Safe to say the Jets did not want to bring back Kwon?

14 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Kwon = JAG

Haha I'm not sure. At the beginning he was a guy who could help implement the system get up to speed fast. He has many fans here on jet nation that routinely spout off about his greatness, I never really saw it. Injuries aside I hope someone steps up

Saleh always talks about the balance between experience and youth/explosiveness. His plan when he came in was to get the youth on the field as much as is reasonably possibly to get that experience in the youth. I think they decided to go with youth/explosiveness with some experience now over whatever experience Kwon brings to the table.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Saleh always talks about the balance between experience and youth/explosiveness. His plan when he came in was to get the youth on the field as much as is reasonably possibly to get that experience in the youth. I think they decided to go with youth/explosiveness with some experience now over whatever experience Kwon brings to the table.

I wanted him back - if anything, I think this team could use a couple more veterans. 

but I agree and I do see merit in getting young -  just hope they can play and not let down what is a very stout defense, otherwise  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I wanted him back - if anything, I think this team could use a couple more veterans. 

but I agree and I do see merit in getting young -  just hope they can play and not let down what is a very stout defense, otherwise  

Considering how late they signed Kwon last year I am guessing it was close then. If athleticism/explosiveness can be improved in the middle of an already good defense it could make a big difference. Excited to see what the d looks like this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The Jets and every other team, except the Steelers on a cheap non starter salary, did not want to bring in Kwon.

Is it possible Jets fans have overestimated him?

fans always what the "other" guy. the backup. 

Jets signed two LBs this week. Have to wonder if they would’ve signed Kwon if he was still available, or not? I had read that he was looking for more money than he got from the Jets last year, but he didn’t get that from Pittsburgh, either. 

All in all, not too worried about a part time position on defense. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It'd sure be nice if the strongest JD critics at least admitted his FA successes along with his failures.  Namely:

• George Fant
  • Duane Brown
  • DJ Reed
  • Quincy Williams
  • JFM
  • Bryce Huff (UDFA)

DJ Reed and Huff. Realllly stretching the rest. 

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It'd sure be nice if the strongest JD critics at least admitted his FA successes along with his failures.  Namely:

• George Fant
  • Duane Brown
  • DJ Reed
  • Quincy Williams
  • JFM
  • Bryce Huff (UDFA)

Can't give you Fant, he isn't that good. Brown played hurt last year, so evaluating him is a bit hard.

DJ, Quincy and JFM are stellar pick ups. Huff is more of a draft pick rather than a FA signing. I'll throw 3 more names in for discussion, Rankins,  Zuerlein and Lawson. Yes, he got hurt his 1st year, however he did have 7 sacks last year

Implementing youth was always going to be the plan.  Sherwood is going into year 3 after being taken in the 5th round.  If the coaching staff likes him, that seems about right as far as development time.  If he was replacing Roquan Smith, sure.  It's a pretty big risk.  But Kwon?  He was solid but IMO he always seemed like a placeholder for either a draft pick to take his spot or a bigger FA signing.  

I'm pretty excited to see what both Sherwood and Adams do this year. 

1 hour ago, Barton said:

No, I agree. DJ reed has been great. Huff very solid. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with Quincy and JFM either.  Productive players brought in on the cheap who will be starters this year.  

Middle-of-the-roster types is where free agency is won, not the big name guys.