Zach Martin holdout situation

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

No 

AVT is a dominant guard. You don’t move him away from guard unless you have to. 

Yeah but he’s also a pretty good RT which I’d say is a position of concern right now. Martin is also a dominant guard. The strength of the OLine as a whole would be improving.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

No 

AVT is a dominant guard. You don’t move him away from guard unless you have to. 

Agree but its just a one year thing and next year you would have avt and martin as your guards, u would do it in a heartbeat.

But there is no way dallas can afford to move on from him as they have no one to replace him.  And they need to win now.

• Thumb Down 1

Interesting idea but I say pass.

The combo of Mitchell and AVT on the right side has a chance to be solid.

Getting Martin doesn’t fix the risk at LT. When healthy Becton and Brown are fine. It’s just they have high risk of injury. But again Martin doesnt change the LT situation.

We just need to let it play out.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Getting Martin doesn’t fix the risk at LT. When healthy Becton and Brown are fine. It’s just they have high risk of injury. But again Martin doesnt change the LT situation.

Martin does change the RT situation however as AVT would move to RT full time

Jones is going to want too much tho

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Martin does change the RT situation however as AVT would move to RT full time

Jones is going to want too much tho

He does change the RT situation. But I just think AVT and Mitchell on the right side will be fine. I’m not as worried as most about the OL. Only real issue I see is injury risk at LT.

Martin wants a new contract. Is going from Great RG and Ok RT to Great RG and Good RT worth that price? I don't think so.

Just now, GreenFish said:

He does change the RT situation. But I just think AVT and Mitchell on the right side will be fine. I’m not as worried as most about the OL. Only real issue I see is injury risk at LT.

Martin wants a new contract. Is going from Great RG and Ok RT to Great RG and Good RT worth that price? I don't think so.

Mitchell didn’t look good preseason week 1.  He looked ok in a small sample size last year before getting injured.  Careful with him.  Wayne Hunter looked decent for a quarter season in 2010 and then got Sanchez killed the following year

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Mitchell didn’t look good preseason week 1.  He looked ok in a small sample size last year before getting injured.  Careful with him.  Wayne Hunter looked decent for a quarter season in 2010 and then got Sanchez killed the following year

True and his draft analysis talked about him needing run blocking strength which appears to be still a work in progress. Pass blocking more his thing...

37 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Mitchell got embarrassed in the HOF game. I don’t get how we’re so comfortable just penciling him in as a starter? The other guy is a bum too. Billy Turner

The reason why Zack Martin is holding out is because he is a HOF player and wants to be paid as such. 

I'm no cap-ologist but it would be ridiculous to add Martin and Rodgers.

the dude is a Madden 99 - What would that even look like? no first round picks for 3 years?

Giving Zack Martin a 10-year deal? Are we in Rick DiPietro territory? 

I get we're all in for this year, I get we haven't been to the playoffs in forever but the disregard for the team after 2023 is approaching borderline negligent - how does this effect Sauce/Garrett/AVT contracts? 

Jets went from the cheapest fanbase completely obsessed with cap and dead money, cheering for these tank job rebuilds - and in one year, we're wild and profligate spenders who believe the cap doesn't matter

and none of this sits right. The Jets should be building a program, not throwing first round draft picks at players whos best football is behind them 

remember "No shortcuts?" 

that was the original Salah slogan 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The reason why Zack Martin is holding out is because he is a HOF player and wants to be paid as such. 

I'm no cap-ologist but it would be ridiculous to add Martin and Rodgers.

the dude is a Madden 99 - What would that even look like? no first round picks for 3 years?

Giving Zack Martin a 10-year deal? Are we in Rick DiPietro territory? 

I get we're all in for this year, I get we haven't been to the playoffs in forever but the disregard for the team after 2023 is approaching borderline negligent - how does this effect Sauce/Garrett/AVT contracts? 

Jets went from the cheapest fanbase completely obsessed with cap and dead money, cheering for these tank job rebuilds - and in one year, we're wild and profligate spenders who believe the cap doesn't matter

and none of this sits right. The Jets should be building a program, not just throwing money at players whos best football is behind them 

remember "No shortcuts?" 

that was the original Salah slogan 

I mean all the big money is coming off the books after this year anyway. Mosley, Lawson, Corey Davis, Laken. Not to mention the $35m paycut Rodgers took. Not really worried about the cap as we can def fit another big ticket guy on this squad. 

