corey davis - to cut.. yes or no ?

jtomm

KRISTOPHER KNOX  -  AUGUST 7, 2023

In May, New York Jets head coach Robert Saleh said wideout Corey Davis would remain with the team in 2023, according to SNY's Connor Hughes. However, the 28-year-old actually sticking with the Jets could depend on how the rest of the receiver room shapes up.

New York likely has four roster spots taken by Garrett Wilson and free-agent additions Allen Lazard, Mecole Hardman Jr. and Randall Cobb. The soon-to-be 33-year-old Cobb would be the logical odd man out, but he's a longtime favorite of new quarterback Aaron Rodgers.Undrafted free agent Jason Brownlee is also pushing for a roster spot. The Southern Miss product has been making "dazzling" catches "throughout camp," according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Davis was fairly productive in 2022, finishing with 32 catches for 536 yards and two touchdowns. However, he provided a passer rating of just 76.0 when targeted.If Davis appears destined to be buried on the depth chart, New York may opt for younger, cheaper options like Brownlee. Releasing Davis would free up $10.5 million in cap space.

>>   https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10085093-2023-nfl-roster-bubble-biggest-names-who-could-be-cut

• Thumb Down 2

Cap space is nice and all, but chemistry with a new QB installing a new Offense is even better. Every rep CD84 makes with Rodgers is one inch closer to being on the field opening day.

If Corey starts dropping balls, running incorrect routs, and Rodgers loses all faith in him, that's a different story. Corey had a drop problem when he first got here, but so far this TC he's been pretty good. We need AS MUCH chemistry on that field opening day a bit more than a few more $s in Woody's pocket.

JoeD has probably already approached his agent about a pay cut, which obviously didn't go anywhere. Plus $10M for a WR2 is pretty cheap, regardless of how many Randel Cobbs we have running around. Before we drafted Garrett, Corey was WR1.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

No reason to take a good player out of the WR group just for cap space unless it’s setting up an Adams/Evans trade

That would not happen until the trade deadline.  No team is trading a player of that magnitude right now.  That would signify to players and fans that you are punting on the season.  

Davis' sole concern is health. From a talent perspective he is easily the second best WR on this team, so no reason for him to go anywhere. If there's fear he could get hurt again, they could perhaps talk to him about turning half his salary into game day bonuses or something like that, so he can still earn it all if he plays, but not much else to do.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

That would not happen until the trade deadline.  No team is trading a player of that magnitude right now.  That would signify to players and fans that you are punting on the season.  

Yeah, but they’ll need a roster spot for…..,

Wait For It GIF by ZDF

Dalvin Cook

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

This is why the internet is sometimes bad - it gives every idiot with a half-assed opinion the ability to share their thoughts with the world.

Davis isn't getting cut. This guy is almost as delusional as the Packers fans who think the Rodgers trade is going to be reworked again to give them higher trade compensation.

wait, what?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I saw it on Twitter (or whatever it is called now) the other day.  Something about the Jets will want to use their 2nd rounder to acquire a guy at the trade deadline, but they can't because they might have to give it up in the Rodgers trade.  So these Packers loons think the trade will be reworked, and the Packers will get our 2024 1st plus more picks, to remove the conditional 2nd rounder from the trade.  I saw some psychopaths suggesting our 2024 and 2025 first round picks plus Sauce, would be the comp in the revised trade.

Too much cheese is clearly bad for the brain.

Wow. We're gonna just throw Sauce in there too? That seems likely. Or as Joe W would say, less than zero.

• Haha 1

I’m not convinced that Cobb is a lock to make the team, especially if it’s Gipson who they’re looking to roster as a slot/returner. I don’t mind articles like this because I’d like to see Davis accept a pay cut, but I expect him to be here and to be a top three receiver on the team this year. 

Injuries happen, and they definitely happen to WRs. It’s an important position to have quality and quantity depth. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, bonkertons said:

I know everyone is excited about Hardman, myself included, but IMO Davis gives us the best shot at a legitimate #2 WR this year.  Unless we somehow trade for a guy like Adams before the season starts, Davis shouldn't be going anywhere.

Hardman is a gadget / special package player. Lazard was brought in because of his blocking ability and familiarity of the offense. He’s a system fit and the WR2 in run formations. The last time davis played with a good QB he almost went for 1k yards and complimented a legit WR1.  He was also on pace for a 1k season in his first season here. Last year was a train wreck. while he is not a star, Davis is better than a lot of people realize. I agree, Davis is probably the 2nd best pass catcher on the roster.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, jtomm said:

However, the 28-year-old actually sticking with the Jets could depend on how the rest of the receiver room shapes up.

I don't believe that is factually accurate tbqh. 

I think this staff sees Davis as a key part of the WR room with Wilson and Lazard, with Hardman behind that three and Cobb here more for spot play and mentorship. 

New York likely has four roster spots taken by Garrett Wilson and free-agent additions Allen Lazard, Mecole Hardman Jr. and Randall Cobb. The soon-to-be 33-year-old Cobb would be the logical odd man out, but he's a longtime favorite of new quarterback Aaron Rodgers.Undrafted free agent Jason Brownlee is also pushing for a roster spot. The Southern Miss product has been making "dazzling" catches "throughout camp," according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Jets will keep 6 WR's this year IMO, Wilson (1), Lazard (2a), Davis (2b), Hardman (4/KR/PR), Cobb (5) and one depth/special teams guy TBD (6).

If Davis appears destined to be buried on the depth chart, New York may opt for younger, cheaper options like Brownlee. Releasing Davis would free up $10.5 million in cap space.

He doesn't appear destined to be buried on the depth chart.  The Jets won't keep UDFA Brownlee over NFL starter and 1st rounder Davis, lol, just because Davis had a couple of challenging years with Zach Wilson and health.  And we don't need that $10M that badly, or he'd already have been cut long before now.

Not saying it's impossible Davis is dumped, but everything do-date indicates the team sees Davis as an asset, not a liability.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

So these Packers loons think the trade will be reworked, and the Packers will get our 2024 1st plus more picks, to remove the conditional 2nd rounder from the trade.

Wait, we’re going to upgrade from a conditional 2nd to a first?  Plus more?  Why?  What sense does that make? A 1st isn’t better than a 2nd on its own?  It isn’t the best case scenario for GB as the trade sits today?

Absolutely not!

For a moment put aside how good he is or isn't. If we plan on making the superbowl, depth is an absolute must. While an argument can be made that the Jets have too many wide receivers, it only takes an injury or two to derail the chances of a team without depth. Therefore, we can't have too many WR's. When you consider that he is also a locker-room leader, then it becomes a no-brainer.

• Upvote 1

So if I have this straight, based on recent board wisdom, we should dump Zach, Becton, Davis, Huff, and Mosley for picks and cap room and that will increase our chances of success in 2023.  Check.

The real and only question with Davis, to me, is his catch %.  It's low and has been lower since he got here.  If he can't keep up with the rest of the WRs, then yes, I would consider moving him, assuming there was someone behind him on the chart that could step up immediately.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wait, we’re going to upgrade from a conditional 2nd to a first?  Plus more?  Why?  What sense does that make? A 1st isn’t better than a 2nd on its own?  It isn’t the best case scenario for GB as the trade sits today?

There's no logic to it at all.

It's just delusional fanboys on the Internet who think the Packers GM is going to fleece the Jets out of even more compensation for a trade that has already been completed.

• Upvote 2