Am I the only person that thinks our Linebackers Suck?

CJ Mosely is a "Vet Leader" and all, but aside from 1 game vs Cleveland(?), he's been average at best but still enjoying the reputation he made in Baltimore. 

Jamien Sherwood has no business playing LB, but Bob is determined to make himself the Jets Fred Warner...(Not going to happen).

And Quincy is a total JAG.

The fact that they just signed a couple of scrap heap guys, and both of them are probably better than Sherwood just highlights the state of the LB room.

With the Secondary and Dline being top units, get used to Offenses attacking the LB's with screens and TEs until the Jets show the ability to stop them. 

Yeah, yeah, Captain Obvious. 

Sad How Could You GIF by Poo~Pourri

• Upvote 6
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 2

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

CJ Mosely is a "Vet Leader" and all, but aside from 1 game vs Cleveland(?), he's been average at best but still enjoying the reputation he made in Baltimore. 

Jamien Sherwood has no business playing LB, but Bob is determined to make himself the Jets Fred Warner...(Not going to happen).

The fact that they just signed a couple of scrap heap guys, and both of them are probably better than Sherwood just highlights the state of the LB room.

With the Secondary and Dline being top units, get used to Offenses attacking the LB's with screens and TEs until the Jets show the ability to stop them. 

I agree they lack depth but Sherwood is a decent NFL LB, Mosley is above average in knowing where to be just a bit slower in his old age and Quincy has been getting better... but beyond that they are in serious trouble... maybe Sutten or whatever his name is shows up ...

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

I agree they lack depth but Sherwood is a decent NFL LB, Mosley is above average in knowing where to be just a bit slower in his old age and Quincy has been getting better... but beyond that they are in serious trouble... maybe Sutten or whatever his name is shows up ...

I disagree on Sherwood (and he's a local kid, went to Jensen Beach HS), but next draft OL (again, 😆) and 4-3 LBs are priorities...

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

But I also think this defense is designed to be beaten up a bit underneath.  This is an attacking D - that's going to leave the mid-range, screen stuff and running game more vulnerable.

I agree, this feels like the weak point. It sure was last year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think it's probably the weakest link on a very good defense...

But I also think this defense is designed to be beaten up a bit underneath.  This is an attacking D - that's going to leave the mid-range, screen stuff and running game more vulnerable.

I think the LB's are fine.  Can't have stars everywhere, but this D is pretty close to it.

Not if the TEs and RBs are walking all over the defense like they have since Rex left... Its still a major issue if they figure out how to stop it because coaches like BB will walk all over the defense

• Upvote 1

Our LB's are without a doubt our weak link on defense. Our D line and secondary are among the best which compensates for it. 

Right now with the Jets im concerned about....

1) LB Corps

2) RB room without a fully healthy Breece (this could change soon)

3) Backup QB 

4) O line (still seems a little to suspect for me with Rodgers behind them)

Im comfortable with QB, WR's, TE's, secondary, D line and special teams. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Weird thread title as there have been tons of posts about the LBs here. The Jets ran with three or more CBs more than 67% of the time last season. Sherwood will be a part time player. Their base defense is essentially a 4-2-5, and the 4 & 5 parts are really good. 

I was going to say the same thing, you really only need 2 good LBs, it's rare you have 3 on the field at the same time.

A good nickel is much more important than a good 3rd LB

• Upvote 2

The way I see it, the LB'rs are more of an unknown than anything. Saleh seems comfortable with the younger guys replacing Kwon. They had plenty of time/money to sign him if they wanted to. Saleh always talks about the balance between the explosive athleticism of young guys and experience of older guys and how he wants to get the younger guys experience asap so he can get that explosive athleticism on the field. Is he taking a big risk with guys like Sherwood and Surratt? Hard for me to judge that until I see them in real games. 

Maybe they just suck. Maybe Saleh knows something we don't. Time will tell.

• Upvote 3

The second and third level of the Jets defense is pretty much a single unit.  The "swarm". will work as well as it did last year as long as the defensive line causes destruction with four guys.  They have plenty of high quality beef for the line, so I am  not worried. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe, but I think we're in an era where your inside and strongside LB's don't really need to be all that great to have a great defense. They just need to not be horrible. So long as you have a good guy on the weakside you're fine otherwise. A solid depth of DB's to sub in consistently around all the different packages seems to be the higher priority in today's game.

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

My opinion is that compared to other linebacking groups in the NFL today, the Jets would be considered slightly below average.

It has perplexed me that the Jets have not at least drafted or signed in free agency one top tier linebacker.  

And as for other teams throwing screens on the Jets, this has been happening all of last year with much success, and will continue to happen this season.  Get used to it!

On another note, I feel that the linebackers of today need to be leaner and quicker to compensate for the multiple screen passes and west coast type of offenses that pervade the NFL today.  A guy like Lawrence Taylor would be amazing in any era, but a guy like Marvin Jones of the Jets, who was a bonafide thumper, would not be as successful as he was in a different era, where a lot more runs up the gut occurred.

Just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

No but it’s mostly irrational hate on Mosley because of the contract that the jets negotiated, agreed to and signed off on. He’s acknowledged by all the coaches and players as a great middle linebacker 

think for yourself. 

• Upvote 1

Having just observed the D at yesterday's practice in Spartanburg, the whole session was an exercise in Carolina utilizing a quick read/quick throw offense that neutrallizes the pass rush and doesn't really challenge the CBs.  In the few times they challenged the secondary, Young threw a pick 6 to Echols or they mostly missed.  The Panthers moved up and down the field hitting quick 5-10 yd slants and curls attacking the Jets LBs.  In individual drills there was no one that could block Quinnen Williams, and McDonald/Huff were quick off the edge.  But it didn't matter because Young and Dalton were playing pitch and catch to wide open guys and got rid of the ball quickly.  

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

It's the weakest unit on the team IMO.

This is true, but as said above, at least last year the DL and DBs made up for their deficiencies.   There has been a year of film-so watch the short passes, again.

This was the same issue that the Jets had with the 3-4 with Bowles, so they drafted Darron Lee to cover the swing pass. 

This is why Chuck Clark was signed.   His absence will hurt.

But, even if you run a defense that does not rely on LB play, that does not mean you can’t try harder to find good LBs.  The 49ers still found Fred Warner in the 3rd round.  JD underachieved on this.  

3 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

The expectation is that the defensive line will eat up linemen and prevent them from getting to the second level so that the linebackers can run free.

No, the d-line is tasked with penetrating, causing havoc, and getting to the ball in the backfield. As opposed to occupying blockers so the LBs can run free as you suggest which is a 3-4 concept not a wide 4-3 concept. The LBs speed is more for pass coverage and playing zone rather than plugging a hole.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Linebacker is a very solid unit.  We have an all pro, a guy who hits like a mack truck and a young guy w/ speed.  Sarrat is good for depth.

Linebacker is not the issue with this team.  Neither is running back.

Its oline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Joe Douglas.

I think it needs to be remembered that salehs defense is essentially a 4-2-5 so the lbs are pretty exposed. My biggest issue is their inability to stop the short passes and cover tes but they do that when they played 3-4 either.  We’ll see how things turn out with better safeties and dline play.