IMO we have to do something. Rodgers has done everything right and part of that was taking 35mill of a pay cut. And that was to improve the roster. We’ve done 0 moves since then to improve the roster.

Not sure what the move/moves are. But it’s be a huge slap in Rodgers face to allow him to take a pay cut and not have a move or 2 that are significant.

21 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean all the big money is coming off the books after this year anyway. Mosley, Lawson, Corey Davis, Laken. Not to mention the $35m paycut Rodgers took. Not really worried about the cap as we can def fit another big ticket guy on this squad. 

the Aaron Rodgers contract is a non voidable 7 year deal 

Chris Lindstrom just got 100 mil - what would a Zack Martin contract look like? 

how many first rounders does it take to pry a HOF player away from Jerry Jones? 

This whole conversation is ridiculous. and I'm very pro adding more offensive linemen 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Aaron Rodgers contract is a non voidable 7 year deal 

Chris Lindstrom just got 100 mil - what would a Zack Martin contract look like? 

how many first rounders does it take to pry a HOF player away from Jerry Jones? 

This whole conversation is ridiculous. and I'm very pro adding more offensive linemen 

I have no problem overpaying for an All Pro offensive lineman. Who knows how this situation will play out but it remains to be monitored. Maybe his trade value will come down the longer he holds out 

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Maybe his trade value will come down the longer he holds out 

the way it probably ends up, Jerry Jones backs up the Brinks truck August 28th or so and life moves on 

but even as a hypothetical It's an insane proposition. The Jets already don't have a 24 1st rd pick. I just can't wrap my head around what that trade package looks like 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

IMO we have to do something. Rodgers has done everything right and part of that was taking 35mill of a pay cut. And that was to improve the roster. We’ve done 0 moves since then to improve the roster.

Not sure what the move/moves are. But it’s be a huge slap in Rodgers face to allow him to take a pay cut and not have a move or 2 that are significant.

Start McGovern at RG and permanently move AVT to RT while Tippman plays C

Hope Becton stays healthy he’s the best LT we got.  Hopefully Brown is back by October 

I have seen way worse Jet offensive lines in my lifetime.  1995-1996, 2005, 2017-2020.  At least we have talent on the roster this time we just need people to stay on the field

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

the way it probably ends up, Jerry Jones backs up the Brinks truck August 28th or so and life moves on 

but even as a hypothetical It's an insane proposition. The Jets already don't have a 24 1st rd pick. I just can't wrap my head around what that trade package looks like 

Tomlinson and a future 2 and a 3

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Start McGovern at RG and permanently move AVT to RT while Tippman plays C

Hope Becton stays healthy he’s the best LT we got.  Hopefully Brown is back by October 

How is this ADDING talent? And if this was even a thought... don't you think we'd be doing it already?

Rodgers took less to add more. And we haven't added anything. Not a great look for us (considering all the right AR has done so far for us) if we don't start adding soon. Bc you want new guys in camp as early as possible. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

When asked about the trade deadline by Peter King Rodgers spoke about a bunch of things but one thing that raised my eyebrow was the trade deadline. He talked about how it's more of a real trade deadline these days where players get moved. He wanted the Jets to have ammo for that if something came up worth going after.

So I doubt Rodgers is sitting around thinking no move before PS week 2 is a slap in the face of any sort. He has a longer view than that.

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

How is this ADDING talent? And if this was even a thought... don't you think we'd be doing it already?

Rodgers took less to add more. And we haven't added anything. Not a great look for us (considering all the right AR has done so far for us) if we don't start adding soon. Bc you want new guys in camp as early as possible. 

Jamarco Jones and Cook

6 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I still believe opening night is going to be:

Becton - Tomlinson - McGovern - AVT - Mitchell

but how sweet would this be:

Becton - AVT - McG - Martin - Mitchell

When we drafted AVT, we thought Becton-AVT would be the most dominant left side in football...Let's get back to that THIS SEASON!

• Upvote 2