cobb done so far this preseason to earn his spot on this team?  Please don't tell me about his past, since his recent past is on the decline.  

Just like all the rookies, and the UDFA's, show up and prove that you still deserve a roster spot over the young players who are trying like hell to make this team.  This year, not last year, or the year before.

To me, it's sort of like a running back, who is getting old in the tooth.  At 33 years of age, you really need to show that you still have it.

You sign FA's mostly because of their "past".  I think the better word is, experience.  Randall Cobb is an experienced player who can still play.  Rodgers loves him and he knows the system intimately.  I dont know this but I assume he's helping implement the offense and being a mentor to these younger players you're mentioning.  And besides being a coach on the field, I have much more faith in Cobb to be in the right spot on 3rd down needing a big pick up then trusting that some UDFA who showed promise by catching 1 pass last night in preseason game.

If this was some normal sh*tty Jets season, sure, start the hopefuls but this is not.  The value guys like Lazard and Cobb bring to Rodgers is hard to quantify. 

Peep this vid below, kind of speaks to what I'm saying about Cobb's knowledge of the offense and Rodgers. 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/nfl-network-randall-cobb-joins-inside-training-camp-live

• Upvote 3

The whole point of bringing together Rodgers with familiar faces is so the offense doesn't exhaust a year learning how to work together. Cobb is part of that. 

The only receiver in the group who may be replaced is Davis but that's unlikely unless one of the guys on the bottom of the roster is absolutely explosive. Most likely it will be GW, Davis, the Packers receivers and one other. Maybe one or two others see the practice squad. 

10 hours ago, Alka said:

Cobb was Rodgers' most reliable WR last season in converting 3rd downs to 1st downs, and I think in one other category.  Having WRs that Rodgers knows and trusts and that know him and what his hand signals and nods mean are more important and effective imo if they're looking to go as deep in the playoffs as possible this season.

I agree that Erickson looks good, and it's too bad that he has no chance to make the team, because I think he could be a solid contributor.  Rookies make mistakes.  We say Gipson muff a punt on his first opportunity (first time touching the ball in an NFL game), and Brownlee after getting receptions on two consecutive plays, then dropped two passes that were catchable.  Do you really want to count on those players in key situations in the tough early games of the season?

I love both Brownlee's and Gipson's potential, and would love to keep them both, but don't see any way that we can.  Unless things change by the end of TC, Brownlee probably makes the team, and Gipson gets picked up by another team when the Jets waive him.  Erickson could possibly make the PS, although a team like the Lions might claim him when the Jets waive him.

It's something we're not used to, but we finally have a lot of talent on the team, and we're going to lose good young players/prospects when we have to cut down the roster to 53.  That's what the best teams experience.  It's a nice problem to have.

7 hours ago, Alka said:

You mean like Robbie Anderson, who was undrafted?  And no, I didn't just mention Wayne Chrebet.

I’ll give you Chrebet.  
Im not giving you Anderson who went undrafted because he was a doushe in college

10 hours ago, ChrebetOverKeyshawn said:

It comes down to what’s more valuable - keeping one of Gipson, Taylor, Erickson or keeping the good vibes with Rodgers going. I like the latter 

It's also a matter of keeping someone who is a proven clutch performer with the QB over unproven rookies who may choke in key moments.

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yup.  If garret goes down we are in deep sh!t.  JSN was a layup snd we blew it.

Damn you randall cobb!!!!

Please stop you’re embarrassing yourself by bringing up JSN if GW goes down.  JSN isn’t GW.  
McDonald will help win more games than JSN would

10 hours ago, Alka said:

It was Gipson who looked really good last night.  Brownlee has been killing it in practice, and many here think he is a lock to make this team, despite him not winning on a ball or two that went his way last night.

How did Gipson look really good last night?  He had a nice KO return, but muffed a punt near the goal line that could have been disastrous, and dropped both ball thrown to him.

9 hours ago, KRL said:

Cobb needs to get on the practice field and start showing that "ESP" he
has with Rodgers.  Because to me Brownlee is a definite to make the roster
while Gipson and Erickson showed excellent return ability yesterday.  Cobb
doesn't play specials so he has to be an elite 3rd down receiver who catches
everything

No he doesn't.  It doesn't matter what Jets fans think.  Rodgers, JD, Saleh and Cobb know what he can do, and they're the only ones whose opinion matters.  Cobb was GB's most reliable WR last season in converting 3rd downs into 1st downs, and maybe another important category that I can't remember.

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No Cobb should not be on the roster.  Look at his stats the last number of years.  Jag.  Jag who gets hurt.

Now he is here at the behest or Rodgers and most likely so is lazard.  They both need to produce.

Both will produce.  Cobb was GB's most effective WR last year on 3rd downs converting a crazy percentage of them into 1st downs.  Rodgers trusts him, knows that Cobb will be in the right spot and open.  That's invaluable.

both will

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Reading this thread, I sometimes think of how many posters don't understand the bottom of the roster or know much about the players there. Gipson and Brownlee are fairly young. at 22 and 24, but Malik Taylor has been in a league a bit and is 27.  Erickson is 30 years old and a 7 year vet.  He took the place of Deontae Spencer who got hurt and waived as emergency punt returner to carry on the practice squad.  He has a 500 yard season under his belt.  Irvin Charles is only in his 2nd year, but he is 26.  People are looking at Hardman as maxed out/washed up and he is only 25.  Luther and Kapp are small school rookies that may have practice squad value.  

WHO is looking at Hardman as washed up?  That is patently ridiculous and untrue.  That's one of the craziest things I've seen posted on this site in my short time here, and it rivals crazy things I've seen on other Jets boards.

29 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

WHO is looking at Hardman as washed up?  That is patently ridiculous and untrue.  That's one of the craziest things I've seen posted on this site in my short time here, and it rivals crazy things I've seen on other Jets boards.

Didn't mean washed up so much as maxed out.  Meanwhile 26, 27 and 30 year old guys they never heard of have "potential."