Help needed, NFL fantasy

First time I'm doing the NFL fantasy, the people I'm up against do it every year.

I haven't a clue what I'm doing, anyone got any tips, suggestions or even a link to the best players to pick in my draft?

Before anyone says it, I won't be picking Zach this year lol  

Cheers

1 minute ago, English Jet said:

First time I'm doing the NFL fantasy, the people I'm up against do it every year.

I haven't a clue what I'm doing, anyone got any tips, suggestions or even a link to the best players to pick in my draft?

Cheers

There are a million websites.  In general you want to draft RB's and WR's first.  You can wait on a QB and you don't take a kicker or defense until the very late rounds.  All you need to do is visit any of the bunch of fantasy websites to print out a list of rankings. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, English Jet said:

Cheers

whatever you do, do not take advice from @Paradis 

best advice you will get... lol.

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, English Jet said:

Cheers

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/168886-fantasy-addicts-degeneracy-corner/page/8/#comment-5826360

Join Us Evil Dead GIF by filmeditor

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Thank you for the motivation this year 

I got you... lol. I expect an improved and motivated team from you. you won't have to carry newbies along in the draft and watch them down half a bottle of bourbon

• Haha 2

I guess the first step is find out the scoring system, not all leagues are the same. 

once you know that there should be plenty of opinions out there on which positions to prioritize.  

Id personally avoid older RBs 

if you want to get fancy, avoid your early draft picks , first 4 guys , having the same bye week.  

probabky not ideal for the top 3 guys. To play in a division with tough defenses like the AFC beast 

• Upvote 1

Depending on the stakes you may want to consider a subscription to Establish The Run. Since this is your first time I'm guessing you're looking at lower stakes and that won't make sense.

Most sites have predefined rankings that will keep you close to the middle of the pack to start the season. If you want to try getting ahead of the site default rankings, I have always been a big fan of the rankings this site does but you'll want to adjust the settings to match your league rules:

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/ppr-cheatsheets.php

Lastly, I'd recommend doing a bunch of mock drafts and try to get a good handle of the average draft position of players. Doesn't mean your league will draft the same but it will give you a general idea and a nice baseline. There's a bunch of fantasy football mock draft sites.

https://draftwizard.fantasypros.com/football/mock-draft-simulator/settings/

Once the draft is over, the waiver wire is where leagues are won and lost. Try to have a longer view for players that don't currently have starting value but may in upcoming weeks for when you have a crappy waiver position.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, English Jet said:

Cheers

If its a PPR then WR's and RB's who catch a lot of passes

43 minutes ago, English Jet said:

Cheers

Just auto draft if it’s your first time.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, English Jet said:

Cheers

strategy is determined by league settings example ppr vs non ppr -HUGE difference-also flex or no flex? what are the bonuses ? example QB bonuses are HUGE when they exist and that will determine the QB type to go for 

draft position also is key to strategy

in fantasy QBS that can run are HUGE and you can usually find a good qb still outside of the first few rounds  but with that being said I never take a QB early 

55 minutes ago, English Jet said:

Cheers

Yeah, if you have children teach them about football and statistics. The amount of time needed to compile and analyze the data required to compete with a lot of these guys is insane.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, English Jet said:

Cheers

just buy a draft kit from fantasy footballer or someone like that. It will get you up to speed and let you deep dive if you want to do your own research. But really ADP is alot better these days because so many people play. Just draft your startign roster first and take a QB or TE early, not both. And you will be respectable.

Good luck!

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yeah, if you have children teach them about football and statistics. The amount of time needed to compile and analyze the data required to compete with a lot of these guys is insane.

the bolded is not true -what is hard to compete with is the payroll some have which is why in daily single entry is the way to go

19 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the bolded is not true -what is hard to compete with is the payroll some have which is why in daily single entry is the way to go

I only did a fantasy once years ago. I have no real idea about it. When you say payroll are you talking about the fantasy team payroll or are people spending an obscene amount of money to better their chances?

Pick the guys you think are going to score alot of TDs.  It comes down to intuition and gut feel.  Every year there are tons of guys who are drafted too high and too low based on "consensus."

Some of my strategies:

- Draft at least 1 RB near the top of your draft.  You need a dependable RB1.
- Unless you draft Kelce early, wait until the middle rounds to draft TE.
- It's easier to pick up a productive WR week to week during the season than it is a RB.
- Do not overdraft Defense and K.  Wait until the final two rounds.
- Try to stagger the bye weeks of the players in your projected starting line up.  Having too many starters with the same bye week will likely end up as an automatic loss that week.
- Do not let emotions dictate your draft.  Personally, I try to avoid Jets players as much as possible.
- Consider drafting the real life backup to your RB1 late in your draft.  If your RB1 gets hurt, you have his replacement ready to plug in.  This is referred to as a "handcuff."

Good luck.

I almost never go RB with the first pick, most often I go QB  That fact that RBS always get hurt and can instantly kill your team offsets their point potential imo.

As for WR's I've learned the hard way that you better make sure the WR has a good QB.

If you really don't know what to do let the draft auto pick for you.

The very biggest thing to do during the year is to be able to get really good players off waivers.  Do research each week and look at the wiver wire each week and prioritize players you want to pick up.

Be aware of what weeks your players have byes.

Hey, I might have an opening in my league and you seem like the perfect candidate.  How quickly can you send the entry fee?  And no worries, I'm sure the other GMs will be glad to help you throughout the season.......    

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, English Jet said:

Cheers

Depends on your draft slot, required roster configuration and scoring system 

52 minutes ago, TommyT said:

I would wager he would have a better lineup. I will then say, do several mock drafts.

auto draft is really bad taking kickers and other stuff or wrong positions when you still need starters. So i def would not reccomend taht, but a few mock drafts def help i agree with you

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, English Jet said:

Cheers

@Pac Good luck and you are welcome.