Jump to content

Ruggs sentenced to 3-10 years


Recommended Posts

According to police, on Nov. 2, 2021, Ruggs was driving drunk and reached speeds of 156 mph just seconds before crashing his Chevrolet Corvette Stingray into Tintor's Toyota RAV4, which was traveling just over 43 mph. Tintor's RAV4 was propelled 571 feet. A blood draw about two hours after the crash revealed that Ruggs' blood alcohol level was 0.161 -- more than twice the legal limit in Nevada.

 

Aaron Judge can't hit a baseball that far.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

i.e. let him out when she's no longer dead

+1

The Justice System is a f'ing scam when you see outcomes like this.  I have no doubt he'll be out in 3-4 years, and probably back in the NFL.

One can only hope one of his soon-to-be fellow inmates provides the real justice our system has failed to provide.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

The lawyers and the courts will say that dui manslaughter brings A lighter sentence, because there is no intent to kill. When you are drunk and going 156 mph, that should be intent. 

156 in a 30 or whatever it was is intent. Some of these DA’s man…you just hope a family member never comes across the wrong person who shouldn’t be on the street or behind the wheel.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't get how you act so incredibly irresponsibly resulting in someone losing their life and get a sentence like this.  He should be in jail for life IMO.

jail for life seems harsh given how other deaths are dealt with.  but getting out in 3-5 years seems a bit too low.  i would have expected more than 10 years

  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

According to police, on Nov. 2, 2021, Ruggs was driving drunk and reached speeds of 156 mph just seconds before crashing his Chevrolet Corvette Stingray into Tintor's Toyota RAV4, which was traveling just over 43 mph. Tintor's RAV4 was propelled 571 feet. A blood draw about two hours after the crash revealed that Ruggs' blood alcohol level was 0.161 -- more than twice the legal limit in Nevada.

 

Aaron Judge can't hit a baseball that far.

 

means at the time of the accident his blood alcohol level was almost .2

that's nuts

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

+1

The Justice System is a f'ing scam when you see outcomes like this.  I have no doubt he'll be out in 3-4 years, and probably back in the NFL.

One can only hope one of his soon-to-be fellow inmates provides the real justice our system has failed to provide.  

I can't fathom what that must be like for her family & loved ones, to know how short her life was cut and the excruciating manner in which she died. 

Now imagine their knowledge he could walk after as early as just 3 years after the destruction he caused. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

jail for life seems harsh given how other deaths are dealt with.  but getting out in 3-5 years seems a bit too low.  i would have expected more than 10 years

driving along minding your own business and having your life taken by a maniac driving 150 MPH while drunk seems pretty harsh too, but here we are.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Has he been locked up the whole time? If so I’m wondering if that counts as time served?

No, he was at home but wearing a tag, I believe. He was under a curfew and had to avoid alcohol etc, but he wasn't in jail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't get how you act so incredibly irresponsibly resulting in someone losing their life and get a sentence like this.  He should be in jail for life IMO.

Our sentencing laws don't make sense. 3 to 10 years is way to light. Similar case here in TX where a drunk lady killed multiple people and only got something like 10 years. Frustrating. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I can't fathom what that must be like for her family & loved ones, to know how short her life was cut and the excruciating manner in which she died. 

Now imagine their knowledge he could walk after as early as just 3 years after the destruction he caused. 

agreed but the law has that type of sentence.  he also pled guilty which generally reduces the time.

he's going to be broke after the lawyer fees and civil lawsuit - what a huge mistake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I can't fathom what that must be like for her family & loved ones, to know how short her life was cut and the excruciating manner in which she died. 

Now imagine their knowledge he could walk after as early as just 3 years after the destruction he caused. 

My understanding of this case is that there were retroactive problems with the warrant for the blood draw when Ruggs was in the hospital. Something something with the warrant which put the likelihood of stronger charges/lengthier sentences lower. Including victims families in a plea deal is not a legal requirement in Nevada (I think) but I do know that this specific DA kept Tintor's family updated throughout the process and they supported the accepting of the guilty plea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read another article where the prosecutors were concerned about getting important evidence admitted at trial.

