Jets Cut Nasirildeen(Placed On IR )

20 hours ago, doitny said:

has to be because that injury is worst than we thought. who gets cut after 1 preseason game when there is 4 more left to go.

Not really.  I thought the opposite.  If they cut him injured there should be a settlement and I did not hear anything about that.  I think they just don't like him much and probably want to get some guys they can have up to speed quickly if things go south.  Barnes looks athletic, but they need some people to fill in if any of the top 3 go down.  Nasrildeen should have been next up and I don't think he was very good.  In addition to ALexander, Marcell Harris was ahead of him all season and probably Chazz (spelled correctly for @Lith) Surratt. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The big safety to LB conversion is almost always a pipe dream. Asking this guy and Sherwood to do it was kind of stupid. There are fast LBs in the draft every year. No need to get cute.

Which begs to ask the question, why didn't they just play him at SS which was his natural position?  Maybe after the Jamal Adams fiasco, Jets decided to do away with the SS position 🙈🙉🙊

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Which begs to ask the question, why didn't they just play him at SS which was his natural position?  Maybe after the Jamal Adams fiasco, Jets decided to do away with the SS position 🙈🙉🙊

IIRC, he was a highly rated high school recruit who blew up his knee and never tested well as a result. Jets took a flyer on him thinking he could rehab his way back to some level of athleticism. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The big safety to LB conversion is almost always a pipe dream. Asking this guy and Sherwood to do it was kind of stupid. There are fast LBs in the draft every year. No need to get cute.

Sherwood played all 3 positions last year and its coverage ability as much as speed. Saleh loves the hybrids. I’m not sure if he calls it rover or raider but Sherwood is carving out a role in this defense. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Fun fact , Adams played more FS snaps than SS. He also played CB, OLB and nickel back and was first team all pro. 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Sherwood played all 3 positions last year and its coverage ability as much as speed. Saleh loves the hybrids. I’m not sure if he calls it rover or raider but Sherwood is carving out a role in this defense. 

Sherwood was spun around like a top by the Browns on those screens and counters. I know he makes some plays here and there, but he’s going to be a guy that gets picked on a lot by opposing offenses. 

• Upvote 2

I like JoeD but sometimes he doesn't do things that seem to make obvious sense. Linebacker has always been a position of need with this current team and he doesn't sign Alexander who played pretty well last year and who wouldn't break the bank. He has also done this with other obvious needs in the past such as Oline and kicker/punter when there may have been options available to add better players or depth. He has some money available. He needs to shore up positions of weakness. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sherwood was spun around like a top by the Browns on those screens and counters. I know he makes some plays here and there, but he’s going to be a guy that gets picked on a lot by opposing offenses. 

He’s the weak link for sure. I hated him as a rookie, he was terrible but he really improved last year backing up Mosley. It’s possible he’s out of position at Will and the jets will have to make a move there and trade for one or claim one. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

He’s the weak link for sure. I hated him as a rookie, he was terrible but he really improved last year backing up Mosley. It’s possible he’s out of position at Will and the jets will have to make a move there and trade for one or claim one. 

I wonder how much of a chance Nick Vigil gets in this scheme. He’s as athletic as Sherwood, and was one of those freakishly productive college ILBs that pop up every year. Former third round pick of the Bengals. If Sherwood is missing it between the ears, there could be room for someone like Vigil to take some snaps away from him.

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Welcome back.

Have you been summering in the Hamptons?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think it goes without saying at this point the team is horrific at scouting the LB position.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It is scary to think that Sherwood is an injury away from being an every down player...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Saleh was cocky with that pick. We needs safeties too so he obviously wasn’t good. Sorry DWC.
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder how much of a chance Nick Vigil gets in this scheme. He’s as athletic as Sherwood, and was one of those freakishly productive college ILBs that pop up every year. Former third round pick of the Bengals. If Sherwood is missing it between the ears, there could be room for someone like Vigil to take some snaps away from him.

I think sherwood gets it between the ears. I believe he was the one calling the plays for the D for the first preseason game.  But he was making tackles 8 yards down the field without an olineman blocking him.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I think sherwood gets it between the ears. I believe he was the one calling the plays for the D for the first preseason game.  But he was making tackles 8 yards down the field without an olineman blocking him.

Wow, you really think he was performing at the level of a $17M player?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Same. I really thought we got a steal, but he just hasn't found a role in the pros.

Agreed  - he was a 5 star recruit who seemed like he was on the path to being a great safety, im just not sure how he fit the "convert to OLB" idea, hes not the same player as sherwood.  

Seems like Trey Dean is hitting a lot in camp and at the same time Ashytn Davis has continued to be the single most non-descript player ive ever seen.  Aside from one pick that was thrown directly to him has he ever made a good play in a game or TC?  I never hear his name called and it certainly isnt because hes not making mistakes 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Nasrildeen couldn’t stay on the field and probably didn’t play his position well enough.  Just what is expected of a late round draft pick?  He was on the team for three seasons

Because he was a top safety prospect and not a LB?   JD and RS are trying to convert safeties to LB and that is a fine line.