Apparently, the field sobriety tests performed at the scene were not properly administered and there were allegedly problems with how the blood draw was taken at the hospital.  Don't remember the exact details.

If that type of evidence was excluded, they would have no way of proving he was intoxicated.  Which could have lead the prosecutors to seek a lighter plea deal.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

My understanding of this case is that there were retroactive problems with the warrant for the blood draw when Ruggs was in the hospital. Something something with the warrant which put the likelihood of stronger charges/lengthier sentences lower. Including victims families in a plea deal is not a legal requirement in Nevada (I think) but I do know that this specific DA kept Tintor's family updated throughout the process and they supported the accepting of the guilty plea.

They may have accepted it in lieu of the potential for an even worse outcome, but seriously doubt that equates to them being satisfied with it. There are plenty of things I do of my own free will that I'm not happy about doing out of concern for even worse.

I don't know enough about the case details to comment on the blood sample, but that's pretty awful in its own right. 

He was driving recklessly after drinking & killed an innocent person. I've doubts the family shoulder-shrugged with a yeah, whatever if he's out in 3 years he's out in 3 years. The thought of reliving it through a trial, and potentially ending up with an even worse outcome due to (what you're laying out as) incompetence in the blood draw, had to be a consideration.

There's a difference between grudgingly going along with something and eagerly going along with something. This light sentence/plea as a replacement for their young daughter seems like it was the former. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They may have accepted it in lieu of the potential for an even worse outcome, but seriously doubt that equates to them being satisfied with it. There are plenty of things I do of my own free will that I'm not happy about doing out of concern for even worse.

I don't know enough about the case details to comment on the blood sample, but that's pretty awful in its own right. 

He was driving recklessly after drinking & killed an innocent person. I've doubts the family shoulder-shrugged with a yeah, whatever if he's out in 3 years he's out in 3 years. The thought of reliving it through a trial, and potentially ending up with an even worse outcome due to (what you're laying out as) incompetence in the blood draw, had to be a consideration.

There's a difference between grudgingly going along with something and eagerly going along with something. This light sentence/plea as a replacement for their young daughter seems like it was the former. 

I’m just saying all the blame being laid here on the DA is misplaced. They have to prove things beyond a reasonable doubt or the guy walks. If the central and sole piece of evidence that proves he was zonked gets thrown out you’re 100% screwed. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just pure embarrassing. If any of us did that, we’d be looking at life. 
 

I hate to say this but he will do less than 3 years with good behavior. He will come out and possibly tryout for another team. If that doesn’t go well, I’m sure he’ll have a podcast and will make more than the average American. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I’m just saying all the blame being laid here on the DA is misplaced. They have to prove things beyond a reasonable doubt or the guy walks. If the central and sole piece of evidence that proves he was zonked gets thrown out you’re 100% screwed. 

Except I didn't place blame on anybody; just that general the outcome sucks. I'm well aware of the burden of proof & the beyond reasonable doubt requirements, but the truth is that shouldn't have been compromised by incompetence at taking, labeling, or storing a blood sample ffs. 

Thing is, everyone knows he killed her and - tbh whether he was drunk or not - there's no way he can rationalize driving without reckless abandonment of the safety of other going 150mph (or whatever it was); no less in the dark in a residential area with traffic lights.

Place blame wherever one may; it doesn't make it any better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

My understanding of this case is that there were retroactive problems with the warrant for the blood draw when Ruggs was in the hospital. Something something with the warrant which put the likelihood of stronger charges/lengthier sentences lower. Including victims families in a plea deal is not a legal requirement in Nevada (I think) but I do know that this specific DA kept Tintor's family updated throughout the process and they supported the accepting of the guilty plea.

he can thank his lawyers for this.  someone without a good lawyer could have missed this.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...